Anybody keep kits around that they don't ever play?

Roch

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm doing some soul searching about a 60's Round Badge kit I have owned for a couple of years. It is in great shape with matching snare..problem is I just bought a new kit that I will probably leave set up in my drum room as I only have enough room to set one up at a time..so, there it sits in the corner..I'm not one to swap kits out randomly just for the fun of it and I don't want to use it as a gigger.. I guess it's an investment but seems like a shame to just have it there..I could sell it and buy some snare drums that I would probably play a lot more..Or cymbals...I don't want sellers remorse either..

Has anybody had/have this issue?

Last edited:

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I did for a while, especially with the snare collection. But this past year I’ve been selling off anything I don’t play at least on occasion.
Went from almost hoarding drums to whittling down to what’s useful.
Came with age I guess. IDK

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have more than I need. I don’t get to play as often now since having kids. But I still enjoy it all when I can. Maybe in 20 years I’ll sell a few things. Guess it depends on your situation.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Usually if somethings kept but not used it (could be) being kept for Parts.
(So) the main active kit would /will have some similarity with the kept spare/docked drum/kits

(double word score usage of word "docked" on dfo)

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
In your case ; ) with a Ludwig the Gretsch doesn't have "any relation" as a Spare parts but Man.
It looks like million bux +/- lol1

if that's it and assume it is
me with 66, 68 and 2010 Gretsch around, I've that commonality that justifies the Keep.

bob e michael

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm doing some soul searching about a 60's Round Badge kit I have owned for a couple of years. It is in great shape with matching snare..problem is I just bought a new kit that I will probably leave set up in my drum room as I only have enough room to set one up at a time..so, there it sits in the corner..I'm not one to swap kits out randomly just for the fun of it and I don't want to use it as a gigger.. I guess it's an investment but seems like a shame to just have it there..I could sell it and buy some snare drums that I would probably play a lot more..Or cymbals...I don't want sellers remorse either..

Has anybody had/have this issue?
what's the sizes and finish of your rb set ?

Roch

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
20/14/12...That was a photo of it temporarily set up in the middle of my zen room..I love it, and don't really need the money so I think for now
it will sit there a while longer..

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you don’t think you’ll use them sell them and get something that you will. I would counsel that you wait till the newness of the new kit wears of to decide which one to keep

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
whoa I missed that one by a Mile! lol

20'12'14
Gretsch with a Rail is a Money maker---I mean Gig Wise! easy to carry and simple and easy to Set up.

Just got to find a (general business) band.. (thing of the past +/-

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's an amazing rare Gretsch 20 12 14... well what I mean is...

Looks like a small lug 14X14- good a positive (weight wise and visually)
Cymbal Mount in center of Bass- that tips (no pun) toward certain build dates (59-60? early
WMP- not a very common RB finish- bonus point there.

*Are there tags with Serial Numbers in the kit Roch.
If you have them post them/ if you want to)

Last edited:

Roch

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
No papers or serial numbers available, I'm afraid..I was told by my local dealer that they were early 60's...6 ply, silver paint...all dampers and hardware are present and original by the looks of things..

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right pre- 63 pre- 62 I mean

What is the snare drum pictured with set; Like to see details of that Is it a 3 ply? with a one point butt affari or a 6 ply 4157 etc