Any recs for jazz drummers on Instagram and YouTube?

Sprice

Reaction score
I'm cleaning house on social media and looking for recommendations on good jazz Instagram and YouTube accounts to follow. I'm having trouble though. So much of what I've found is hyper-woke young white guys saying "you dig" and calling people "cats." Also, I guess anything dark and new is out so you MUST play old A's (apparently old A's are the new old K's). Dan Weiss, Quincy Davis, Dafnis Prieto, and UOJ are a few I've found that I really like on both platforms.

Let me know if you have any favorites.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm cleaning house on social media and looking for recommendations on good jazz Instagram and YouTube accounts to follow. I'm having trouble though. So much of what I've found is hyper-woke young white guys saying "you dig" and calling people "cats." Also, I guess anything dark and new is out so you MUST play old A's (apparently old A's are the new old K's). Dan Weiss, Quincy Davis, Dafnis Prieto, and UOJ are a few I've found that I really like on both platforms.

Let me know if you have any favorites.
Not sure about accounts per se, and you are obviously not limiting your search to traditional jazz drummers, more young-ish jazz and fusion-ish players. Given that, off the top of my head I like to listen to players like Ari Hoenig, Brian Blade, Dave Dicenso, Eric Harland, Marcus Gilmore, Gergo Borlai, Sean Rickman, Gary Novak, Jeff Watts.

Some woke, some white, all very cool cats!

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe you’ll find them on your own…
I kind of get the feeling you just want to be angry at social media and certain people/drummers who don’t pass your authenticity test.

Sprice

Reaction score
Maybe you’ll find them on your own…
I kind of get the feeling you just want to be angry at social media and certain people/drummers who don’t pass your authenticity test.
Lol, you got me. Actually, I was lightheartedly poking fun at some of the content of the pages so that I wouldn't get that sort of page as a recommendation and judging by what I checked out of the suggestions in the other comments, it worked. Just because I don't like all the content doesn't make me some bitter old man hating on the googles. But if I struck a nerve, I'm sorry, ya dig?

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Go for the music you like and those who help make it.

Redfern

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In addition to all the suggestions given, lock into catching the Small’s Live feed whenever you can…you’ll get to see so many different drummers playing in live situations…just fantastic. Farnsworth, Fludas, etc….they all show up.

Drumbumcrumb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jazz at Lincoln Center Jazz Academy is a good one, not so much for drumming per se but for jazz and just for life. I love all things Marsalis. Jason is an amazing drummer of course, but Wynton is o lol Ike the Dalai Lama of jazz. Such a beautiful man - talented but humble, kind, gentle, and profound. Watching may make you better musician, but LISTENING to Wynton Marsalis will certainly make you better person.

Dimsunk (Max Sansalone) on YT is a hell of a drummer. Not all jazz, but all DEEP in the pocket, the man can groove. Nothing fancy here, just a man and his drums. Check out his live jazz performances, he really shines with other musicians. Good guy.

Stanton Moore! His channel is new-ish and will likely grow a huge following, but as of now it’s still small enough that he replies to comments. I thought it was pretty cool to have even a YT ‘chat’ with the king of Nawlins, and his content is excellent. Lessons, live shows, talk show episodes with other greats… good stuff. Nobody quite like him.

Aubrey Drum Lessons (Aubrey Dayle) - no nonsense teaching, a lot like Quincy Davis (another favorite, I see you’re already a fan). An accomplished drummer sharing his wealth of knowledge, what’s not to love?

JazzDrummersResource is a good.. resource.

Carter McLean. Ash Soan. Nate Smith. JD Beck.