Any Trixon experts out there? Need advice

Jim Messina

Reaction score
I’m overwhelmed with the amount of Trixon and Vox that I’m being presented with. There are all these conical bass drum shells and floor Tom shells and hardware.
I really don’t know much about Trixon and Vox drums but when I see so many parts and projects in one place I can’t help but want to complete these unusual sets.
I just need to know what’s what “
I don’t know what to pay for this stuff
But I think it would be cool to restore some of the wierd shaped bass drums and learn
the nerdy minutia that goes along with it.

Attachments

Last edited:

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Jim:

I owned a Trixon Telstar set that I restored myself. A few things for you:

1) Wrapping the conical shells is a royal pain in the ass. You have to make a paper template , then cut the wrap into thirds to make a reasonable sized sheet fit. It will take alot of practice. You will end up with 3 seams on the bass drum shell. It CAN look Ok tho, mine looked pretty good.

2) Lugs, etc. The Trixon lugs, cymbal mounts, spur mounts, tom tom mounts, etc are ALL proprietary and unless there is a TON of them in the stash you're buying, I'd forget it. You have to go on EBAY , Reverb, and the Trixon German site to get ANY part. And be prepared to be shocked at the prices. I paid $85 for one bass drum spur mount.

3) You will need some non standard sized heads. For the Telstar sets, the batter size is "a Trixon 20" which is different than the American 20. What I had to do was put a 20 inch Tom Tom head (yes, they exist) because it has a smaller rim, on the batter side, then very carefully arrange the tension rods so that they all catched. Its arduous, and you may not want to deal with it.

4) What it comes down to do is this: Trixon drums are like owning a cool 60s car like an Avanti. nothing is standard, it will cost you alot of $$ to maintain, you will have to be a do it yourselfer to get it all to work.
BUT, if you dont mind all the hurdles, Trixon drums are the coolest looking drums you will ever play.
When I gigged with mine, at EVERY show, someone would come up to me and ask about them because they were so cool looking.

I hope this helped you a little bit!

Retro

Jim Messina

Reaction score
Now “that’s”a helpful reply !!
Thank you so much”
I still have to assess and take inventory
Because there were boxes of lugs and stands ,Speedfire shells and hoops”
I really appreciate the education “

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
You are most welcome Jim. I'll be interested to hear from you about how much hardware is there, because thats the hardest item to get. the stands are another story altogether...they are another pain in the ass. The legs are not regular hinged legs like every other drum stand...nope...you have to pull them straight OUT, where a spring catches, and thats how they work. They break and are a pain to fix. in 47 years, I've never seen another stand with that kind of spring mechanism in the legs. Over engineered.
Are the sellers asking you for a bid, or do they have a set price in mind? You need to realize (and I'm sure you do), that the market for Trixon drums is pretty tiny, ALTHO, you might be able to sell some restored sets overseas, where Trixon is the most popular.

Last edited:

trixonian

DFO Master
Reaction score
That’s quite the treasure trove. A few random thoughts to give. Only very early trixon (50’s?) would be truly metric, anything with the later rectangular (as opposed to shark took) lugs is standard size for heads. That being said I’ve had some Telstar (conical) drums where the head fits tight. Another issue with the conical bass drum is the the claws are hard to get on the hoop, due to splay. In my opinion, speedfire bass drums are the holy grail, I’ve never seen one for less than $1,000. Of course speedfire heads will cost you, but remo makes them. The luxus (normal shaped) drums sound quite good but are the least collectible. Cymbal stands are rare compared to bass drum pedals and hi hat stands. Other treasures to look out for are small accessories like drum keys, hi hat clutches and disappearing cymbal rods. Also if disassembling drums, be careful that screws can shear off inside lugs, especially if they have been stored in humid conditions.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Trix:

I cant really agree with your statement, because My Telstar bass drum shell (batter side) was not a regular 20 inches...it was about 19.5 . Thats why I had to use a tom tom head, which had a thinner rim.