Any Sonor Drummers here?

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a reason you rarely see S-Classix come up for sale. I wish I didn't run into that reason all the time.

florian1

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
was thrilled to find a full kit for sale here a few years back...and snatched it up. Paid a bit more than I wanted to, but am glad I did...great tubs for sure.

F

mpthomson

Reaction score
A big Phonic Plus in Candy red for me and a number of the Link era snares. For me the Phonics are the 'classic' beech sound. I've played a Signature and didn't like the sound as much, even if the bubinga finish was glorious. Horses for courses and all that!

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Trey...Did you audition the Vintage series Sonor before you settled on the Phonics?....Beautiful kit BTW!!

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A big Phonic Plus in Candy red for me and a number of the Link era snares. For me the Phonics are the 'classic' beech sound. I've played a Signature and didn't like the sound as much, even if the bubinga finish was glorious. Horses for courses and all that!
Are the Phonic shells that much different than the Vintage series?

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greetings,i signed up years back but never recalled posting a thread on the forumanyways heres my kit/setup Sonor SQ1!!! View attachment 494901
I switched to a Sonor Safari compact kit 6 years ago and I've been very happy.The sizes are 10x8in mounted tom, 14x12in floor tom and 16c16in kick. It also came with a 14x5in wood snare that sounds good but I mainly use my Mapex 14x5 1/2 Brass Cat.The badge says Selected Hardwoods and i'm guessing it's Asian poplar as kit assembled in Taiwan.This hardware and finish are genuine Sonor.. 8 lugs on 16in kick .. and although the kit is a compact model it's darn heavy. It projects very well and only when doing Rock or Country with bands using lots of sound equipment do I have to mike and then only the kick. I have several cymbal combos depending on music genre'

Attachments

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I switched to a Sonor Safari compact kit 6 years ago and I've been very happy.The sizes are 10x8in mounted tom, 14x12in floor tom and 16c16in kick. It also came with a 14x5in wood snare that sounds good but I mainly use my Mapex 14x5 1/2 Brass Cat.The badge says Selected Hardwoods and i'm guessing it's Asian poplar as kit assembled in Taiwan.This hardware and finish are genuine Sonor.. 8 lugs on 16in kick .. and although the kit is a compact model it's darn heavy. It projects very well and only when doing Rock or Country with bands using lots of sound equipment do I have to mike and then only the kick. I have several cymbal combos depending on music genre'
I believe the heavier examples of the 1st-gen Safari series were Basswood. I have a Player (same finish / toms as Safari, but with a 12x20 kick), and they're SUPER lightweight -- mine are the later Poplar models.

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe the heavier examples of the 1st-gen Safari series were Basswood. I have a Player (same finish / toms as Safari, but with a 12x20 kick), and they're SUPER lightweight -- mine are the later Poplar models.
I had a player as well and maybe it was lighter but not really sure. Basswood is 5lbs board foot lighter than poplar and softer. I'm guessing my set is Poplar as it's not easy to scar. I lived in an area where Basswood was harvested and milled just down the road. The mill sold it to furniture manufacturers for framing because it was light and easily formable. I used mill scraps in my fireplace so i'm guessing I have an Asian Poplar of which there are many. Just my observation..
the shell of the inside of each drum has a stencil 1303. I suppose I could ask Sonor but I honestly don't care as the kit sounds great and is super constructed, the best Sonor hardware used and the wrap is outstanding. I still have the receipt from Guitar Centre.. $371.00 delivered to my winter residence in Florida. At that time the Canadian dollar was at par with U.S. so it was a total steal all around !