Any thoughts on new Ludwig Club Dates?

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
Hey DFO, I have a shot at a good deal on some new Ludwig Club Dates in 22/13/16 in a sexy classic duco finish. Same kit as below clip.

I think they sound pretty killer and would be a good contrast to my Ludwig Keystones. Happy to hear any thoughts, reviews, etc. on these bad boys.

Lastly, maybe a dumb question but vintage duco finishes notoriously flake. Nothing to be worried about there with a modern kit - right? Would imagine they figured that out.

digovii

Reaction score
Not sure about the flaking but I imagine it handles close to any other modern painted satin finish. As far as the shells, when I worked at CDE we loved them. Very warm and super lightweight. They do have a very very rounded bearing edge so it's not going to have a massive tuning range, but the tones you can get from it are quite pleasing.

Where these kits failed was their price point. It was too closely priced to a classic maple, which justifiably dominates that price range across all brands.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the sound gotten from the bass on this video. Nothing worse to me than a cardboard box thud or a stinking click coming outta a bass drum. Nice-looking kit!

goodcat1337

Reaction score
Not sure about the flaking but I imagine it handles close to any other modern painted satin finish. As far as the shells, when I worked at CDE we loved them. Very warm and super lightweight. They do have a very very rounded bearing edge so it's not going to have a massive tuning range, but the tones you can get from it are quite pleasing.

Where these kits failed was their price point. It was too closely priced to a classic maple, which justifiably dominates that price range across all brands.
I agree on the price point. I didn't really get into gear until the Club Date SE kits were out, and with them being right in that $1000 range new, I figured the new Club Dates would be about the same. I didn't really know what the difference was between the two. The newer ones are still pretty expensive on the used market as well. And I've seen people selling the SE kits try and increase their prices.

digovii

Reaction score
I agree on the price point. I didn't really get into gear until the Club Date SE kits were out, and with them being right in that $1000 range new, I figured the new Club Dates would be about the same. I didn't really know what the difference was between the two. The newer ones are still pretty expensive on the used market as well. And I've seen people selling the SE kits try and increase their prices.
I believe, and I could be wrong, but the Club Date SE's were made overseas with Cherry shells whereas the Club Dates were a 7ply maple/poplar shell made in the USA. Hence the price difference. Also, the SE's were discontinued by the time the Club Dates rolled out. SE's are solid kits but there is a significant difference between the two.

I do agree the Club Dates do hold their value pretty well on the used market. I really wish they still offered that shell. I feel that it was a more modern version of the vintage shells than what is being offered on the Classic Maples. Would love to hear a USA Club Date shell with 30 or 45-degree edges on them.

goodcat1337

Reaction score
I believe, and I could be wrong, but the Club Date SE's were made overseas with Cherry shells whereas the Club Dates were a 7ply maple/poplar shell made in the USA. Hence the price difference. Also, the SE's were discontinued by the time the Club Dates rolled out. SE's are solid kits but there is a significant difference between the two.

I do agree the Club Dates do hold their value pretty well on the used market. I really wish they still offered that shell. I feel that it was a more modern version of the vintage shells than what is being offered on the Classic Maples. Would love to hear a USA Club Date shell with 30 or 45-degree edges on them.
Yeah I found all that out after the fact, lol. I actually had a set of the SE Club Dates a few years ago. I really liked them, especially the roundover edges. I ended up getting a really good deal on a new Renown kit, so I had to sell them. But looking back, I wish I would've kept the SE kit and not bought the Renowns. I'm just really into that vintage sound these days.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like those quite a bit. They have a way back sound, and wish they’d been more successful.

I prefer the Black/Gold Duco.

In my perfect Alternative Reality Life, I’d own a big barn out in West Marin with some good players coming over once a week or so, and our set up would look like this, where I think those Clubs would fit in nicely:

8E31086E-37BA-431F-81F6-13F535064774.png