Any sales via FB or CL lately?

Tdipaul

Reaction score
in the NY metro or other populated area...

My asking prices are very reasonable and items are in excellent condition and ready to play
(example: very clean 21 Sweet Ride for $175)
(example: 80's Yam parallel action steel snare drum with new heads, cleaned and tuned properly for $225)

But all I'm getting lately is inactive watchers or dirt cheap offers (probably from flippers)

What has your experience been this year?

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing very little for sale, locally. Except dudes wanting $2k for a Catalina kit. Kind of wondering what's going on there.

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m a buyer, and always seem to find things locally that are of interest.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm 100-175 miles from the Metro NY/NJ area so I watch all of the CL listings and a good portion of the FB ones. 80-90% of the stuff is over-priced and sits. Anything correctly priced and in demand sells the same day or week.
At least in 2021 I've found CL in the Northeast to be pretty dead overall....the worst it's been in the 2018-2021 period.

A very clean sweet ride is not necessarily cheap imo at $175. It might be a very fair value though vs. a new one. I had 2 nearly brand new sets of A's and A Customs in the past year or so (hats, 16,18, 20/21). One of them had the 21 sweet ride.
Via CL I got $475 for the A's and $500 for the A customs. That works out to be around $125 per cymbal or pair. And these were mint barely touched cymbals....too nice for me to even play. No doubt I could have parted them
for more but that's time consuming. People weren't busting the doors down either at those prices. I don't think I could have done any better than $150 for just the Sweet Ride. I can't even get $100 for a clean 21 inch used 60's/70's A in my region.

Yamaha drums are slow sellers in the Northeast....at least anything but Recording Customs priced fairly. And I've sought older Yamaha's out because you can sometimes get them very reasonable. Yamaha snare drums are even tougher to move. It's usually
taken me 4-9 months to move a Yamaha snare after being tire kicked to death....lol. And in most cases, I had to end up shipping long distance to someone who just happened to see the CL ad. I had a decent Yamaha SD-065 parallel action steel
snare 2 years back that I bought from Sam Ash on Ebay for $165 delivered. When listed on local CL there was no interest at $150-$175. It eventually went 1000 miles to a Southern state for $200+ but I still only netted around $165 after shipping.
I saw a nearly brand new Yamaha SD-055 metal snare sit untouched at my local GC for about a year at $225. It was essentially brand new and simply dazzling. I was tempted to buy it for their bottom line ($180) but never got around to it.

Fwiw, I checked NY/NJ/Philly Craig's List for a Yamaha snare at $225.....nothing is listed under a search for "drum," "snare drum," "yamaha drum"....even looking at the $224-$226 price range. Is it still listed?
I also checked for a 21 Sweet ride in the Northeast region. Only found one listed - $250 in the Philly area. That looked well over-priced to me at anything over $150-$175.

If your listings are still current.....and I can't find them.....then how will anyone else?

Last edited:

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m in the same area and have been keeping an eye on craigslist cymbals. Theres been a few sweet rides going between $130-200 in different spots this summer so it might just be that people are finding that cymbal closer to home depending on what town you’re in. The yamaha probably needs to wait for a more particular buyer if it doesn’t use regular snare wires so I would expect that to take awhile

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Good point about closer to home. I generally find that people prefer not to travel more than 25 miles.....unless they just happen to be driving near your city or town on the way to somewhere else.
Those at 50 miles or more might consider the drive......but, the majority usually decide against it.

Being inside a major city region is a big plus with potential buyers. A guy I know down in the Philly area has been blowing out kits, cymbals and hardware for 3 yrs like gangbusters.
He prices pretty fair and his good stuff usually goes within 1-30 days. And a big plus is that he's right in the middle of millions of potential buyers. There are several high profile major flipper/dealers in the metro NY/NJ/Philly region
that do a ton of buying and selling. Your items have to compete against them as well.

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am in Prescott AZ and I sell on CL. I offer halfway driving to Flagstaff and Phoenix for buyers (my GF has a nice 40mpg Mazda and she likes the road trips!!).

I sell at very low prices (I state that all prices are FIRM, no problems there), I have very clean/quality items and provide lots of good pics.

I sell frequently... a guitar pedal on Saturday, a Pearl midtown drum set today.

CL has actually been pretty good the least year or so.

Gotta realize that it is a buyer's market, so you HAVE to have good prices and be flexible. Works for me.

Here is the set that just sold. Very cool little Pearl set but the 16" bass did nothing for me... too small!!!

IMG_20210801_104814.jpg

larold

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For a long time, nothing. Then, in July, I sold 7 cymbals on CL and Reverb in about 10 days.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Some don't have cash to sit on. I have not gigged or worked my part time job (as a bartender) since March of 2020. That is the source of my gear fund, so it has been almost dry.

Since then I have bought two snare drums, a late 50s, early 60s silver sparkle Slingerland Super Radio King and a mid 60s champagne sparkle three ply Artist.

I just sold a cymbal this week and it looks like I'm going to pick up two more snares. But for the most part, I've had to really slow down this year.

:(

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Some don't have cash to sit on. I have not gigged or worked my part time job (as a bartender) since March of 2020. That is the source of my gear fund, so it has been almost dry.

Since then I have bought two snare drums, a late 50s, early 60s silver sparkle Slingerland Super Radio King and a mid 60s champagne sparkle three ply Artist.

I just sold a cymbal this week and it looks like I'm going to pick up two more snares. But for the most part, I've had to really slow down this year.

:(
That was what I ment with “sit on cash”.

They need it for other, more important things.

I have the same issue. I had only 2 gigs in the last 1,6 year (all in 2020) . Driving me crazy. Especially because most of the festival season here is cancelled for this year, so I can only hope for to get at least 1 gig in 2021 :(

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I think for most people a $700 set of 7 cymbals is going to be a tough sell even if they're once in a lifetime prices. I'm not looking for 7 cymbals. Impulse buys need to be under about $200 for me. $700 would be a targeted buy - I'm looking for that exact thing and have saved up when it hits the market. Big bundles that are actually screaming deals are only going to attract vultures, I mean flippers

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
in the NY metro or other populated area...

My asking prices are very reasonable and items are in excellent condition and ready to play
(example: very clean 21 Sweet Ride for $175)
(example: 80's Yam parallel action steel snare drum with new heads, cleaned and tuned properly for $225)

But all I'm getting lately is inactive watchers or dirt cheap offers (probably from flippers)

What has your experience been this year?
Exactly the same. Dead beat bottom feeders who give you no regard.