header.nohb.html

Anybody have an early Gretsch snare with tapped lugs?

GrandpaCleve

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks to a fellow forum member Rich M. I scored a metal early Rogers drum with British made markings on the throw off and backing butt plate. It made question the wood model with tapped lugs that I've had for 10+ yrs that has a Daisy Brand badge and is clear coated on the exterior. Upon closer inspection I found the backing of the butt plate to be marked, "British Made."

Both 1939 catalogs refer to the wood shell models as 3ply mahogany. The Rogers catalog doesn't offer this wood model in 6 1/2 x14 but they do in metal and had this size offered in other wood models so I am o.k. with over looking this small difference.

My question is to anybody with an early Gretsch rocket lug drum that has the tapped first batch of these lugs. Are there any "British or England" markings on the butt plate backing chunk of metal or on the side or back of the throw off???

My clear coated Daisy Brand drum didn't have the half moon peeking out from under the badge as if there was a previous Gretsch round badge on it. As you can see in the yellow re-paint drum that had a Gretsch badge on it and I placed a Union badge on it. I intend to make it the top model Rogers drum one day.

But I first need to find a spare Three Star Brand badge and more British made parts. Already have a partial 3pt Made In England throw off but I need the bottom part. This will take years to find both the 3 star badge, British butt plate and bottom part for the throw off. I'm in it for the long haul (and crazy I know) anyway on that project. But you can clearly see the top circle that isn't found on my wood mahogany Daisy Brand drum. Trying to believe it is a Rogers "in the works" drum because the throw off isn't marked British or Made in England on the side or back.

So... Anybody out there have an early Gretsch tapped lug drum to compare hardware charateristics?

Attachments

• Gretsch 1939 catalog.jpg
    Gretsch 1939 catalog.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 33
  • pg3 Rogers catalog 11.1.1939.jpg
    pg3 Rogers catalog 11.1.1939.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 54
  • 1939 Rogers Brighton Model.jpg
    1939 Rogers Brighton Model.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 35
  • BritishMade2.jpg
    BritishMade2.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 27
  • gggg10.jpg
    gggg10.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 27
  • gggg11.jpg
    gggg11.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 27
  • rocket lugs with tapped.jpg
    rocket lugs with tapped.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 32

GrandpaCleve

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am clapping with one hand on this thread! After sleeping on it and more thought I think that it would be correct that there are no English/British parts found on Gretsch drums. After all they were in business longer making drums and they did have a full repair shop as advertised in the 1936 Gretsch counter catalog. Also, they were very proud of the "ALL AMERICAN" decal badges out on early Gretsch drums.

I have concluded that the exterior clear coat was done by Rogers to help seal the exterior and help the badge stay put. The pins don't go through the shell and aren't bent over. Just into the shell which was thin as well. The exterior sealant could of been a secondary way to ensure the pins and badge wouldn't shift. Just a drum for thought...
Pics below:

Attachments

• gggg1.jpg
    gggg1.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 15
  • gggg2.jpg
    gggg2.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 17

kdsdwc

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm of no help to you , Gary , but Thanks for posting .
And if you give up , you'll never find what you're looking for . Persistance trumps everything !

GrandpaCleve

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks Kevin. It's o.k. Glad to have a place to argue it out with pics and text even for my own sanity. Helps to reason it out this way even if it is in a public place to babble on.

I think I've figured it out by now and no need for anybody to reply unless their tapped rocket lug American made 1938/39 Gretsch for some odd reason has English/British marked parts.

I am calling it, "in the collection still," an early example of Rogers mahog.1938/9 snare drum.

rikkrebs

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one and can't find any British marked parts. However, It was missing a tension rod when I got it and I replaced it with a Premier 12/24 slotted tension rod.

Attachments

• 6ED0419A-30D3-4C98-9AA9-A616CE14A303.jpeg
    6ED0419A-30D3-4C98-9AA9-A616CE14A303.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 91C1FD14-988A-484B-B461-E8B302844A3C.jpeg
    91C1FD14-988A-484B-B461-E8B302844A3C.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 14

slapstick

Reaction score
known fact that u.k drum makers ---especially Carlton and Premier---were exchanging parts with gretsch. witness the gretsch-gladstone ( and of course later Gladstone ) drum hardware use of premier equipment, but, on the standard gretsch broadcaster snare drum of the mid and late 30's the use of an extremely look-alike Carlton three point throw-off.

GrandpaCleve

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Carlton 3pt.

Attachments

• Goodwill R lug 3pt. throw off.JPG
    Goodwill R lug 3pt. throw off.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Goodwill R lug.JPG
    Goodwill R lug.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 8
  • england_strainer2.jpg