Any Sonor Drummers here?

EricNathan

Reaction score
Die hard Sonor guy here. Here’s some of the collection. The main or “A” kit is Mahogany Phonic Plus kicks and floors, German Sonic Plus 8” and 10”, D508X snare. (Yes I’m in a Tool tribute band ) next is a full German Sonic Plus double bass kit for when I don’t have a tech or roadie to help me move the phonics or a smaller venue, then I have a gloriously oyster (pro rewrap) mid 70s Super Champion with a pretty rare 3 way tom mount, and then the unicorn , 6ply Rosewood Teardrops I’ve most recently restored. Also, not pictured is a few Sonor snares. S-Class, F3k, and a 506.
CD912B3C-EAE8-4567-BAF3-8038516F9A57.jpeg
DE26F830-AA4D-4752-BD7C-60A95548AE9A.jpeg
23FC603E-B83A-43AE-888A-9158AF34E279.jpeg
22B469C2-BA8E-40EF-969B-06F8B3A1D0A3.jpeg
80FDAE26-16B6-4072-93DA-51763FB59324.jpeg
0FA80AF2-BAFB-4567-A1D5-7C0AE89F35E1.jpeg

Last edited:

Trey Gray

Pro
Reaction score
Trey...Did you audition the Vintage series Sonor before you settled on the Phonics?....Beautiful kit BTW!!
Thanks Wayne! I've really taken a liking to 13" and 14" mounted, or just a 14" mounted and the Vintage series wasn't offering that option.

On a side-note I purchased 3 of these Phonic kits and a Pro Lite kit all within a year. All the same sizes, 13/14 mounted, 16 floor, 22 kick...Used the above black kit for my main tour kit, one in bronze metallic for my home kit, and an oak kit for my studio kit at my friends place. I had to get the Pro Lite kit because I had two different tours butting up against each other and wasn't able to get my Phonic kit there in time...used the Pro Lite for the 12 show mini-tour then sold them.

I reached out to my pal Nic, a forum member, who works for Sonor/Mapex in Nashviile and asked if I could buy some hardware directly through Sonor. I just wanted some not so common stuff....Sonor wouldn't let him sell me anything. Even though I purchased four kits in less than a year....thanks Nic again for going to bat for me btw

I can understand why some artists had to jump ship because Sonor was tough to work with.

But, I'm not going to stop playing them...they sound and feel right to me.

As soon as I find a couple 15" Phonic rack toms I'll be going 14"/15" up....

Sorry for the long winded response...lol.

Cheers and blessings, Trey

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yep!

Force 3K Scandi Birch

Metallic Blue Phonics

Signature HLD Bronze Piccolo

Ferro 6-1/2x14 and 4x14

I had Force 507s and loved them, hated selling them, call me crazy.

Dan

storsav

Reaction score
Oh yeah, Sonor baby. The best. Here's me blissfully playing a nice old Black Phonic kit I once owned. 20x18 deep virgin bass drum! I can't believe I sold that drum...I've said that phrase too many times.

Attachments

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

only $5K

Formula428

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sonor Delite Birdseye Maple Cherry 6 pc shell pack + 3 matching snares
Sonor Force 3003 Blue 8pc
Designer, Artist and Signature Edition snares

Attachments

Sonorholic

DFO Star
Reaction score
Don't have any pics, but uh YEA, I've got some Sonor... Phonic bop and a larger collection of Lites with 2 bass drums and a bunch of toms. A few snare drums to round it out.

219Dave

Reaction score
I don’t own any. I played a set of SQ 2 medium beech in a studio at Mike’s drum shop in Chicago burbs. It was fantastic. It’s on my bucket list. It really felt different than any other set.

I am seeing blowout prices on SQ1 kits in the discontinued red and greens. Tempted. I like Birch. Anyone here have SQ 1 kits?

Trey Gray

Pro
Reaction score
I don’t own any. I played a set of SQ 2 medium beech in a studio at Mike’s drum shop in Chicago burbs. It was fantastic. It’s on my bucket list. It really felt different than any other set.

I am seeing blowout prices on SQ1 kits in the discontinued red and greens. Tempted. I like Birch. Anyone here have SQ 1 kits?
I got a green 13" and 16" to go with an old Gretsch bass drum...they sound incredible!

cheers and blessings, Trey

SteveParadis

Reaction score

I recently bought an SQ1 set. Do love it. Feel is addicting. Birch resonance is forever. I went with 8,10,12,14,16 Toms and 22 base. Aquarian Response clear heads. Worth every penny. It’s a sound only Sonor produces in my opinion. Tones are a personal thing. Recommend you play them. YouTube doesn’t reveal the feel.

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Die hard Sonor guy here. Here’s some of the collection. The main or “A” kit is Mahogany Phonic Plus kicks and floors, German Sonic Plus 8” and 10”, D508X snare. (Yes I’m in a Tool tribute band ) next is a full German Sonic Plus double bass kit for when I don’t have a tech or roadie to help me move the phonics or a smaller venue, then I have a gloriously oyster (pro rewrap) mid 70s Super Champion with a pretty rare 3 way tom mount, and then the unicorn , 6ply Rosewood Teardrops I’ve most recently restored. Also, not pictured is a few Sonor snares. S-Class, F3k, and a 506. View attachment 495490 View attachment 495491 View attachment 495492 View attachment 495493 View attachment 495494 View attachment 495495

I feel like a school kid as my first and only 2 Sonor kits were the compact Safari and Player. They were both built in 2013 so were Poplar shells. The Safari cost $371 US the Player slightly used was $400 Canadian. The first thing that struck me was the great hardware in both kits. Total high quality. I ended up keeping the Safari w/16in kick and donated the Player w/20 inch kick to my Grand Daughters school band in honour of my Bride of 27 years, her grandmother. The school music director is a fine drummer who plays an expensive kit but he was blown away by the quality of the Player and continued to tell my grand daughter how much he appreciates it. I use my Safari for everything. I have been playing Jazz but next week back to 70s Soft Rock and Blues.. outdoor of course with social distancing.
This afternoon I just tuned my Safari Phat for next week. It's so easy with my kit because if the hardware and overall quality if manufacture. The baring edges are very precise and I know because I use a Drum Dial for tuning. The projection from those Poplar shells is vg including the 16
kick.. rarely have to mike it..
Previously I had a Yamaha DP kit that had a 20 in kick and Luan shells and the Safari kicks it's butt.
Happy Sonor fan

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tones are a personal thing.
I know you've been here for a short while now, but welcome to the forum Steve.
You sound like a truly wise man.
Congrats on obtaining that SQ1.

Elvis

Last edited: