Any Tama 1st Chair users? Roc n soc hugger?

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am in need of a good throne. I care about comfort, look, and portability.
I have been mainly looking at Tama first chair (round), Roc n soc Nitro, Roc n soc hugger with spindle, Pork pie, and new Rogers (compact and surprisingly comfortable).
To be able to add a back rest is a plus.

I have tried both saddle top and round top and I am leaning toward round top. There is also the choice of spindle or hydraulic height adjustment mechanism. Which one to go with!?

Currently I am thinking of getting Tama first chair round rider HT430B, and if I want I can add the 1st chair back rest down the road.

9F7D1AD1-3C6B-4302-A764-0C652D75515E.png

How has your 1st chair been treating you? How do you like it?
Any roc n soc hugger users? How do you like it?

Last edited:

Wackerman12345

Reaction score
I never trying Roc n soc or May chair, but I have a tama 1st chair hydraulic since 10 years... it’s the best drum throne I have in my life: SOLID, comfortable, good looking! Expensiv but very reliable! (Cons: heavyweight chair)
I have also a DW5000 throne who are very confortable.... but the finish are not perfect like the 1st chair from tama

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Currently I am thinking of getting Tama first chair round rider HT430B, and if I want I can add the 1st chair back rest down the road.
I have owned one for a long time now, highly recommended. The padding is great, still comfortable for my bony backside, and the whole seat is very stable.
I would always opt for a spindle design, you don't want to change height that often, and I personally wouldn't likea bouncing shock absorber-like feel.
there might be some lighter seats out there though.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I am in need of a good throne. I care about comfort, look, and portability.
I have been mainly looking at Tama first chair (round), Roc n soc Nitro, Roc n soc hugger with spindle, Pork pie, and new Rogers (compact and surprisingly comfortable).
To be able to add a back rest is a plus.

I have tried both saddle top and round top and I am leaning toward round top. There is also the choice of spindle or hydraulic height adjustment mechanism. Which one to go with!?

View attachment 487038
How has your 1st chair been treating you? How do you like it?
Any roc n soc hugger users? How do you like it?
I use both (and both with backrests.) I prefer the Roc-N-Soc because it is more comfortable to me personally. The First Chair with backrest, though sets up a lot faster than the Roc-N-Soc. Both are very heavy thrones and I would have to say that they are equal - they do not weigh the same, but both are like anchors. My "short gig" throne is the new Rogers. For 1.5 to 2 hour gigs I use that because it's light, compact and reasonably comfortable. Nowhere nearly as comfortable as the Roc-N-Soc or First chair, but better than the lower end thrones on the market.

For both the Roc-N-Soc and First Chair throne bags that are sold as add-ons, neither are particularly good. The Roc-N-Soc bag does not cleanly accommodate the backrest (although their description says that it does), and the Tama bag works better for their throne, but is a bit too roomy and awkward.

Between the two thrones that are topics of discussion, the only major difference is the backrest. I prefer the way the Roc-N-Soc backrest is designed, but I am sure there will be folks who prefer the First Chair one. Personal preference. If you do not plan to get a backrest model and are positive that you will not add one in the future, my advice is to toss a coin or to go strictly by price. I have not regretted either purchase, although it's telling that I own three Roc-N-Socs and only one First Chair.

cafunko

Reaction score
I've been using the Tama hydraulic saddle throne for about 2 years. Very comfortable, I choose it because it was lighter than most of the other thrones out there even the non hydraulic models. Roc N Soc is a great product but they tend to be heavy because of the base plate on the seat.

Another consideration may be a Tama 1st Chair retro fit top model # HTS7BC. If you have a good throne base it should fit on the downtube. I use one on a lightweight Pearl tripod for my practice kit.

Last edited:

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had a doughnut rocnsoc in the past and currently use a Tama XL round rider, I definitely prefer the Tama. (I'm tall, thinnish)

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use both (and both with backrests.) I prefer the Roc-N-Soc because it is more comfortable to me personally. The First Chair with backrest, though sets up a lot faster than the Roc-N-Soc. Both are very heavy thrones and I would have to say that they are equal - they do not weigh the same, but both are like anchors. My "short gig" throne is the new Rogers. For 1.5 to 2 hour gigs I use that because it's light, compact and reasonably comfortable.
I am going to try out the new Rogers on Saturday, it is not wobbly right? Since the legs are single braced and the top is mushroom style with minimal padding (based on the look) I always felt like they focused on style rather than comfort when designing it.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Roc n Soc Hugger refers to the seat. It's just a slimmer version of their tractor/saddle seat (I have two of them and like them). But they aren't round.
Yep, slimmer version because the regular version is pretty big and does not fit easily fit everywhere, should be carried separately. So I was looking at the smaller “hugger” version. You got the hydraulic or the spindle style? Which one do you prefer?

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have owned one for a long time now, highly recommended. The padding is great, still comfortable for my bony backside, and the whole seat is very stable.
I would always opt for a spindle design, you don't want to change height that often, and I personally wouldn't likea bouncing shock absorber-like feel.
there might be some lighter seats out there though.
You have this same one in the picture or the ergo model which is more expensive. I wonder if it weights about the same with the regular roc n soc throne.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I am going to try out the new Rogers on Saturday, it is not wobbly right? Since the legs are single braced and the top is mushroom style with minimal padding (based on the look) I always felt like they focused on style rather than comfort when designing it.
Definitely not wobbly. As stable as my R-n-S or Tama.

Vicey

Reaction score
I have a First Chair with saddle seat and backrest. It's very stable and keeps its adjustment. The backrest reminds me to maintain posture while playing. But the whole setup is heavy and bulky. Also, mine is four-legged, so the three-point round-top you've pictured is probably much more wieldy and portable.

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
Yep, slimmer version because the regular version is pretty big and does not fit easily fit everywhere, should be carried separately. So I was looking at the smaller “hugger” version. You got the hydraulic or the spindle style? Which one do you prefer?
I have a hydraulic with the Hugger seat that stays in my practice room. And then I have a separate Hugger seat that I put on a lightweight Yamaha base for gigging. To be honest, I don't like the hydraulic, but I think it's because I don't weigh enough to activate it and really get the benefits from it. For instance, if I need to adjust the height, I have to get someone heavier to sit on it to push it down. I've actually been thinking of replacing the base with a spindle base. Obviously, most here probably wouldn't have this problem, since I am a petite woman. Lol. Still, it's frustrating that a product doesn't work for all body types. I do like the size of the Hugger, though. It fits in my hardware bag without breaking it down, which is how I prefer to carry my throne.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a hydraulic with the Hugger seat that stays in my practice room. And then I have a separate Hugger seat that I put on a lightweight Yamaha base for gigging. To be honest, I don't like the hydraulic, but I think it's because I don't weigh enough to activate it and really get the benefits from it. For instance, if I need to adjust the height, I have to get someone heavier to sit on it to push it down. I've actually been thinking of replacing the base with a spindle base. Obviously, most here probably wouldn't have this problem, since I am a petite woman. Lol. Still, it's frustrating that a product doesn't work for all body types. I do like the size of the Hugger, though. It fits in my hardware bag without breaking it down, which is how I prefer to carry my throne.
I see your point, ya I won’t have that problem but the regular roc n soc looks too bulky to me, that’s why if I got a roc n soc throne I would go with the hugger model. I just need to decide if I do RnS which height adjustment I should go with.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I have two Tama 1st chairs, one with a tractor seat that I use at home and a round top I use for gigging. I prefer the round top though it's a bit stiff, thought it would soften up under all my weight after 12 years but it hasn't :) What I really like is that Tama uses a nylon sleeve over the legs to protect the rubber feet. I had a roc-n-soc and wore out the rubber feet pretty quick and had to replace them.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Any male roc n soc hugger users?
Hugger is the slimmer and more portable version of regular saddle style roc n soc throne.
Any idea if the comfort level is the same with the smaller size?
Can’t find it in stores, gotta order online.