Any thoughts on these snares?

PaulD

Reaction score
I need a new snare to complete my new set and these are the three I'm considering (in order of price low to high). I'm currently using a Ludwig Supraphonic 14x5.5 but I'd like a wood drum for a bit more warmth.

- Sakae 14x5.5 Birch
- Mapex 14x6 Cherry
- Tama Starphonic 14x6 (either maple or bubinga)

The Sakae has the advantage of being a great deal (it's new) but I can never get parts for it (probably not a real concern). I'd also like a deeper drum and that's my big knock against it.

I'm going to listen to them first and buy the one I like but any thoughts are appreciated.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Note that wood won’t necessarily bring warm sound. Birch and cherry in particular are not famous for sounding warm. On the other hand, details like the shell thickness or bearing edge shape can make a big difference, so eg one cherry drum can be warmer than another.

I have the Starphonic bubinga, and it’s one of my top favorites- it gets compliments from bandmates- but I’ve gotten warmer sounds from thin maple or mahogany shells.

PaulD

Reaction score
Note that wood won’t necessarily bring warm sound. Birch and cherry in particular are not famous for sounding warm. On the other hand, details like the shell thickness or bearing edge shape can make a big difference, so eg one cherry drum can be warmer than another.

I have the Starphonic bubinga, and it’s one of my top favorites- it gets compliments from bandmates- but I’ve gotten warmer sounds from thin maple or mahogany shells.
Is it fair to say, relatively speaking, they'd be warmer than one with an aluminum shell?

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Is it fair to say, relatively speaking, they'd be warmer than one with an aluminum shell?
Nah not necessarily. Depends on the particular drum design. Of course right now you mean the Supra, but even aluminum can sound warm depending on how the shell is made.

PaulD

Reaction score
Nah not necessarily. Depends on the particular drum design. Of course right now you mean the Supra, but even aluminum can sound warm depending on how the shell is made.
Maybe I should back up a bit.

Could you give me an example of a metal shell snare that would sound similar to something like the Starphonic Bubinga?

Thanks.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well, getting into sound descriptions is super woo subjective and arguable. I’d say the George Way Elkhart (6.5” thin copper, no bead) has a similar darkness, warmth, and crispness; but the Starphonic bubinga has a super “woody” sound that the copper didn’t have. So again “warm” and “woody” aren’t synonyms.

Latest posts