header.nohb.html

Any tips and tricks for mesh bass drum head feel?

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm giving the Evans db One heads a try for some silent practice at home and the bass drum head is giving me some troubles with the rebound and bounce back happening. Any thoughts or ideas people have done with their homes setups to try to make the bass drum feel more realistic? Even with a ported head it bounces like an unported bass drum so I'd like to be able to minimize that and bury a beater if possible without the buzz.

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use the Remo mesh head on my bass drum for practice, and I stuff it with a few pillows and loosen the tension; otherwise it’s really bouncy. I also use an impact patch to absorb some of the bounce. When I play with regular heads I use felt strips for muffling and an unported reso head, and I can get the mash head to feel pretty close to my regular set up.

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
93BFB0FD-5015-4ADE-ADEC-56A29A92C5F5.jpeg

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use the Remo mesh head on my bass drum for practice, and I stuff it with a few pillows and loosen the tension; otherwise it’s really bouncy. I also use an impact patch to absorb some of the bounce. When I play with regular heads I use felt strips for muffling and an unported reso head, and I can get the mash head to feel pretty close to my regular set up.
The db One has a patch in the center built into the head. Do you put the pillows right up against the batter head?

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The db One has a patch in the center built into the head. Do you put the pillows right up against the batter head?
Yep. It took a bit of experimentation to get the feel just right. I ended up with two pillows.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
I put a section of duct tape (gorilla tape actually) on the batter strike point. FWIW that was optimal for me.

On both sides.

Hypercaffium

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't own a db One kick drum mesh head. What I do with my Remo Silentstroke is 1) no pillow at all 2) it's very floppy (finger tightened) and 3) Evans clear patch in the center (external). You must play with the tension until basically you can bury the beater without having problems with triggering. Once you got there you have the most realistic rebound, in my experience.