Any Rogers big R lovers out there?

dexter74

Reaction score
I've come to the realization that big Rs are one of the best bargains in the vintage drum world - at least from a sonic perspective.

I get they don't have the elegance of their script-badged predecessors - and the hardware is not the most aesthetically pleasing - but they are really great sounding drums.

I kinda stumbled upon mine. I now have two sets of them and love them. Anyone else?

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I became a Big-R convert a couple months ago after finding a deal I couldn't resist.
1980-81 XP8 Londoner-Six with matching-badge 6.5 Dyna-Sonic.
Done 3 gigs on them so far, great playing drums with wonderful tonality.
Many Rogers fans feel the Big-R drums were the best era for Rogers quality.
....and an excuse to post pics yet again :laughing6:

ROGERS 009.jpg ROGERS 018.jpg ROGERS 039.jpg ROGERS 040.jpg

R

RickP

A Big R kit in Tobacco sunburst finish was one of my dream kits as a teen. I was a big fan of the Rigers Memriloc hardware (still am) and when I bought my first professional quality kit ( Gretsch) I had the shop install Memriloc hardware on it . That kit served me for twenty years and looked like the day I bought it , when I traded it in .

A good friend of mine has a dead mint condition Big R Tobacco Sunburst kit and I have dibs on it if he ever decides to sell.

dexter74

Reaction score
FANTASTIC! I have an ebony and metallic gold kit (and a 9/72, big R mixed koa kit)

Mojave red is on my wish list.

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
i'm also a fan of the big r sets .... i only have a 22'' bass drum in big r though
heres a pic . with my fullerton toms .... i also installed a yamaha tom mount and put new legs on it .... i paid $40 for this bass drum ....

Attachments

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
My first Big Rs were a 22/12/13/16 XP-8 set in Midnight Mist with COB Dynasonic snare that I bought new in 1982 to replace my Rogers Cleveland Swingtime outfit that burned up in a nightclub fire. My second Big Rs were an 18/12/14 XP-8 set, also in Midnight Mist, that I bought used when I started my 7-piece 4-horn swing band. My current Big Rs are a 20/12/12/16 set of orphans that I restored and rewrapped in black glass glitter. I have both single and double tom holders and am currently playing it as a 4-piece set in an 18-piece big band. I don't care for transparent heads that show all the plumbing in side the bass drums so I replaced the XP-8 resos with white or black heads.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG Roger-TMBB.jpg

Last edited:

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Blue Mist, Inca Gold & Tobacco Sunburst are my favorite Big-R finishes as they really define the era.

amazish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've come to the realization that big Rs are one of the best bargains in the vintage drum world - at least from a sonic perspective.

I get they don't have the elegance of their script-badged predecessors - and the hardware is not the most aesthetically pleasing - but they are really great sounding drums.

I kinda stumbled upon mine. I now have two sets of them and love them. Anyone else?

Oh you bet !

And indeed they are a steal for the sound they produce............ shhh its a secret ;]

Last edited:

SaranacJack

Reaction score
My first kit was a natural maple XP8 with a 24” kick, 13 & 14” toms, a 20” floor tom (a beast!) and a 6.5x14” COB Dyno. I foolishly sold it in my youth...

A few years back I rekindled my love of XP8 Rogers and found a 22/13/16 natural maple XP8, and have been looking for an 18” floor tom ever since.

I’ve been building a Big R kit for my kiddos as well, with 8/10/12/13 Big R black concert toms that I’m using while trying to find a black Big R floor Tom to use as their bass drum... never too young to give them the Rogers bug.

Maybe it’s because they were my first, but Big R’s in general, and XP8’s even more specifically, are rock solid kits that provide a sound I have yet to find recreated in today’s market. Long story short, mark me down as a Big R lover as well.

amazish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My first kit was a natural maple XP8 with a 24” kick, 13 & 14” toms, a 20” floor tom (a beast!) and a 6.5x14” COB Dyno. I foolishly sold it in my youth...

A few years back I rekindled my love of XP8 Rogers and found a 22/13/16 natural maple XP8, and have been looking for an 18” floor tom ever since.

I’ve been building a Big R kit for my kiddos as well, with 8/10/12/13 Big R black concert toms that I’m using while trying to find a black Big R floor Tom to use as their bass drum... never too young to give them the Rogers bug.

Maybe it’s because they were my first, but Big R’s in general, and XP8’s even more specifically, are rock solid kits that provide a sound I have yet to find recreated in today’s market. Long story short, mark me down as a Big R lover as well.
Right on ; ]
I am lucky too for A - finding a natural finish XP8 with some birdseye in it on ebay and B - finding an 18" for it in the same finish[!] later on ebay UK.
And yes these are so good. Edges are so well designed and made - drum heads just sing with these shells with NO issues and the sound is terrific in any tuning.
I have added more toms to the set since then. And use the 18" as a bass drum too.
[We talked in the past about your Bill Kreautzmann photo...]

Latest posts