Anybody have any inside info/predictions on DW's 50th anniversary?

KingLudwig

Reaction score
I was hoping they secured some wood from Noah's ark for the project. In all seriousness they should try to get some of the redwoods in Northern California.
I'd rather see them used for drums than burnt down to the ground.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect some mighty expensive examples of anniversary-themed finishes to be showcased. Looking forward to seeing whatever they come up with. Something to be said about what I believe to be the nicest exotic finishes to be had from a drum-maker. DW's exotics are absolutely stunning.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those stainless Ludwig and these new DW stainless drums gave me an idea. I have every size of chrome LP timbales. Brass ones too. I just might have a giant single-headed bass timbale shell made to go with them. I can make the hoop and roll the shell's reinforcing ribs on the English wheel. I'm thinking a 22 or 24 incher. There's a great metal guy just inside the Mexican border a few minutes away. I've seen his work and it's mighty tempting. Make use of nothing but my FX cymbals and percussive instruments. No standard cymbals of any kind. Figure what FX sounding things to put on the hat stands besides Tambos or ice-bells. Maybe aluminum, brass or steel dinner plates. Hub caps? Bicycle rims? Just has to make a cool noise! A stinking timbale kit, that's the ticket!

esooy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect some mighty expensive examples of anniversary-themed finishes to be showcased. Looking forward to seeing whatever they come up with. Something to be said about what I believe to be the nicest exotic finishes to be had from a drum-maker. DW's exotics are absolutely stunning.
I totally agree. I wish a lot more people had an idea of what it takes to do those finishes. It would really put into better perspective the prices they charge. But, as they say, no one is forcing anyone to buy it. Last I heard from a one of my contacts there is that they are busier than ever.

T-2

Reaction score
How about a wish? A spot-on copy of an Oaklawn kit with a 14x24" bass drum, and 8x12, 9x13, 16x16. By copy, I mean sonically, shell layup, edges, every detail. No fancy wood finish, just Walnut.

Last edited:

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How about a wish? A spot-on copy of an Oaklawn kit with a 24" bass drum, and 8x12, 9x13, 16x16. By copy, I mean sonically, shell layup, edges, every detail. No fancy wood finish, just Walnut.
That would be sweet!

nmosko

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was hoping they secured some wood from Noah's ark for the project. In all seriousness they should try to get some of the redwoods in Northern California.
I'd rather see them used for drums than burnt down to the ground.
now THAT is an idea. What wood better read resents California than the giant redwoods? Making a kit from one of those as a homage to the idea of California born and bred would be so so cool. Man what an idea!!!

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
John Good with a Wood lug prototype
View attachment 519231
Yes, the backstory about these:

Peter received this drum as the artisans of the UP Drum Company in the SüdTirol region of northern Italy were interested to demonstrate their craftsmanship to the design team at Drum Workshop (hence, the wooden DW lugs). This is the drum for the ultimate DW collector.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think they're going full-Magnet no screws on some models

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Which is quite a copy of the Remo Legero bass drum. View attachment 519289
Now it would be fun if we could find something that even pre-dates the Legero.

The Purecussion R.I.M.S. Kit? Albeit only a rim the idea of a ful, yet compact kick was there.

Or was that released around the same time?

Btw I don’t think the Pancake was inspired by the Legero, but by the Pancake gong drum they already had, and combined that with the legs (they also already had). Maybe after someone used his gong as kick.

Like how some of their artists started used the Woofer as gong drum.

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
IDK, but I’m excited! I need a snare to match my 40th Anniversary 8x14. Maybe even a full kit if I have the dough and it’s cool enough.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about a wish? A spot-on copy of an Oaklawn kit with a 14x24" bass drum, and 8x12, 9x13, 16x16. By copy, I mean sonically, shell layup, edges, every detail. No fancy wood finish, just Walnut.
Gosh, I'd love that. Maple/gum shells, 6 ply, the whole deal....