Any thoughts on what this Paiste 20" is?

The Whale

Priest of the Temples of Syrinx
Reaction score
I'm pretty certain it's an Innovations ride just not sure which or if it's a prototype... Its the hammering on the bell that really has me stumped.
20200121_210127.jpg

20200121_210216.jpg

Soulfinger

Reaction score
I´m not too familiar with the Innovations line but the lathing certainly looks like it.
The hammering reminds me of the Dark Energy ride (which came after the Innovations) - maybe a prototype indeed.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks like Innovations.. Although I have seen DE Prototypes from years ago with that lathing style.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
That lathing (Sonic Texture Formula) appears on some Innovations

20-innvo-top.jpg

20-innvo-bot.jpg

20-innvo-ink.jpg

It appears on some Dimensions like the Cool Ride which has a bell with some hammering and is unlathed on the underside of the bell.

20-cool-bot.jpg

20-cool-top.jpg

20-cool-logo.jpg

It appears on some Dark Energy models like the Light Dark Ride and Hats:

20-1926-top.jpg

20-1926-bot.jpg

20-1926-ink.jpg

And yes there are prototypes as well. But I've run into the attachment limit. These images are all on their way to the reconstructed Paiste-Only wiki if they aren't already there.

Here is a some info about the Sonic Texture Formula:

with more info coming soon to a Wiki near you. Now I'm back to add more content.

Last edited:

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
It's a Cool Ride, formerly Dimensions and moved to 2002 before it was discontinued

Thank you for using the wiki. :glasses8:

I just wasn't sure how to confirm Cool Ride and rule out Prototype or some other model/series since I haven't seen the underside of the bell on the one wanting identification. But then I don't claim great expertise on the B8 cymbals. That's not my department. I'm just chief cook and bottle washer.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thank you for using the wiki. :glasses8:

I just wasn't sure how to confirm Cool Ride and rule out Prototype or some other model/series since I haven't seen the underside of the bell on the one wanting identification. But then I don't claim great expertise on the B8 cymbals. That's not my department. I'm just chief cook and bottle washer.
I loooooovvvvvvveeeee the new wiki. I appreciate the effort to get the information back online.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks like a Cool ride to me!

Awesome on the Wiki being back. Anyone know how we can contribute?

msum

Reaction score
Bit of a zombie thread.

How do they do that Sound Texture Formula lathing?

jtpaistegeist, I think you can ask zenstat about contributing to the wiki. My thanks also to zenstat for looking after the wiki.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Bit of a zombie thread.

How do they do that Sound Texture Formula lathing?

jtpaistegeist, I think you can ask zenstat about contributing to the wiki. My thanks also to zenstat for looking after the wiki.
He's already on the Wiki crew and working on Independent Cymbalsmiths.

Sonic Texture Formula is meant of be a patented lathing process, but I haven't looked it up to get the patent number. Here it is on the Paiste site which only says "Patent Pending".

scroll along horizontally to 2001. I'm also pleased to see that Google searches bring up Cymbal Wiki

I've been concentrating on content not optimizing search results, so it's good to see that we are getting hits on search engines. Now back to more research which will turn into more content. :glasses8: