Anybody keep kits around that they don't ever play?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a hunch....that was coming.. mama mia. hmm

is that a 5 X14 or slimmer... did you ever get an exact measure of it
Oh it's 4 X14 ok... didn't see that) looks like the early Die cast +/- too.

Yea. You have -in total- a prized vintage possession there.
feel bad for ya.

Kidding! lol (altho sometimes they can be anchors around the neck +/-
That is (in total) something like Weather & Wood or Maxwell would advertise on Reverb

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea by that way hides what shell is.
Have to take a top head off and measure down wood up to wood; none the less It's rare. Again You've my sympathy on deciding- if you are- what to do- with it

I don't even want to know what your Ludwig set looks like.
Yes I do. Let's see it. (lol

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea by that way hides what shell is.
Have to take a top head off and measure down wood up to wood; none the less It's rare. Again You've my sympathy on deciding- if you are- what to do- with it
reason: there was a 2008 reissue 125th Anniversary- that looks similar - to your original. And it was (and advertised as) - in Gretsch News Vol. 6 June 2008) 4.5 X14.

+/-

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you ever go to sell it (it or the whole shebang..yea
someone will ask and you'll have the answer +/- ha
use two keys opposite it's twice as fast (by 2)
I think it's 4.5 but not a betting man
I leave that to ales Baldswinn

Last edited:

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pack the reel in. Reverb, something like $3500 plus shipping with Make an offer option. Place the link in the DFO for sale section. Sell it and don’t look back.

T-2

Reaction score
If you don't need to sell it, put it out of sight for a few years (like in cases, bags, in a closet or your attic). You might want to play it in the future.

Roch

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m a collector and hoarder of fine vintage drums and cymbals so to answer your question , yes.
A thing of beauty is a joy forever.
This is where I am leaning..Once it is gone I'd never likely own something like that again..As was said before, the luster of new kits wear off over time and vintage kits always stay unique and beautiful..

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is where I am leaning..Once it is gone I'd never likely own something like that again..As was said before, the luster of new kits wear off over time and vintage kits always stay unique and beautiful..
Not to keep saying the same thing but make sure its love and not infatuation with the new kit. I’m not a gretsch guy, and I prefer bigger drums, and thats still a set I would have a hard time parting with

dingaling

Reaction score
I’m sure one Rolex or one vintage car costs 2-3x more than all of my kits combined. So I’m fine keeping/collecting kits. It’s fun to change up once in a while.
If you don’t have the space, then that’s up to you. I find the space, sometimes in creative ways. I’m also single, I understand a partner may have issues with several kits, so I got all the kits I want before I get married. Lol

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe this thread is meant to be more about the specific drums you're holding, and if so, I can't tell you what to do. But it seems like the idea to list high and see if anyone out there is willing to pay might motivate you to let them go. I have had things like that before, things I didn't necessarily want to sell but would let go of if someone was offering a lot of money.

To answer the title question: I currently have a set of vintage 3 ply Slingerlands sitting and not being played. I had them up for sale and despite some interest and even a bit of drooling, they didn't sell. I am not going to give them away, so I just let the ad fade away and decided I'll keep them for awhile. I am getting ready to do a recording that might suit them well, so we shall see.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see the Ludwig set you mention...just for ? I dunno...