Any Pearl drums enthusiasts? What’s your opinion on Pearl?

JS_91

Reaction score
They’re fine. Like most other drum brands they have their “budget” stuff and their high end stuff.

I’ve owned 2 export kits and I own a masters custom (maple masters with reinforcement hoops)

The poplar exports are good for the price. It’s not a sound that I go gaga for but with double ply heads you can dial in a fairly dead fat sound that works for funk, rock, metal, hip hop, etc. They’re plenty serviceable for the price.

The masters can stand next to alnost any other modern maple kit. You aren’t going to get that baseball bat bearing edge sound from them like you would a gretsch but you can still dial them in for jazz and they’ll sound great.

Oh I also have a masters maple 14x6.5 snare and I’ve been using it for all styles for close to 10 years now. Probably my favorite drum from them.

The hardware I’ve had mixed results with. I’ve had some stuff hold up for 10+ years and other stuff constantly give me issues. Generally I think they make pretty damn good pedals and the rest is fine.

Would I buy one over the other brands? Depends on if it was a good deal, like almost any other brand.

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
Whoa hold on here . Who supposedly makes shells for Pearl ? Pearl is one of the few manufacturers that makes shells in house . This is the first I have ever heard of Pearl farming out shell production . Who did you hear this from ?
The Taiwan factory that became Mapex made lower series shells for Pearl. I thought this was fairly common knowledge. Had it confirmed by people in the industry, can't remember the names anymore. One worked for Premier before Mapex. I'd dig up my notes, but that website is gone. Not sure if anyone from there with the info is here. I don't remember if the Pearl production ended once Mapex started, or if there were a couple overlap years, probably for contracts to run out. It's been like 15 years since I've looked at it. It's not that they farmed anything out. You can look at it as there was a factory they used for initial production, which made everything to their specs, but the factory didn't have a particular name painted on it.
It's not uncommon for competing manufacturers to work for/with each other, or share early production sources. That's for all industries, not jut drums. It's interesting stuff if you can dig into it and make some relationships. It's not a knock on any company. That's just how things are made. I ended up fixing a "non-Pearl" floor tom leg bracket with a Pearl replacement. Other than the name casting, they were identical. I've bought non-branded car parts the same way.

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Currently I own a new Session Studio Select kit. To be completely honest, this kit sounds just as good as my Yamaha recording customs. Beautiful drums, exceptionally built, and completely road worthy.

Their sensitone snares are excellent. I've wanted a 402 for a while, but honestly with my sensitone aluminum, that want is pretty much gone.

The Masterworks Rosewood snare I just got is the best snare drum I've ever owned. And I've went through a ton!
Agreed! I have DW Performance, Tama Starclassic, Yamaha RCs, and Pearl Session Studio Select with Sensitone snare. My Pearls are equally as good as the others.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Still tempted to try one of the session studio select snares. I absolutely do not need it but they've got me curious with how good the drums are.

NYFrank

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have played Pearl for most of my drumming miles. Always thought they made great drums at great prices.

But, only recently, I am soured by them. In the past, when I had had to reach out for support, they had someone in North America who was stellar, responsive, and helpful. A week ago, I wrote for an assist on a cracked bass drum shell, and I got back a robo-reply for a ticket opened. Never heard from them again, and I have tried a couple of other times to see if there are any humans behind the curtain. Nothing but radio silence.

Will definitely make me look elsewhere the next time I buy gear.

Business 101: don't put a ticket system in place - if you don't actually have people reading and responding to the tickets. #unacceptablefail

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
...or at least have human back-up to the ticket system available when the customer wants an update on what the heck they've been doing to rectify the problem.
I think anyone would have a problem with how your issue is being treated, Frank.
...btw, did you ever get that resolved, or is it still pending?

Elvis

1990rookout

Reaction score
I'll always have a soft spot for Pearl, going back to the kit I had in high school in the early 80's. Those tom mounts on the current kits don't do it for me, though. It's an aesthetic hang up, I know. I'm sure they are fine.

That being said, I've gigged a Sensitone brass for years. I love that drum.

NYFrank

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have played Pearl for most of my drumming miles. Always thought they made great drums at great prices.

But, only recently, I am soured by them. In the past, when I had had to reach out for support, they had someone in North America who was stellar, responsive, and helpful. A week ago, I wrote for an assist on a cracked bass drum shell, and I got back a robo-reply for a ticket opened. Never heard from them again, and I have tried a couple of other times to see if there are any humans behind the curtain. Nothing but radio silence.

Will definitely make me look elsewhere the next time I buy gear.

Business 101: don't put a ticket system in place - if you don't actually have people reading and responding to the tickets. #unacceptablefail
Time for credit where credit is due:

They had problems with the ticket system. A very nice and helpful rep reached me by phone today. They are offering me warranty service on the bass drum. Their service rating is back to - stellar. Much gratitude.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I saw on Facebook yesterday that Pearl revamped their website. Looks pretty snazzy. They also have a catalog section with scans going back to the 60s. Pearl and Tama are masters of the fades and sparkle lacquer finishes.

https://www.pearldrum.com/

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pearl makes excellent stuff. Right now I'm on the fence with non-domestic instruments though. That's purely a political/human-rights issue. But then again, the U.S. being a kleptocracy on its way to an autocracy, I may try to find some Canadian made instruments going forward.