header.nohb.html

ANY LOVE FOR REVEREND AL?

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
Anyone else think he looks like Mike Damone from Fast Times At Ridgemont High? This picture caught my eye.
I love Alex's playing and have since the beginning.
Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 5.35.18 PM.png

boomstick

Reaction score
I think of him as a big-kit groover. Soild, reliable, money-in the bank, rock your world foundation builder.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have to say I was a bit disappointed by this alleged peek behind AVH’s massive drum kit that I first saw on this Forum… The double beaters make me feel he’s kind of tricking us … like having giant Marshalls on stage that aren’t plugged in. View attachment 518677 View attachment 518677 View attachment 518678 View attachment 518678

Well every concert that I know of that has a giant wall of Marshal amp just look for the one cabinet that is miced.... They are almost always purely for show these days. merely stage props. Again with pedal boards, effects, and mixers as they are, amps are almost obsolete any more.

Last edited:

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Take a few minutes to watch a live video of "Hot for Teacher" then tell me what you think.

PS: One of the last rock drummers to have a completely unique and individualistic sound. For that I revere him, even if I don't connect with that sound.

Bri6366

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Big Al was a massive influence on me, especially the first two or three albums. In a Van Halen picture book I have by Neil Zlozower, Zakk Wylde called Alex the "Louie Bellson of rock drumming." On a few occasions I had a vision of an ultimate kit in my mind and then Alex could come out with it (and then some...more than two kicks never entered my mind...lol). Drums are a tough instrument to have such a unique sound and style and for Alex such a huge sound at that. Though not nearly as technical, I actually enjoy his late 80s - 90s era drum solos more than I do Peart's solos of the same time or later. The snare work is so much smoother and he sounds like a guy who grew up playing jazz rather than a guy who tried to cop that style years later.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has his own thing . I never learned any songs but used to listen to the 1st 2 albums a lot when they came out . I didn’t play drums back then and somehow never was in a band that any other songs than the easy ones …

Last edited:

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful shuffle feel, and I also love the way he can seamlessly slide back and forth from 4/4 to odd times in a song. "Unchained" is a masterpiece hard rock song IMO and a slick drum part he constructed from beginning to bridge to end. It grooves, swings, gets syncopated funky, whimsical and then closes like a freight train. I smile every time I hear it.

I heard "Finish What Ya' Started" the other day - and the interplay between the guitar and rim clicks by the brothers was really clever and the fun they were having with it came through on the track.

Loved some of the deeper cuts like "Hang Em' High" "Get Up" and "The Full Bug" where he let the double bass chops shine.

Tarkus

Reaction score
Would love to see Alex playing with Robert Plant/Jimmy Page on a "Bonham" type setup
Mic

I guess there might be a connection.

I stumbled once about the note that Jeff Ocheltree (drum technician of John Bonham) worked later on for Alex Van Halen. That explained - at least to me - a lot of his unconventional drum sounds.

Ocheltree explaining Bonham sound:

But I read also some comments that Ocheltree did not have so much to do with John Bonham (according to Jason Bonham). Don't know what is true ... maybe here's somebody who knows more.

...and of course I like Alex Van Halen. Very innovative, fresh and powerful drumming. During 80s/90s he was one of THE hard rock drummers worldwide. Just didn't know his nickname. Took me quite some time to understand what 'Reverend Al' signature meant on a 24 inch Paiste Ride that I liked (but never owned).

Last edited:

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
It's nice to see all this love for Alex. When I was a teenager in the 80's and had a much smaller circle of music that I liked, Van Halen was always my number one. I loved them when I first heard them in 1982 and loved them after the change to Sammy Hagar as the 5150 tour was my first live VH show. I get so tired of the best drummer comparisons, especially with Neil Peart. I loved Neil in RUSH and I loved Alex in VH. I think being exposed to more jazz and 60's music in my late teens is what really opened me up to a lot of other music. I may like a ton of other music and drummers but Alex has sat in my number one spot all these years. He is just one of those guys that has such a distinct sound. I may not sound like Alex for the most part, but everytime I hit a backbeat rimshot and, slosh my hats and ride a crash is a direct influence from Alex. Alex most undoubtedly picked up those influences from John Bonham, Ringo and Ginger Baker. So in reality I should probably be thanking Earl Palmer, Hal Blaine, Buddy Rich and Gene krupa... Lol

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
AVH is another drummer immediately recognizable from the first note. Great drummer, master of odd times and syncopation, great musician. I hope we haven’t heard the last of him.

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Alex is also one of my all-time favorites. Love both Roth & Hagar versions of the band. I also hope we have not heard the last of him.

Edit to add... so many great tunes. Fair Warning may be my favorite album of theirs and "Sinners Swing" does just that...

Last edited:

snappy

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a bunch of love...

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Would like to hear him on other projects. Seems to keep a low profile, but it would be nice to do some interviews, and maybe a few lessons on drum channel. Why not? Like to see him more active in the music scene post VH.