Any thoughts on my A to E conversion plan (so far)?

PaulD

Reaction score
For reasons of noice (both my own hearing problems and family considerations), I'm looking at converting my acoustic set to electronic. It's a Tama Starclassic B/B with 2 up, 2 down. This is what I'm looking at so far.

- Roland TD-25 module: I found an excellent deal on one and that's largely why I bought it. If there are features I really need and I'm missing with this one. They've introduced a TD-27 as the replacement and some of the features (like Bluetooth) look great, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much more.
- For triggers, I'm looking at internal side mount. Extreme is the leading candidate and they get very good reviews. Triggera is the other one and I like the way these mount a bit better. They have a stainless socket that screws into the vent hole and the cable then plugs into that. It's a nice design.
- For mesh heads, Drum Tech real feel 2 ply seem to get the best reviews in terms of feel and low volume.
- Cymbals are the part I haven't quite figured out. I know they need integrate with the module, particularly the ride and hi-hats. Extreme has a product to convert existing low volume cymbals to electronic. Since I have a set of Sabian Quiet Tones, this is attractive.

Any other words of wisdom are appreciated.

jazzerone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You should head over to vdrums.com if you haven't already. There's a library full of info on A to E conversions over there, and if I remember right there's even a forum dedicated to conversions. Guys here have some great ideas, but edrums is all they do over there.

PaulD

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm just starting to wade in over there, but this forum is a bit easier to navigate so I thought I'd give it a try.

I'm already considering returning the TD-25. Going over the features, I'm not sure I like it and I have another module I can borrow for a few months.

Angelo Zollo

Reaction score
For what it’s worth. I did the A to E conversion with Remo Silentstrokes and Roland triggers. I had gen 16 cymbals
I just used a TD 4 module. It really had everything I needed and I could run my phone music through it. The module was around 120 USD

Now I don’t even use it . I just play the silentstrokes and the low volume cymbals unplugged. I think you will not like the sound of the cymbals through a module. So with the quiet kit I just run my music through my phone and a headset and a metronome any old way.
I guess my point is you may discover you don’t need a high dollar module.

PaulD

Reaction score
For what it’s worth. I did the A to E conversion with Remo Silentstrokes and Roland triggers. I had gen 16 cymbals
I just used a TD 4 module. It really had everything I needed and I could run my phone music through it. The module was around 120 USD

Now I don’t even use it . I just play the silentstrokes and the low volume cymbals unplugged. I think you will not like the sound of the cymbals through a module. So with the quiet kit I just run my music through my phone and a headset and a metronome any old way.
I guess my point is you may discover you don’t need a high dollar module.
Coincidently, I just installed most of the triggers in my drums and hooked up the module for the first time. So far, I really like it. I ordered the triggers from Extreme Drums and there was a bit of an order mix up and I only got 4 out of the 6 I need, but that'll get fixed. I need to do a bit of adjustment on one of the toms, but two are great right off the bat.

Also, I found a TD17 used for a very good price and went with Drumtec for the mesh heads.

I guess I don't need this for practice, but it's definitely more fun than just hitting mesh heads. I do wish I could play an acoustic kit though.

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd go with mesh heads and low volume (l/v) cymbals if all you want is to practice at low volumes. If you dont want to switch heads on your kit then get a cheap kit and pop mesh heads on it. Plus you'll get better feel with l/v cymbals than any ecymbal pads.
[edit]
Oh, missed you saying you got the kit done. Well, still I'd go with l/v cymbals.