Any Rogers big R lovers out there?

W&A Player

DFO Master
Reaction score
As a manufacturer's rep for the last five years of American-made Rogers drums, a couple of nagging problems were all too prevalent. Dealers who ordered the non wrapped drums sent a lot of the drum sets back because the colors of the shells within a drum set did not match. The worst offender was the sunburst finish. Fender's painters for sunburst guitars were the most experienced painters in the company. These were the people who painted the sunburst drum shells. At that time, even sunburst guitars with consecutive serial numbers that were painted by the same painter, had some differences in the sunburst finishes. The problem was made worse because, once the paint on a drum was cured, the drum was sealed in a carton that was marked with the model, size, and color. if a consumer ordered a drum set through a dealer, the individual drum boxes for the set were pulled from the warehouse shelves, and shipped to the dealer's store. The drums were not taken out of the boxes before shipping, and compared for how well they matched each other. I saw some horribly mismatched drum sets in sunburst and Mojave Red in stores that I insisted the dealers send back. Another issue was with the "mist" colors. Our German dealers had a problem with that word because in the German language it means dung or rubbish.

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
IDK... I could never get over how much those big fat tube spurs on the bass drums turned me off. That's just me though... R. Crumb obsessed over big legs... to each their own.

Trilock_Gurtu

Reaction score
I picked up a 1981-2ish XP-8 kit in Blue Mist finish recently. There were quite a few missing parts, should have them ready to play in a day or two, looking forward to it.
Ludwig BD legs? Did they come like that, or did you add them? My 70's Slingerland COW came with them, SOLID legs.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
As a manufacturer's rep for the last five years of American-made Rogers drums, a couple of nagging problems were all too prevalent. Dealers who ordered the non wrapped drums sent a lot of the drum sets back because the colors of the shells within a drum set did not match. The worst offender was the sunburst finish. Fender's painters for sunburst guitars were the most experienced painters in the company. These were the people who painted the sunburst drum shells. At that time, even sunburst guitars with consecutive serial numbers that were painted by the same painter, had some differences in the sunburst finishes. The problem was made worse because, once the paint on a drum was cured, the drum was sealed in a carton that was marked with the model, size, and color. if a consumer ordered a drum set through a dealer, the individual drum boxes for the set were pulled from the warehouse shelves, and shipped to the dealer's store. The drums were not taken out of the boxes before shipping, and compared for how well they matched each other. I saw some horribly mismatched drum sets in sunburst and Mojave Red in stores that I insisted the dealers send back. Another issue was with the "mist" colors. Our German dealers had a problem with that word because in the German language it means dung or rubbish.
I had so many issues with my tobacco sunburst Londoner 7 not meeting expectations that I visited the Monrovia factory in 1980 and was allowed to pick out my shells in the paint shop where they were hanging to dry. At the time, I didn't think it was such a big deal. The manager I worked with was Gil Madrid (I still have his card somewhere.) As I recall, he resisted at first, but I told him my favorite drum shop in Seattle had a perfect Gretsch kit in sunburst, and if I couldn't get a perfect Rogers one, I'd buy the Gretsch. He left to talk it over with one of the higher-ups, and came back with the good news that I could pick out my shells.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
IDK... I could never get over how much those big fat tube spurs on the bass drums turned me off. That's just me though... R. Crumb obsessed over big legs... to each their own.
The xp8 shells are some of the finest.

Same here on the legs/spurs bass mounts, Lv Rogers as much as anybody but that stuff just looked like it came out a plumbing supply house.
Sorry Greg Krampf

Ps. The new Rogers co. should remake the xp8 shells and dress them up with Swivo hardware.
Call them the Swivo 8’s.
Your welcome

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
View attachment 385372 View attachment 385373 Funny you should mention that Ace...the Rogers purists here and on FB are gonna excommunicate me from the church of Rogers but the Pearl optimounts have really opened up my 8x12 and 9x13...P.S. I also use two Pearl bass drum pedals...!
Relax, you're not excommunicated... just say three Our Fathers and three Hail Marys.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I cut the tubes on my Memriloc tom holders, and put champagne corks in them. That helped to alleviate the chokiness, but I think RIMS mounts would be the ticket.

Also, remember back in the day, the damped sound was "in." Today, most of us like our drums wide open.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
View attachment 385372 View attachment 385373 Funny you should mention that Ace...the Rogers purists here and on FB are gonna excommunicate me from the church of Rogers but the Pearl optimounts have really opened up my 8x12 and 9x13...P.S. I also use two Pearl bass drum pedals...!
I've been going a bit batty with my Big R toms & will eventually do this. My other Rogers kit kit has the 12" on a basket stand & 2 floors & the toms sing like the Red Army Choir.

utdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i actually like the looks of the Rogers hardware but always felt they restricted the tone of the toms. The mount attached to the shell itself is huge and by itself robbed the tone. Then you add the pipe going into the tom and you have serious concerns.This was not a factor in the late 70's but we understand so much more now about resonance. The Optimounts have alleviated that and they really do sound better. JMHO

Latest posts