Any Pearl drums enthusiasts? What’s your opinion on Pearl?

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
First kit was a Pearl. The GLX will probably be my last kit to go too. A bit of sentimental attachment to my GLX. It’s been around the country and overseas with me, I’ve never had any problems. Still sounds great - thanks Pearl.
"G", as in "G series" shell. Pearl Maple shells from the early 1980's. Nice. :thumbup:

cheers Elvis. That bass drum is an MLX I rescued from being attached to the ceiling as an advertisement in a drum shop. Best $50 investment you could ask for, been gigging it ever since.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've tapped on an MHX kit in a store once(used), and the tone was warm and deep. Later, I heard one being played up close, and my conclusion is that they aren't terribly loud, but that vintage-like warm character is there, bigtime. They must record like a dream.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention my Masters Studio(birch) 5x14 snare and my 90s 6.5x14 Session(birch/mahogany) snare. Pearl has a Ludwig-like mojo with snares!

Dan

kerryprance

Reaction score
I still have my forst set of drums , from about 1966. They are " Stewarts" . I looked them up and found out that that was Pearl before they changed their name.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am not an enthusiast, nor a hater. I think that their snare drums stand along side Ludwig snare drums as the finest made from any of the big companies. I've always contended that you cannot go wrong with either a Pearl or a Ludwig snare drum - even the lower tier ones.
You summed it up for me!

Tasty808

Reaction score
what’s up guys? I’ve been a huge Pearl fan for the past 7-8 years. My first (real) kit I had narrowed down to a Pearl Export or Yamaha Stage Custom. I went with the Yamaha. I had that for years before selling and buying a Tama Superstar Hyperdrive kit. Then moved to a ddrum Ash Pocket kit before buying my first Pearl kit when the Session Studio Classics were (re)introduced.

I love the look of Pearl kits and the fact that they are so easy to customize. I know someone mentioned they all have different lugs but the majority of them have the same lug-hole spacing making them interchangeable between series. I didn’t dig the sound of my Session Studio Classic but absolutely Fell in love with the Session Studio Select line they put out in 2017. So much so that I put together a shell bank and also a show off kit in a different finish/hardware combo. I also have about 12 Pearl snares that are all uniquely beautiful and sound killer.
73229363-A6C0-4B30-A061-2F4FE6788E84.jpeg
B1946E77-74A6-42ED-835F-B747B0E5D954.jpeg
6BAA2232-80AC-4838-ADEE-2828BF585AC8.jpeg
5BEDBBF6-982D-4CBB-8F11-0CD81EB5690F.jpeg
BC8BE5B1-9465-4EBD-A82D-A98C80C16E56.jpeg
E13FA5F3-79DF-4601-8B3B-3FFE975D1FB9.jpeg
928FF205-C8AA-4A36-AC74-9CFB0CCA3738.jpeg
0629251A-9341-4A81-98C6-19395DC847FE.jpeg

MICHAELT

Reaction score
I know what you mean. My first, and current playing, kit was a Slingerland and I smile whenever I see one as well.
I also own and play a first year Pearl Masters Custom(22,13,16) that I love.. thin maple shells and very organic sounding.
Also I worked musical instrument retail as a drum guy in Boston for 27 years( till ‘16)and assembled many Pearl kits, of every level , during that time frame. I always thought that you get a good idea of quality while putting a set together. I found Pearl drums and hardware, with very few exceptions always felt solid, with roundness, smooth fittings, precision edges, and superb finishes, and wraps...high quality workmanship at every price point and a better value than most.

Deafmoon

Reaction score
Before moving to play Gretsch, I played Pearl drums from 1985 through 1998. Loved them and their hardware was and still is the best out there. That said, I played dozens of Pearl snare drums and never found one that gave me the sensitivity I desired. But thiner bass & toms were great!

kzac

Reaction score
Pearl, makes good hardware, and the very best low volume drum heads.
However, I never liked their drums.. Owned them and played them .... they all sounded dead ... near zero sustain, and their head tone rings off flat.... They were very difficult to get tuned and and don't retain their tuning. I continued to try them through the years, finding them to be identical to my initial reaction.
I think they experimented early on with designs that pleased recording engineers, which is the exact opposite of the design necessary for live play.
I never recommend Pearl drums, even through I have been asked many times over the decades. I always tell folks to go play them and compare them to other drum manufacturers products.

Slingwig26

Reaction score
My first kit was a Pearl, I have a soft spot for this brand, Whenever I see that logo it puts a smile on my face.

With all these manufacturers on the market, where do they stand today? I know they have well-known endorsers and ALL of their models are made in Taiwan, their hardware is probably one of the better ones. What do you think of Pearl drums? Would you pick up a modern Pearl kit?
Looking at their website, the Masters Maple Complete seems to be a great choice for a new kit and a 20/14/12 is $1400 brand new.
Why would someone pick Pearl over Yamaha, Gretsch, or Ludwig?
I have a great Pearl snare, 5.5x13 Sensitone chrome over steel and I also have 2 bass drums. 14x18 and 16x20 Session Series, wine red lacquer that sound awesome. I have the toms for sale but I’m keeping the kicks. I also have Pearl Masters Custom toms, 14, 12 & 10, 4 ply with re-rings. I am selling those also, I can’t seem to get a good tone out of them. I don’t like the edges, cut very steep. Perhaps I like more of a roundover. I also have an old cheap Pearl pedal which I love, great action. I am also not a fan of the tom mounts. I am typically a Ludwig, Slingerland and TamAHA guy.
So......in conclusion.....they have stuff I like and stuff I don’t, just like any other manufacture.

kzac

Reaction score
Not a Pearl fan at all to be honest . There are so many other brands I would choose before Pearl . They just don’t excite me at all. This is not to say they are bad drums , they just don’t tick off all the boxes for me . I have owned two Pearl kits over my career with the last being a reissue Wood Fibreglass kit I got in trade . Played them at one gig and knew after the first song I would be selling them . Just not for me .
I'm the same way with Pearl... Something about them never provided me the satisfaction I was looking for in drums... they always seemed dead ... no sustain .... shallow voice... muddiness between the toms... that sort of thing .... Gave them a whirl several times.... I was just never satisfied with their sound.

I like their hardware however, its quite sturdy.. And I like their mesh heads, which have far better tone than the Remo version. I probably still have some Pearl hardware in my mix-O-stuff

kzac

Reaction score
Sonor makes great drums.
No offense intended to the owners.
To me, the Pearl pipes look better than this tom suspension system.
I owned Sonor drums, Sold them but regret selling them.... they were easy to tune and sounded excellent... I just despised their tom mount contraption .... Did they never hear of universal hardware configurations?

The TanMan

Reaction score
My first kit was a Pearl, I have a soft spot for this brand, Whenever I see that logo it puts a smile on my face.

With all these manufacturers on the market, where do they stand today? I know they have well-known endorsers and ALL of their models are made in Taiwan, their hardware is probably one of the better ones. What do you think of Pearl drums? Would you pick up a modern Pearl kit?
Looking at their website, the Masters Maple Complete seems to be a great choice for a new kit and a 20/14/12 is $1400 brand new.
Why would someone pick Pearl over Yamaha, Gretsch, or Ludwig?
I got my first Pearl at the beginning of this year. And I must say: pretty steady quality, nice sound. I also have a signature snare from Pearl and I’m loving it! And good for you wallet as well.

fusseltier

Reaction score
I Have a custom tama star walnut set with a 20 inch bass.
The drums are a work of art.
But I have a pearl eliminator 3002c double pedal and a pearl hihat stand. And I'd say they are the best hardware.
I have a limited edition maple snare from pearl, and it's awful and I had to replace all the lugs because they all snapped off. Luckily I knew someone at pearl and they sent me the complete set of lugs, but better lugs, and free.
I'd have to say my star walnut 14x6.5 snare is one of the best I've ever had or heard.

Dan K

Reaction score
I have a real soft spot for Pearl. I had my Sonor kit stolen and it took me a few years to be able to buy another kit (just out of college and married) and I scored on a Pearl Export that allowed me to get back into drumming. I played that for a few years and then bought a used Hoshino era Camco set from James Morton (drumming book author). It is a great kit and I still have it but it was all jazz sizes. I added a BLX kit - 4 toms in square sizes and a 22 inch bass. The cool thing is that it was painted in what my wife called my "Rastafari burst" - NICE sounding and great looking kit.

I have to admit that I have moved on to the DW kit in my avatar but I STILL like Pearl drums!

pbloxam

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Been a Pearl enthusiast for many years. First Pearl setup was the World Series Lacquer finish in Antique white. Later I moved to the Master Series Birch...Have used it in the studio and many engineers liked the fact that they eq'd relatively flat with no need for gaffers tape or moongels, etc...I have slingerlands and Ludwig's but mostly use the Pearls....

Attachments

Brandon Geiger

Reaction score
I’ve had three Pearl kits over the years. Started with an Export, then a Session Studio Select birch, then a red cherry sunburst Masters Studio. Sold all those kits years ago but I do now have a forum beater kit which is more than adequate for sketchy venues. I also used to have a free floating maple snare and a 12/7 maple soprano snare. The soprano was awesome, never should have sold that one. I agree that the tom mounting system sucks, it’s too bulky and heavy. I would love to have one of the real old kits that had the Pearl script logos on the shells, there were a couple of really cool types of lugs/claws back then too. Personally I’m gonna have to say I’d pick Yamaha over Pearl if I was going to get Japanese drums but honestly I’d much rather have a Gretsch or Ludwig. Has anyone seen the video online from Rogers that showcases their new pink oyster kit? That’s what I’d choose. I agree with the first guy though, I’ll always have a soft spot for Pearl Drums.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Masters birch kits, especially 7.5mm shells, toms with cast hoops, are extremely well pre-eq'ed for pop/funk etc.
I'd like to talk about decay time a bit. To say Pearl has "no sustain" is an over-generalization.
You can change a lot by choosing the right components/specs. I used to play BRX 10x10, 12x10 rack toms, later got a 13x10. The deeper depths with cast hoops do sound a bit short at higher tunings, but the "fast" size 13 has a longer decay.The you could swithc to triple flange hoops for a more open sound. All these came with an optimount mounted a cymbal stand - longer decay as oppsedto the old style mount screwed to the shell, on the bass drum.
So, I'd say some designs are a product of their times, the 10x10 was an 80s idea, the cast hoops was a later 90s idea, together they didn't work out the best (for higher tunings, that is,; tuned lower it's great) . A 7x10 with triple flange hoops with the same shell design would have a longer, more open sound.

DrummerAt125

Reaction score
I don’t think I’d ever not recommend pearl to someone. They’ve got something for everyone whether it’s good starter kits, or the masters series at the top end, or some of the other ranges in the middle.

They have something for every price point and at every price point their stuff does the job well.

I’ve owned lots from a few brands including a very expensive SJC Custom, but it’s with Pearl that I’ve ended up. I’ve a 2005ish Masters that cost me £600, and it’s worth every penny.

kona

Reaction score
I own mostly Gretsch but I picked up a small 1969 Pearl Valencia shellpack a few years ago. I put new heads on it and they tuned up nice....sound amazing actually. I am downsizing my drum collection and recently sold the Pearl. 20/12/14 with matching finish 5.5x14 snare. I'll miss em. I do use Pearl cymbal, hats, and snare stands. I think they're top notch...the best I've found.

Latest posts