Any specific 2.3mm triple flanged hoops you would recommend?

Jazzhead

Reaction score
Debated between die cast and 2.3mm hoops but decided to go with how my kit originally came.
There are several options on the market for 2.3mm hoops such as DW true hoops, Pearl Super hoops II, etc. there is some price difference too. Also, is there any 2.3mm yamaha hoops?
Is there any specific one you would recommend?

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Debated between die cast and 2.3mm hoops but decided to go with how my kit originally came.
There are several options on the market for 2.3mm hoops such as DW true hoops, Pearl Super hoops II, etc. there is some price difference too. Also, is there any 2.3mm Yamaha hoops?
Is there any specific one you would recommend?
Call Yamaha, or look at their on-line web site & check the accessories, parts, etc. listings

Jazzhead

Reaction score
Call Yamaha, or look at their on-line web site & check the accessories, parts, etc. listings
Did that, nothing shows up. I could find their die cast hoops on sale on some other online music stores but no triple flanged hoops.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Gibraltar offers very good 2.3mm hoops. Pearl's Superhoop II offers some of the best 2.3mm hoops I've seen. Absolutely beautiful chrome. Many others will say that any 2.3mm hoop will suffice. That may be true, but for me, I appreciate the extra attention to detail of the Superhoop II. Yes, they're more than generic hoops, but, IMHO, well worth it.

-Mark

Jazzhead

Reaction score
Gibraltar offers very good 2.3mm hoops. Pearl's Superhoop II offers some of the best 2.3mm hoops I've seen. Absolutely beautiful chrome. Many others will say that any 2.3mm hoop will suffice. That may be true, but for me, I appreciate the extra attention to detail of the Superhoop II. Yes, they're more than generic hoops, but, IMHO, well worth it.

-Mark
Yes, I personally like the attention to detail on the Pearl super hoops and DW true hoops. I wish gretsch had 12” 6 lug hoop, I like the 301 hoops from Gretsch too but it can’t be an option, so I am mainly debating between DW and Pearl, DW is a bit pricer.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would agree that there’s a difference in quality in such a seemingly easy product. The DW’s are nice. Can I ask the price difference ?

I’d actually like a nicer 1.6. The chrome on the Taiwan stuff is pretty cloudy compared to vintage American ( no surprise there)

Last edited:

dangermoney

Reaction score
Yes, I personally like the attention to detail on the Pearl super hoops and DW true hoops. I wish gretsch had 12” 6 lug hoop, I like the 301 hoops from Gretsch too but it can’t be an option, so I am mainly debating between DW and Pearl, DW is a bit pricer.
The DW True Hoops are 3.0 mm hoops. It's a good option if you are looking for something between 2.3 mm triple flange and die cast.

felis

Reaction score
I like Yamaha's new 2.3 mm inverse dyna hoops they use on the Tour Customs, but I don't know if you can buy them separately yet.

Ptrick

Reaction score
I prefer the Pearl superhoops as well. Also, they make 1.6 mm “Fat Tone” hoops that are equally as nice. They have the typical open sound of 1.6’s, but a little more “pop” to their sound.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I believe the dw true hoops come in graduated sizes. The snare is 3mm then the tom hoops start thinner and get thicker as the drum diameter increases. I don't have the gradients, but like SSC, it's meant to blend the voices more evenly across sizes. Seems to work nicely with my 8,10,12,14, and 16" toms.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Drumfactorydirect carries the 3.0mm hoops. Check them out HERE

I used a set on my custom snare drum build, using parts from a "blackcrolite" and a new Ludwig P88AC throw and P35 butt. The 5x14 shell is a Worldmax NOB (Nickle-On-Brass), also from DFD.

My 1994 HSS Slingerland kit uses the beautifully chromed Pearl Fat Tone hoops on the toms and snare drum. If you do a lot of cross sticking and rim shots, these are not the best hoops for the snare drum. But, they sure do look nice!

-Mark

Attachments

Jazzhead

Reaction score
I would agree that there’s a difference in quality in such a seemingly easy product. The DW’s are nice. Can I ask the price difference ?

I’d actually like a nicer 1.6. The chrome on the Taiwan stuff is pretty cloudy compared to vintage American ( no surprise there)
The price difference between DW true hoops and Pearl super hoops is almost $10 per hoop. The 2.3mm or 3.0mm seems to be a good balance between very focused dir cast sound and open sound of 1.6mm hoops I believe.

Jazzhead

Reaction score
I like Yamaha's new 2.3 mm inverse dyna hoops they use on the Tour Customs, but I don't know if you can buy them separately yet.
Yea I can’t find any Yamaha triple flanged hoops on sale anywhere, otherwise I will definitely go with Yamaha.
Found the yamaha die casts though, $83 a piece, I think they are the most expensive of them all.

Jazzhead

Reaction score
If I find Yamaha 2.3mm hoops I will go with those but looks like they are not available separately.
I don’t mind paying a little more for Pearl super hoops or DWs over a generic ones from a less known brand.

Also, I don’t know how to explain this but I prefer the shape of the hoop to be more flush with the head on the lips with narrower notch. I have noticed some of the hoops have a wider section near the tension rods and some hoops have narrower notch. I am not sure if this is a matter of old vs new designs or by brand. What I mean is that some hoops are flush with the head on the lips and have smaller notch area.

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think Drum Factory has 12", 6 lug, 301-type hoops......

I think any 2.3mm triple cast should be the same unless it's a junky import drum.
I recently got a Ludwig snare that has the thinnest, cheapest parts that barely pass for metal. Super flimsy but technically metal.......

Jazzhead

Reaction score
The DW True Hoops are 3.0 mm hoops. It's a good option if you are looking for something between 2.3 mm triple flange and die cast.
Actually they are 2.3mm for 12” 6 lugs and 14” 8 lug drums.

About $9 more expensive than Pearl super hoop II which are also 2.3mm

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
True Hoops™ are also gauged in graduated thicknesses to factory-match various drum sizes.
Drums 8" and 10" in diameter come with 1.6mm True Hoops™, while 12"-18" come with 2.3mm. All snare drums come with 3.0mm True Hoops™.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't know about the current ones , but Pearl Super Hoops from the late 80's and early to mid-nineties were the bench mark that I compared all the others .

Regardless of make, I'll suspend the hoops with my fingers and tap it with a big nail . The one with the clearest longest sustaining note is my first choice and those Pearl's nearly always won . Try to place the hoop on a flat surface and make sure it doesn't rock . Again, Pearl never let me down . They also made stainless steel 2.3's for a very short time . Rare , I'm lucky to have a 10 lug x 14 pair . Superb tone and for tri- flange ,very rigid .