Any way to polish Gretsch Round badges while still on the drum?

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hi guys :

Has anyone found a good, quick way to polish tarnished Gretsch badges while still on the drum? mine are REALLY dark and tarnished, and I'd like to shine them up.

Theres something called "Tarn-X" but i dont think it works on the Gretsch badges. Any ideas?

Thanks, Retro.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You might look up Nevr Dull wadding polish. FFWD To about 13:20

I will add, I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THAT WILL DO TO A WRAP OR FINISH. So, if you use it, you might want to tape off the surround area. I like the fact that you can minimize how much you use.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I use nev-r-dull wadding which is easy to control and doesn't hurt the wrap. It takes a fair amount of rubbing with the wadding and whatever is soaked in it followed up with a cotton flannel cloth.My goal was always to shine up the highlights ( the embossed portions) while leaving the patina in the relief portions more or less intact. I'm not sure what they looked like new but the old illustrations in catalogs leave me to believe that is the "correct" original look.

This applies to vintage round badges only, not sure on later badges which seem to have a lacquer type patina applied.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I tried polishing a vintage 60s round badge on my 4157 model Name Band snare drum before I realized it was designed to have a dark & patina'd look intentionally - so I vote to leave vintage round badges badges alone.

Skeet6

Reaction score
^^this^^ I think anything that will brighten the high edges will remove the "darker" background and look bad. Leave as is, but clean with soap and water and maybe a toothbrush. Good luck!
Mike B

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
I personally wouldn’t, because tarnished badges look old and shiny badges can easily look fake.

But if you just have to, I’d use a q-tip and something like Novus 2 & 1. Get the fuzziness off/shininess back.

But it’s so much easier to remove old funk than it is to add it. Better safe than sorry, for me.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Get some painters tape and tape around the sides of the badge. . Put a dab of Bar Keeper's Friend on a Q-tip. Apply And give it a minute. I did that when I was Doing a restore on a RB name band snare and I'm not happy that I did that. Although now lightly tarnished, It was a very bright loud brass color. Should have left it alone.

Latest posts