Any Studio One users?

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm getting going with Studio One, and being my 1st DAW, and limited time, it feels like i take 1 step forward, and 2 back.
I can record my drums, and I'm loving how they sound, but yet to try plug ins, or anything like that.
Well, before I get into it, just curious if anyone is, or had used Studio One?

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use Reaper. But it shouldn't be all that different.

What kinds of plug-in do you want to use? Effects like reverb/compression etc on your recorded tracks? Or do you mean virtual instruments like drum samples for which you need to record midi and not audio?

For effects you can do them while recording or after the fact. Also an important thing to eventually learn is the idea of grouping tracks into busses so you can apply effects across several tracks at once.

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Right now I'm not too worried about effects. Studio One is known for "drag and drop". So I wanted to record over a drumless track. I just can't seem to figure out where to drag the track to?
Would I also have to bus the song the rest of the audio tracks on my template?
When I have time to work with the DAW, I've overcome the obstacles I needed to- to move forward. I seem stuck here though?
The tutorial videos assume I know certain things (like what a bus was, or how to open certain pages)
I do have an understanding how to use the effects, I just can't set up my template to play to a song?
I know, very newb

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
BUS's are only needed for grouping tracks. Sounds like you need to focus on the basics of creating individual tracks.

So you'd have one stereo track for the music minus drums.
Another track for your drums (or multiple tracks if you want to have diff tracks for snare, bass, cymbals, etc and later mix the drums)
Another if you want to add percussion.

And then you'd mix the tracks together to a final output.

Probably if you just dragged a song (say an MP3 or WAV file) into the DAW, it would create that first track for you.

Now something holding you up might be if Studio One doesn't support the kind of file you're trying to drop in. Not sure if it supports MP3 but Apple files might be a problem too.

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
BUS's are only needed for grouping tracks. Sounds like you need to focus on the basics of creating individual tracks.

So you'd have one stereo track for the music minus drums.
Another track for your drums (or multiple tracks if you want to have diff tracks for snare, bass, cymbals, etc and later mix the drums)
Another if you want to add percussion.

And then you'd mix the tracks together to a final output.

Probably if you just dragged a song (say an MP3 or WAV file) into the DAW, it would create that first track for you.

Now something holding you up might be if Studio One doesn't support the kind of file you're trying to drop in. Not sure if it supports MP3 but Apple files might be a problem too.
I was thinking I was going to have a big issue this eve, as when I vwas finishing up, I had messed up my template.
I re-did my I/O , and had everything working. For whatever reason, for every XLR track I add, 3 of the same tracks end up in my template. I think I know why. I'm guessing it's so I csn add a bus, and effects channel. I also figured out different ways I can view the tracks
So my drumless music track, ended up being the last track. It was super easy to record. I'm also glad I spent a lot of time tuning, and untuning my kit, as I was happy with my sound raw...how I wanted.
I'm looking at this like moving to a new city. I'm purposely getting lost, and trying to figure out where I am.
I realize I'm just scratching the surface, but it felt good to record seamlessly to a drumless song.

What are you recording and how?
What version of StudioOne do you have?
I recorded drumd to Synchronicity 2. Just cause it's what I grabbed.
I set up my I/O in my interface (Focusrite 18i20 3rd gen) to Studio One V5 Pro. I had no idea it had a video player in the program. I'm not using any special PC's. I got an HP, but made sure it met all requirements. I also got a 2 TB external hard drive, ss I'd run out of room quick.
I started doing this way late in life, but I think I'll be okay using DAW. I know I'll run into brick walls, but nights like tonight make it worth it.

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wolf nailed it. Make a couple tracks, import in your backing track(s) (mp3, WAV), then make new tracks for recording new stuff and go. There may be other ways but this is very easy and works perfectly.

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wolf nailed it. Make a couple tracks, import in your backing track(s) (mp3, WAV), then make new tracks for recording new stuff and go. There may be other ways but this is very easy and works perfectly.
So, you guys are suggesting I make a separate stereo track for the WAV file, and then assign my drum tracks? Or build my template after I have the wave file assigned?
What issues will I run into doing it the way I did yesterday?
Like I said. One step forward, 3 back.

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So, you guys are suggesting I make a separate stereo track for the WAV file, and then assign my drum tracks? Or build my template after I have the wave file assigned?
What issues will I run into doing it the way I did yesterday?
Like I said. One step forward, 3 back.
Yes - make a stereo track for the backing track and import it. Once it's in, you can create new tracks for anything else you want to record over it.

I missing the template issue. I record on Studio One all the time and have never made or used a template.

Edit:
Feel free to PM me and I can send you my phone number and we can walk through it over the phone.

Last edited:

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes - make a stereo track for the backing track and import it. Once it's in, you can create new tracks for anything else you want to record over it.

I missing the template issue. I record on Studio One all the time and have never made or used a template.

Edit:
Feel free to PM me and I can send you my phone number and we can walk through it over the phone.
Thanks! I may take you up on that.

I think my terminology may be wrong? When i say template, I mean the tracks set up on the screen, anf ready to record, add bus, sends, and effects. I don't know why I am under the impression that's the template?
Since you are a user of Studio One, and we're on the subject, do you mind if I ask a couple questions?
Do you use the video player? What exactly is it capable of doing? Ex..sync audio to vid? Can I use multiple cameras? I have yet to touch video, yet I'm just curious what I should expect
Are there any plug ins you'd suggest? Reverb, compression, or any cool effects...other?

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use Studio One 5. You can drag any track from the Files section into the "blank" area of the track view. If the file type is not supported by S1 (but most are, now), it won't copy to the track view. I think you've figured this out already, but it's hard to tell.

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't use the video, so I'll be no help on that.

Also, I never get into BUS, Sends, etc. All my tracks are (by default) output to MAIN, and that's fine for everything I do.

In a nutshell:

1. Add a track for the background music. (Keyboard shortcut "T".)
2. Song-Import File. Browse for the WAV or mp3 of the background music and import it. It will come in on the highlighted track at the cursor location. (This can also be done drag-and-drop as others have said, but I like to be sure that my start point is accurately set, etc., so I just use the Import function.)
3. Add tracks for your new drum session. (Hit "T" as many times as you need.)
4. In the mixer screen (F3) go to the "I/O" button on the upper left and make sure that your inputs are directed correctly to the inputs on your connected device. What device are you using, BTW?
5. Record enable your drum tracks and check to be sure you are getting record levels. If not, keep fiddling with the I/O settings until you get that ironed out.
6. Set the cursor to a point before the audio starts, hit record and go.

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't use the video, so I'll be no help on that.

Also, I never get into BUS, Sends, etc. All my tracks are (by default) output to MAIN, and that's fine for everything I do.

In a nutshell:

1. Add a track for the background music. (Keyboard shortcut "T".)
2. Song-Import File. Browse for the WAV or mp3 of the background music and import it. It will come in on the highlighted track at the cursor location. (This can also be done drag-and-drop as others have said, but I like to be sure that my start point is accurately set, etc., so I just use the Import function.)
3. Add tracks for your new drum session. (Hit "T" as many times as you need.)
4. In the mixer screen (F3) go to the "I/O" button on the upper left and make sure that your inputs are directed correctly to the inputs on your connected device. What device are you using, BTW?
5. Record enable your drum tracks and check to be sure you are getting record levels. If not, keep fiddling with the I/O settings until you get that ironed out.
6. Set the cursor to a point before the audio starts, hit record and go.
Thanks! That, great info. I'm sure that info will be useful for many in the future