Any Yamaha sd6465 owners out there?

CLMacPherson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently purchased a set of Yamaha recording customs (that I'll be listing in the for sale section soon) which came with a copper sd6465 snare. I've fiddled with it a bit, but was wondering what other owners are running on the batter. It has a coated power stroke on it now which I believe is killing the drum. Any suggestions?

Thanks

egw

Reaction score
I've had really good luck with the Remo Ambassador X on my 6.5x14 Yamaha brass snare. I also like the Vintage Ambassador. Both heads would probably work well on copper drums as well.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a set of Yamaha recording customs (that I'll be listing in the for sale section soon) which came with a copper sd6465 snare. I've fiddled with it a bit, but was wondering what other owners are running on the batter. It has a coated power stroke on it now which I believe is killing the drum. Any suggestions?
What kind of music do you primarily play on that snare? Can't give an accurate head suggestion unless we know what you're doing with it.

However, if you're playing heavier rock (mostly rimshots), I've recommend the Aquarian Texture Coated Power Dot as a batter. That's what I use on my SD-495 and I can imagine it'd likely work well for an SD-6465, too.

BNK

Reaction score
I always recommend starting with the industry standard Remo coated Ambassador and determine what characterics you want to enhance or reduce. This will give you an idea where to go head wise once you get a clearer idea of the drums potential and/or issues.

CLMacPherson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I set up for versatility, so I'll likely go the standard Ambassador route as BNK suggested. Hell, I may even try the X. Thanks for the suggestions.