Any of you have a one-trip kit?

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I can make it in one trip with my rock and roller cart. 4 piece kit or two if I don't have the cart. I have two backpacks which helps if I have to carry everything in.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Elvis, that reminds me of my '67 Mustang, it was loaded some what the same as your Bug. The 14x20 Bass drum did fit in the trunk.

I drive a Pickup now with a fiberglass top. With my Roc-N-Roller I have a 20" Bass, 10, 12, tom, snare and accessories foot pedal bag. On top of that is a speaker stand bag with cymbal stand and fan; in the small 28" Ahead roller bag with all other hardware I can make it in one trip buy pushing and pulling both. Although in larger venues I do have a small mic. stand monitor in a small roller bag that I will make an extra trip.

sherm
'67 Mustang. Lucky you!
My kit was a little bigger. Generic version of a Hollywood / Big Beat.
Eventually, I sold the bug and got a '73 Vega GT station wagon.
Neat little car and with the rear seat folded down I had room for that kit, a Peavy 4x10 amp, three guitars and the guy who played them....and it was a lot less stuffed than the bug was with just the 5-piece.
For a while, I even lived in it. A time I fondly remember as "The Summer I went camping." ;)

Elvis

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Isn't that hardware bag on wheels? I thought I spotted rollers.
Yep, it's on wheels, but since this is hardware bag #3 for me, I've learned not to overload them in weight. I've had the wheels break, zippers go out of their tracks, holes get poked, and whanot.

However, those previous two HW bags were NOT the Ahead Ogio Sled. This Ahead bag is by far the toughest hardware bag I've ever seen, so it could probably handle the extra weight.

I suppose I'm just a bit scarred from the experiences of previously lugging around cheaply-made HW bags. Which is why I decided to spent the money and upgrade to the Ahead.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Its your gear, Targalx. Treat it however you see fit.
Its just when you mentioned overloading the HW bag, I thought you meant it would be too heavy and clumsy slung over your shoulder.
Your reasons are very valid. Good luck.

Elvis

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yep, it's on wheels, but since this is hardware bag #3 for me, I've learned not to overload them in weight. I've had the wheels break, zippers go out of their tracks, holes get poked, and whanot.

However, those previous two HW bags were NOT the Ahead Ogio Sled. This Ahead bag is by far the toughest hardware bag I've ever seen, so it could probably handle the extra weight.

I suppose I'm just a bit scarred from the experiences of previously lugging around cheaply-made HW bags. Which is why I decided to spent the money and upgrade to the Ahead.
I like the Ahead roller bags; I had all three sizes at one time. The 48" carried 10', 12', 6.5x14 snare and 14" tom barely, it was a tight fit. The others carried Gibraltar hardware, pedals, fan, etc. The 28" & 38" were all to heavy for an old fart like me plus it was three trips and had to carry the bass for 1 trip. "What was I thinking!" So all the drums got new Ahead cases and stands, a new Roc-N-Roller and I kept the 28" roller bag.

sherm

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I had a 1990 Mercury Grand Marquis and amazingly I could fit my 4-piece kit with cymbals, gear bag, and hardware bag all in the trunk. Didn't have to move the spare either. I think this was before I got the Rock n Roller because there's no way that would have fit too.

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
Yep one trip for me: cymbals in backpack with slim Tama Powerpad stickbag inside, snare bag in one hand, iron cobra pedal case in the other.

Bass player carries the bass drum; guitarist carries the two tom bags; keyboard player pulls the hardware sled.

Appears to me you guys are overthinking this. You’ve got to train them. Guitarists take the longest.

Iristone

Reaction score
What about electronic? Doesn't even need a cart. :wink:
Seriously, I think my Ludwig kit can be one trip too. Maybe not if I'm to add the Rogers concert toms of ny dreams.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I put everything except my throne on my R&R cart. The throne is a RnS with backrest, so I just fold the legs and carry it along.

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My Stainless Steel bop ( 12,14,18 ) is a one tripper. It also fits entirely in the trunk of my Kia Optima, including 2 snares, accessory (mics, Ipad, hand percussion, cables) bag, emergency backpack, and Cart.

Last edited:

jsp210

Reaction score
Yesterday's shenanigans at a clubhouse private affair. Not a pretty packing job but it was stable and a one trip success. I stuck the throne seat on top of the 12" tom in that top bag. SKB hardcases provided a stable base.
IMG_20200215_173300.jpg
IMG_20200215_181623.jpg

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a 1990 Mercury Grand Marquis and amazingly I could fit my 4-piece kit with cymbals, gear bag, and hardware bag all in the trunk. Didn't have to move the spare either. I think this was before I got the Rock n Roller because there's no way that would have fit too.
Yeah! Actually, I am not surprised. It’s a Grand Marquis! Those are largest Ford sedans of last few decades, along with the Crown Vic and Town Car. And those trunks are massive compared to practically any other sedan.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Yeah! Actually, I am not surprised. It’s a Grand Marquis! Those are largest Ford sedans of last few decades, along with the Crown Vic and Town Car. And those trunks are massive compared to practically any other sedan.
We joked that it was the perfect mafia car because it could hold so many bodies! And the ride was so unbelievably smooth. It was like sitting on your sofa in the living room. It would just glide over the road. Sometimes I miss that car.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I had a fancy cart I could do one trip. Otherwise it's 2 sometimes 3.

Groceries though, always one trip.
Same here. Someone here at work stole my Milwalkee portable folding hand-truck. So now I look like the cab scene from The Gene Kurpa Story carrying my stuff from the car to the bandstand. GRRR!

Latest posts