Any Sonor Drummers here?

phdamage

Reaction score
Oh yeah. It’s funny because until last year, I had always thought Sonor kits were kinda garbage since the only kits that ever came into my studio were newer and not German made. Nothing notably awful sounding but unimpressive generally.

During lockdown I started going down the rabbit hole on their drums and scored a mismatched Sonorlite kit that sounds incredible! Sadly, the kick is 24” so a little too slow for a lot of the faster stuff I play and record but wow is it fun to play!

It hasn’t eclipsed my 90s starclassic birch kit, but it is close for sure

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
the way I see it. you could lose...say a nice Phonic set in nice sizes and not miss it for say oh umm ..ever..
not that' i'd take one mind I would never think of it..

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
the way I see it. you could lose...say a nice Phonic set in nice sizes and not miss it for say oh umm ..ever..
not that' i'd take one mind I would never think of it..
That's crazy talk.

thomfantomas

Reaction score
Oh yeah. It’s funny because until last year, I had always thought Sonor kits were kinda garbage since the only kits that ever came into my studio were newer and not German made. Nothing notably awful sounding but unimpressive generally.

During lockdown I started going down the rabbit hole on their drums and scored a mismatched Sonorlite kit that sounds incredible! Sadly, the kick is 24” so a little too slow for a lot of the faster stuff I play and record but wow is it fun to play!

It hasn’t eclipsed my 90s starclassic birch kit, but it is close for sure
Beech wood is were it's at IMO! Scandanavian Birch is allegedly their best!

phdamage

Reaction score
i love birch drums! 3 of my 4 kits are birch (sonorlite, starclassic and granstar custom)!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember checking out a set of Sonorlites in '86. I was SOLD right there and then.
So big, fat and warm.
Sweet memories. :love4:

jkuhl

Reaction score
I am.
Designer series
Phonics
S-Classix
I've owned, heavy beech sq2, vintage beech sq2, s classix, delite, maple light designers, sonic plus(jungle kit) and a safari. I have a favorite of the bunch and it was maybe the best all around kit I've ever owned but I'm curious as to which kit you like the most, if you even have a favorite? SONOR drums are hard to beat in the ply shell category.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got an insane deal on a Delite bop kit last year (under $500 with a bunch of hardware/sticks) and I love it. The shells just have a ton of sustain and sound super warm. Between this and my "rock size" Noble and Cooley kit, I think I can cover pretty much any sound I'd need.

unnamed.jpeg