Any stick-shift drivers in the forums?

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I really miss rowing through the gears! I grew up with a standard tranny and I always preferred a manual, standard tranny.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I really miss rowing through the gears! I grew up with a standard tranny and I always preferred a manual, standard tranny.
If you like rowing, find one of the '85 Supras that came stock with 4.30s. It's geared so low and close that non-aggressive starts require literally 0.7 second shifts and you can go 27mph in top gear without lugging it. I think it's fun, but its Olympic Scull level of rowing isn't for everyone.

Medium Size Dog

Reaction score
Love shifting, always have, had 4 speed VWs, 5 speed in my truck now. Had a '58 Rambler 4 door sedan with big fins and 3 on the tree. Front seat folded back almost flat onto the back seat. At 5'7" I could lay down completely stretched out in the trunk and got 25-30 miles to the gallon with the little 6 banger and 50 cent a gallon gas. Had to wait for the AM radio to warm up. Great for piling in a few friends and cruising country roads. We thought we were the only people in the world in a Rambler listening to Brand X and Mahavishnu Orchestra on a boom box.

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just sold my 96 Tacoma, my last vehicle likely with a manual transmission. It was a good 25 year run. Would love to own another one but not sure when that will happen. Glad I learned and had the experience.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today at a gig dealer friend of mine pulled in with not one BUT Two

Fiskers. Yep Fiskers
gorgissimo
hybrids with a 4 cylinder and EV.
Stunning
cars from Finland.
one cloth interior one leather

Last edited:

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The other day I was thinking about how stick-shift or manual driving skills are related to drumming ability and in particular independence. In a manual car you have 5 controls that you can operate simultaneously, most of the time by means of permutations and sometimes ALL at once (for example when downshifting/heel-toeing just before a corner), so a manual car driver needs to develop a very thoughtful coordination of his limbs and muscle memory to operate the vehicle in a graceful and safe way.

Drum playing also requires great coordination, independence and muscle memory, and what I've noted is driving skills translate very easily to drumming and viceversa. You could teach a good driver to play drums without much effort, and a good drummer could drive a manual car appropriately in a matter of days.

For both manual drivers and drummers, what are your thoughts?
Traditional grip or matched??

tnsquint

Backline Rental Guru
Reaction score
The first time I had to drive a stick it was 2:00am, it was raining, the truck was 26’ long and I believe it was a six speed split (low/high per gear) and required double clutching. Driver said “I am done. It’s your turn.” That did not go particularly well but I got where we needed to go.

I’ve had several sticks since then and love them. Just traded my last one; a Nissan 370Z. I would get a kick out of finding the car right where I left it with the valets! A lot of times I didn’t even get charged for parking.

Skeet6

Reaction score
Yep, my daily ('16 Impreza) and my fun car ('09 Mustang) both manual trans. It keeps anyone else in the house from driving them. ;)
Mike B
PS: can be a pain in the butt in stop-and-go traffic, though!

Browny

Reaction score
Yep. 2018 Hyundai i30 SR. 6 speed, turbo hatch.

Comfortably fits the big ol’ 26/13/16 Radio Kings in the back.