Any of you have a one-trip kit?

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have my entire kit on one cart and all the hardware in the HW bag. Pulled both of them (actually, I pushed the cart while I pulled the bag) at the same time down the sidewalks to and from the venue. Yes, it's a true 1-trip kit!

Yamaha Recording Custom 22/12/14 with SD495 snare, FP9 pedal, Gibraltar throne seat/base, drum rug, and stick bag strapped down with extra-long flat bungee cords on a folding Cosco Shifter 300-lb. capacity cart.

All Yamaha 700-series hardware in the 48" Ahead Ogio hardware bag: 3 boom/straight cymbal stands, 1 hi-hat stand, 1 snare stand, rack tom mount, floor tom legs, spare FP850 BD pedal. (Was going to use the Crosstown hardware, but I didn't have it accessible when I was packing the car.)

I took this photo so I could remember exactly how to package it for future use.

Anyone else doing the same? Would love to see if you have an even more efficient setup!
1tripkit copy.JPG

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
My suitcase kit is a "one trip" kit. I carry the fold up stool and pedal in hand, and the entire drum set (10 tom, 14 FT, and 10 snare, plus all hardware) fits in a suitcase and I roll it into rehearsals. 6 minute to setup!

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One trip is the only way I fly. View attachment 427462
Ah, the Rock and Roller cart! That's probably my next upgrade. Maybe sometime this summer, I'll invest. But, I really like the Cosco because it folds down into a much more compact size (virtually flat) than the Rock and Roller. It's much lighter, too. But, the space and capacity of the R & R cart makes 1-trips always a breeze.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I did, and I was totally proud of it and digging it, but then I started singing for the band as well, and that added a boom mike stand and PA speaker which do not fit on the cart. Grr.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I have my entire kit on one cart and all the hardware in the HW bag. Pulled both of them (actually, I pushed the cart while I pulled the bag) at the same time down the sidewalks to and from the venue. Yes, it's a true 1-trip kit!

Yamaha Recording Custom 22/12/14 with SD495 snare, FP9 pedal, Gibraltar throne seat/base, drum rug, and stick bag strapped down with extra-long flat bungee cords on a folding Cosco Shifter 300-lb. capacity cart.

All Yamaha 700-series hardware in the 48" Ahead Ogio hardware bag: 3 boom/straight cymbal stands, 1 hi-hat stand, 1 snare stand, rack tom mount, floor tom legs, spare FP850 BD pedal. (Was going to use the Crosstown hardware, but I didn't have it accessible when I was packing the car.)

I took this photo so I could remember exactly how to package it for future use.

Anyone else doing the same? Would love to see if you have an even more efficient setup!
View attachment 427458
I don't know if I could make that setup anymore efficient (couldn't you put the throne, bd pedal and stickbag in the hardware bag?), but your question reminds me of the time I had a '68 Bug.
I carted a 5-piece kit with 3 cymbals in that car.
Got kind of inventive, fitting everything in.
BD and floor tom in the back seat.
Rack toms in the passenger seat.
Snare drum and BD pedal in the little area behind the back seat.
Cymbals were stacked and tied together with the clutch, wrapped in a towel and rode under the bonnet.
All of the stands set in the footwell of the backseat.
Sometimes the BD pedal would ride in the footwell of the passenger seat, sometimes it rode on the floor under the stands.
Actually wasn't as cramped as you'd think and I actually found extra space to put the toms in, whenever I had to give someone a ride.

Elvis

Last edited:

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Elvis, that reminds me of my '67 Mustang, it was loaded some what the same as your Bug. The 14x20 Bass drum did fit in the trunk.

I drive a Pickup now with a fiberglass top. With my Roc-N-Roller I have a 20" Bass, 10, 12, tom, snare and accessories foot pedal bag. On top of that is a speaker stand bag with cymbal stand and fan; in the small 28" Ahead roller bag with all other hardware I can make it in one trip buy pushing and pulling both. Although in larger venues I do have a small mic. stand monitor in a small roller bag that I will make an extra trip.

sherm

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
I've got my rig down to two trips. It's the rare gig where I can't park fairly close. How much time is spent putting everything just so on the cart? And what about the inevitable curbs and steps? I can have a four piece with three cymbals set up and ready to play in 20 minutes from the time I park the car.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not 1 but I can usually make it in 2, especially if my wife helps organize the cart-loading part lol!! I have a heavy duty dolly (technically called a hand truck) that converts to a roll-cart with the pull of a cotter pin. I "customized" it shortly after buying it with a piece of plywood to make a platform and a spare piece of carpet I had laying around. I wish it was a LITTLE bit bigger, but it's super strong and can haul the weight no problem. I only bring it if I know I can use it (no steps) otherwise it's a pain to haul around if I can't use it, but if I CAN it's great.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've got my rig down to two trips. It's the rare gig where I can't park fairly close. How much time is spent putting everything just so on the cart? And what about the inevitable curbs and steps? I can have a four piece with three cymbals set up and ready to play in 20 minutes from the time I park the car.
Actually, now that I have my cart setup in place, it doesn't take more than a couple minutes to get everything loaded and strapped down on my cart. Stack all the drums, wiggle everything else in place, strap it down, done. It's just the first time that's a little long, since you're trying to see how you can get it all to fit in a precise fashion.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I could make that setup anymore efficient (couldn't you put the throne, bd pedal and stickbag in the hardware bag?), but your question reminds me of the time I had a '68 Bug.
Elvis
I don't want to put the throne or BD pedal in the hardware bag, because then the hardware bag gets too heavy with the throne in there, and my FP9 is too new to get all banged up in the hardware bag without being its own case. Yes, I have tossed the stickbag in there; it's small, so it kind of doesn't matter where it goes, really.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For my local causal gigs, my philosophy is simple... if it takes more than one trip, then I brought too much stuff!

The other larger kits take more trips, but I always keep a nice 1 trip set for my local stuff...

20171231_092515 copy copy.jpg

Dave HCV

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My maximum kit is 3 up, 2 down. With that setup, everything except the hardware case fits on my Rock 'n' Roller cart. I push the cart with one hand and pull the hardware case behind me. With the more common gigs that only need 1 up and 1 down, everything fits on the cart. So, one trip no matter what.

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Generally speaking yes - one trip for my typical 12/15/20 and all associated gear. If I get adventurous and add a tom or two for a specific show, then I might have to make another trip to the vehicle.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Back when I lived in a big city, there were two specific and critical reasons to get everything in one load:
First, we were double parked, every time, on a busy street. Second, any gear left unattended (either in the car or in the first load dropped off in the club) was likely to get robbed. If we had two people per car, one could stay with the gear while the other found parking like a half mile away.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
One and done with my Rock n Roller. That thing was the best gift to myself, next to a good quality throne. The two best things I've bought for my drums that don't make a sound.

Once you figure out the tetris, it's easy to get the drums loaded consistently and quickly. I'd rather spend 2 minutes loading the cart than an extra 5+ minute trip to get a second load. Curbs aren't an issue. Usually there's a ramp, but if not I just lift the front end over the curb then let it ramp up the support struts in the bottom back. I don't even bother tieing mine down. I've dumped it once in a parking lot where the sidewalk curb met the asphalt but that was because I cut it too short. Grass and gravel are really the only problems and we don't have to deal with that too often. If I do, I just take my hardware case in separately and have a bandmate help lift and carry the cart.

My throne is laid across the top of the bass drum between that red case (mics and mixer) and the brown duffle bag. Rack tom is just the other side of the red case. Right side is floor tom, snare, and cymbals. Setup is similar with my 24/16/12 kit, but with the rack tom and red case front to back instead of side to side like here. Hardware case holds 2 cymbal stands, snare stand, hi hat stand, boom mic stand, two fans, rug, floor tom legs, L-arm for my Gretsch kit, and mini boom for my Pearl and Ludwig kits. Time from car to first downbeat can be as quick as 15 minutes, fully mic'ed.

IMG_20180902_220909.jpg

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I don't want to put the throne or BD pedal in the hardware bag, because then the hardware bag gets too heavy with the throne in there, and my FP9 is too new to get all banged up in the hardware bag without being its own case. Yes, I have tossed the stickbag in there; it's small, so it kind of doesn't matter where it goes, really.
Isn't that hardware bag on wheels? I thought I spotted rollers.

Latest posts