Anybody have any experience with UFIP cymbals?

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That is awesome to hear, I am really pleased it was a home run! Welcome to the club and I look forward to even more of them in the set up over time!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had a 14" china splash I bought new @ GC during my Neil Peart days in the early 90's. Broke it in about a month. Returned it, they gave me a new one - broke it in about 3 mos! Returned it and never went back to UFIP. It was thin and nice but didn't work for me.....and I never went back to UFIP.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a 14" china splash I bought new @ GC during my Neil Peart days in the early 90's. Broke it in about a month. Returned it, they gave me a new one - broke it in about 3 mos! Returned it and never went back to UFIP. It was thin and nice but didn't work for me.....and I never went back to UFIP.
I've read some stories of older ones breaking. Apparently it used to be an issue but no longer. (I hope:rolleyes:!)

cdrummer

Reaction score
I'm quite excited & curious about the new Est. 1931 series from UFiP.
I've yet to sample them in person and I'm almost hesitant to because I'll probably love them and go on a buying $pree with funds I don't have to spend on more cymbals, ya know?

Still, I'll be keepng an eye on the Amazon blowouts.
I tried these at NAMM and they sounded incredible. Would definitely be high on my list if I was looking for new jazz cymbals. The Italian cymbal sound is quite different from the Turkish sound (Istanbul, Bosphorus, etc.), but it's one that I tend to prefer as I feel the frequency spectrum is broader and they work very nicely in the context of a group.

johnjssmith

Reaction score
I'm italian so I had the chance to use a number of different UFIP cymbals in a number of different contexts, and I've never liked them.

I've broke some (while I've had no such problem with other high quality cymbals) and I have this very vivid memory of a keyboard player I rehearsed for a couple times that said something along the lines of, "man, I'm sorry, but that crash sounds just awful".
A pro drummer friend of mine laughed when I told him, and said, "well if even the keyboard player noticed it must have been reeeally bad".
It was a 17" Natural crash IIRC.

I strongly disagree with a comment I read earlier in this thread, stating that UFIP's Natural series is on par with Paiste's Sig Dark Energy series - in my opinion the Sig DE are on another lever entirely, UFIP's Natural stuff sound like heavy sheets of metal mixed with plastic in comparison.

Now that you've read my take together with everyone else's it's clear that you should try UFIP cymbals in person, as you'll get no surefire opinion from this thread :p

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Natually, everyone's experience will differ somewhat, but personally I've never heard a UFiP that I didn't like, even if I didn't love it.

REF

Reaction score
I own a bunch of them, since the late '90s. Class series. Exquisite splashes. The bells are thicker, by profile, than other brands and they just sing. Rides, crashes, doesn't matter. I have found the rides on the dry side, though I have some on the lighter side and they are beautiful instruments. The hi hats are fantastic, too.

In sound comparisons the Classics just sound so musical and crammed with tone I have never gone for the other model lines.

I compare them to Signatures. They each have their own sound but, they are definitely different from Zildjians and Sabians and the more "turkish" sound.

They claim the roto pouring of the molds makes all the difference and I couldn't argue the point. However the molecules settle in, they settle as musically as any cymbal I have heard, and the lathing lines are often unique, as well. Very unlike other manufacturers.

I have a fair amount of cymbals and if I had to get rid of any, the UFIPs would go last, if at all.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Man I don't know but I'm loving that 18" Bionic crash that I bought. It sounds incredibly clean. My brother in law came over yesterday and he's a drummer too. He's into old Avedis cymbals and Byzance. He was stunned by it's sound and he said he's never heard a cymbal like that. He kept hitting it and shaking his head. First time he had ever heard a UFIP in person. I've been playing it for a few days and I see myself using it alot. It's definitely different than my Turkish cymbals but in a good way. My favorite from my bunch is a 20" Mehmet Murathan crash but the UFIP from what I see will become my #2. It plays great alongside that 20". I'm really looking forward to more UFIP's. Johnjssmith mentioned about the keyboard players comment and I don't see how that's possible. I personally wouldn't guide myself by 1 keyboard players comment. To begin with, keyboard players listen to sampled sounds all day so I don't see them as the best judge for a cymbals sound.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I own a bunch of them, since the late '90s. Class series. Exquisite splashes. The bells are thicker, by profile, than other brands and they just sing. Rides, crashes, doesn't matter. I have found the rides on the dry side, though I have some on the lighter side and they are beautiful instruments. The hi hats are fantastic, too.

In sound comparisons the Classics just sound so musical and crammed with tone I have never gone for the other model lines.

I compare them to Signatures. They each have their own sound but, they are definitely different from Zildjians and Sabians and the more "turkish" sound.

They claim the roto pouring of the molds makes all the difference and I couldn't argue the point. However the molecules settle in, they settle as musically as any cymbal I have heard, and the lathing lines are often unique, as well. Very unlike other manufacturers.

I have a fair amount of cymbals and if I had to get rid of any, the UFIPs would go last, if at all.
So you would be the guy to ask since you are experienced with UFIP. My next one is going to be a dry ride. Something with a good stick definition that has little wash. I'm currently using a 22" Mehmet ping ride but I've noticed that it's great for rock but not much else. The body sounds alot like the bell and it has tons of wash. I want something dry where you could clearly identify playing on the body vs. the bell. What UFIP series (and size) would you suggest? I've been looking at the natural & class series.

REF

Reaction score
Only having Class series I couldn't comment on the others. Taste in cymbals is so subjective. I almost got a used 22" heavy ride on ebay but, in looking it up on youtube it was too dry for me. I have a 19" medium that I love. Has a character of sound like Buddy's ride before he went to a Rock ride on some later recordings. Wouldn't be your thing, though.

Otherwise I have a 21" crash ride (Steve heard that one), a 22" used ride that I took down some to turn it into a crash ride, and 22" ultra light ride.

I believe the UFIP youtube page has very accurate portrayals of their cymbals, which are made very consistent model to model and size to size. They have hundreds of videos up and you'll get a good idea of what they offer.

I think the Class series, though dry to my ears, would not be dry enough for you. The other lines will have something you'd like, I'm sure.

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I just tried some Class series yesterday and to my ears not very dry. I tried several UFIP series and found most much brighter than the usual Turkish suspects....more Paiste-like than Zildjian/Sabian. The darkest, and maybe dryest, seemed to be the 1931's. You REALLY have to try them yourself to find what sound works for you.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Only having Class series I couldn't comment on the others. Taste in cymbals is so subjective. I almost got a used 22" heavy ride on ebay but, in looking it up on youtube it was too dry for me. I have a 19" medium that I love. Has a character of sound like Buddy's ride before he went to a Rock ride on some later recordings. Wouldn't be your thing, though.

Otherwise I have a 21" crash ride (Steve heard that one), a 22" used ride that I took down some to turn it into a crash ride, and 22" ultra light ride.

I believe the UFIP youtube page has very accurate portrayals of their cymbals, which are made very consistent model to model and size to size. They have hundreds of videos up and you'll get a good idea of what they offer.

I think the Class series, though dry to my ears, would not be dry enough for you. The other lines will have something you'd like, I'm sure.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

REF

Reaction score
Hmm, I just tried some Class series yesterday and to my ears not very dry. I tried several UFIP series and found most much brighter than the usual Turkish suspects....more Paiste-like than Zildjian/Sabian. The darkest, and maybe dryest, seemed to be the 1931's. You REALLY have to try them yourself to find what sound works for you.
Oh, I didn't mean all Class Series. FAR from it. That's why I love them. They have tremendous flow of tones. But, all the rides I have heard or owned from the Class line have all been drier than comparative cymbals from other companies in medium and medium-heavy weights, wide-open models like A or AA or Signatures; though UFIP just has their L-M-H classifications.

I had a UFIP heavy ride. It didn't sound gongy or clangy or monolithic metallic disk, like many other companies sell but, it was dry sounding comparatively speaking.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So I recieved the UFIP Natural 21" light ride today. Amazing it survived Amazon's packaging. They just threw it in a flimsy oversized box in it's original factory nylon bag. But it got here OK! I played it for 1 hour and it's exactly what I wanted. It's perfect!
It has me thinking about my other cymbals. I'm sorry to have to say this but UFIP makes the best cymbals period. The sound is unlike nothing else. This is my second UFIP cymbal! It's sad because I have pure Turkish cymbals and have had Paiste & Sabian in the past. These cymbals put everything else to shame. I'm strongly considering doing a full UFIP cymbal flip. I understand now why the retail price is so high. Their is nothing like them!

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mine was due today, but they overshot it to Louisville rather than DFW. Sucks; it was a great day to welcome a cymbal with the weather!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mine was due today, but they overshot it to Louisville rather than DFW. Sucks; it was a great day to welcome a cymbal with the weather!
Damn that sucks! I hate when that happens!

anthony marquart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those really crazy prices are a problem for me. I bought a couple more, a Bionic ride and 13 inch hats, and that real bright trashy sounding series a 16 in crash to use like a china. my wife is going to kill me. Almost hope I don't like a few so I can return some. I think I will though.. Ill be unloading a bunch of cymbals cheap real soon..

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Those really crazy prices are a problem for me. I bought a couple more, a Bionic ride and 13 inch hats, and that real bright trashy sounding series a 16 in crash to use like a china. my wife is going to kill me. Almost hope I don't like a few so I can return some. I think I will though.. Ill be unloading a bunch of cymbals cheap real soon..
Welcome to the club! I've been doing it for months. First with the Mehmet's & Soultones and now it's UFIP (Damn Amazon!) And snares too! I've learned though that my wife's reaction has improved after I've dedicated my discretionary spending to only drum gear. If I stick to one thing and buy (not every day), she's OK. If I was hooked on buying other stuff as well, then she would be pissed. I do make sure though that it's discretionary income for that stuff and never anything that's out of our budget. So it's one hobby for me and that's it!

Maggot

Reaction score
Welcome to the club! I've been doing it for months. First with the Mehmet's & Soultones and now it's UFIP (Damn Amazon!) And snares too! I've learned though that my wife's reaction has improved after I've dedicated my discretionary spending to only drum gear. If I stick to one thing and buy (not every day), she's OK. If I was hooked on buying other stuff as well, then she would be pissed. I do make sure though that it's discretionary income for that stuff and never anything that's out of our budget. So it's one hobby for me and that's it!
My wife is the most critical of my drum purchases of all my music purchases. Which is not to say that she's always on my case, but she does raise an eyebrow. Maybe it's because it's the instrument that I'm worst at. Maybe it's that it's loud AF and I'm already beginning to lose my hearing, and I refuse to get an electronic set. Maybe it's that the only place in my house to put a bunch of instruments is my living room (although she does appreciate that I replaced my monstrous late 70s Pearl kit with a Breakbeats set).

But I do buy guitar and bass stuff as well. Plus fuzzboxes.

The hearing damage part is probably the biggest disincentive to buying more cymbals. I can only listen to the things with earplugs in.

Latest posts