Anybody got $85K laying around?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for the Moon snare, the description is classic:

Moonie played the drum with a cricket bat! Moon gives it to Alan White. In the late 1990's when Alan White shows up at Donn Bennett's selling Girl Scout cookies for his daughter. White also uses it on the 90125 album.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The same idiot who sues for $40M gets a counter offer of $50K, and they says, well how about $100K? Bad negotiation "skills".......

bubo

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most interesting and new to me in this era are the Lugs and the Key.
So, those are the "Two-Way-Lugs" and "3-Way-Key" a well know Japanese company invented in the late 80th?... :banghead:

vintagemore2000

DFO Star
Reaction score
Expensive?...Yes it is... Rare?.... Yes it is, Are there others?.. no. Is it a piece of History?... Yes it is. Is it cool as can be ?.... Yes it is. Love it, love it, love it....

AGentry

Reaction score
I was fortunate to be able to go over to Ted Reed’s house and check out his Billy Gladstone collection in 1985. If only cell phones were around then. He thought Gladstone drums were not being taken care of so he was trying to buy them up. This drum was there along with Gladstone’s gold drum from Radio City Hall. The stand was Gladstone’s; the base was the bottom of a music stand used at Radio City made by Kliegl. He just put the top of a snare drum stand in it and painted it to match the bottom. There were several drums there (7 or 8?) and he would tell me the life story of each one and let me play on them. So I’ m sure the drum/ stand is real and an amazing ( expensive) piece of history.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

hardbat

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amazing drum.
The stand looks precarious.

The true holy grail of all time would be Chick Webb's Gladstone kit.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Some millionaire will buy that drum and put it on display in his mansion.

A sad ending for a great musical instrument. It really belongs in a museum, so at least the public can see it and appreciate it.

Castnblast

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Probably way fewer Gladstones...
I think there were 91 pre war D45’s built. Apparently approx 50 Gladstone snare drums were built. I own the Ray Reilly Gladstone drum. I met and became a friend of his in the 80’s in Toronto.
They say Billy was a genius and his custom snare drums are special no doubt.
Pre war D 45’s can sell for $500k. Early Les Paul’s, Strats and Teles sell for almost as much.

I’ve always wondered why the key vintage drum kits and snares (RB gretsch, camcos, cob ludwig etc) do not command higer prices.
Especially the Gladstone drums. They are the grail of the contemporary drum world.

Time will tell. Yes, it is crazy money, but 85k for the Reed drum and the famous syncopation cover stand does not seem over the top considering values of other mainstream produced instruments mentioned above.
Some of you may have seen this in the past, attached is a pic of my drum. I’m not a collector - and the drum lives in my music room in rotation with 4 other modest snare drums that I gig with on a semi regular basis. I don’t take it to my rock gig, but it does get out of the house every now and again.

Attachments

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there were 91 pre war D45’s built. Apparently approx 50 Gladstone snare drums were built. I own the Ray Reilly Gladstone drum. I met and became a friend of his in the 80’s in Toronto.
They say Billy was a genius and his custom snare drums are special no doubt.
Pre war D 45’s can sell for $500k. Early Les Paul’s, Strats and Teles sell for almost as much.

I’ve always wondered why the key vintage drum kits and snares (RB gretsch, camcos, cob ludwig etc) do not command higer prices.
Especially the Gladstone drums. They are the grail of the contemporary drum world.

Time will tell. Yes, it is crazy money, but 85k for the Reed drum and the famous syncopation cover stand does not seem over the top considering values of other mainstream produced instruments mentioned above.
Some of you may have seen this in the past, attached is a pic of my drum. I’m not a collector - and the drum lives in my music room in rotation with 4 other modest snare drums that I gig with on a semi regular basis. I don’t take it to my rock gig, but it does get out of the house every now and again.
Way more hobbyist guitarists than drummers.