Anybody keep kits around that they don't ever play?

Swissward Flamtacles

Reaction score
It wasn't about these specific drums....It was a general question
It always comes down to specific drums and your situation, though. :) Storage space, how rare/hard to replace, need the money, unique sound or looks, sentimental reasons...?
I own nice stuff that sees little use but I keep it because it will probably come in handy later. Also, I wouldn't make a lot of money selling it and I can easily store it.
I'd also keep the Gretsch for now and decide in a couple of months if there is no rush.

Roch

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah..I agree..I guess part of me looks at it and thinks of the snare drums I could buy with the money...lol...I have been convinced that I should keep it for now...thanks to this thread...sometimes you can get an idea in your head without looking at the big picture..

Swissward Flamtacles

Reaction score
Yeah, it's tempting since you'll probably make 3 to 4k selling them. But as you said, it would be hard to replace, so if there is no financial reason to sell it, take your time. The value won't go down and there are always great snares to be found. :)

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm doing some soul searching about a 60's Round Badge kit I have owned for a couple of years. It is in great shape with matching snare..problem is I just bought a new kit that I will probably leave set up in my drum room as I only have enough room to set one up at a time..so, there it sits in the corner..I'm not one to swap kits out randomly just for the fun of it and I don't want to use it as a gigger.. I guess it's an investment but seems like a shame to just have it there..I could sell it and buy some snare drums that I would probably play a lot more..Or cymbals...I don't want sellers remorse either..

Has anybody had/have this issue?
Roch, to answer your question, I have had this issue. I have 4 kits but only can set up one set at a time. Occasionally, I will set up each of the other kits at different times and play them but generally they are in storage.
On another note, I would keep the 60's Round Badge kit for a while; you can always sell it later if you want to.

healthie1

Reaction score
I hate having complete stuff I won't use. I have a bunch of pearl fiberglass shells I'm planning on wrapping, and I'll be selling my octaplus and I've been trying to sell some vistalites I picked up to flip for a few months. It's much harder to sell stuff in a smaller city. I have lots of parts for tinkering, which I like.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here are three sets I never play... 1967 Slingerland Silver Sparkle, 1970-71 Slingerland Purple Sparkle and my custom painted Pearl kit. The time has come to let them go! Just a lot of work to get them listed and, unfortunately, I'm not up to packing them for shipping. Will be offered locally.

-Mark

Attachments

Last edited:

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nowadaze...and for the last year and a half...there is a bunch of stuff not being used....otherwise if things were “normal” they would be used.....HOWEVER....because I’m able to teach safely at home I rotate kits much more than usual so most will get used. I ain’t selling nuttin....and actually may be buying a friends kit that has been stored here for a bit... Besides there are a number of improvements I’ve made to some of my tools of the trade....which if some folks were looking for nice vintage gear....they would be quite appalled over some of the drills.....and wouldn’t want them anyway......heh heh.....
Cymbals and other metallic objects are a different beast as I have a bunch of stuff that may never be used again....but if I got rid of it/them that’s when they would be “appreciated”.....but I’ve cheated and some have been sampled.....;) and no I’m not selling/licensing samples.....
bt

dingaling

Reaction score
There’s not a lot of vintage gear on the used market right now so on the other hand it could be a good time to sell to maximize profit.
Do a search for your favorite vintage gear right now and you’ll notice how limited the selection is. Many drum stores that used to do a healthy amount of consignment don’t have much right now.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a DW Buddy Rich tribute kit that has been in bags for nearly a decade, and a Gretsch 2020 Special Edition (1 up/2 down) 22/12/14/16+14x6.5 sn that I hated. It sounded great, but I cannot stand 22 inch bass drums for some reason. I immediately put it in bags and purchased the bop (18/12/14+14x5.5 sn) of the same series. I LOVE that kit. So the 24 & 22 inch BD kits will never get played by me. I have a few other kits that get played, but not as often as they deserve. Plus I have a Gretsch Brooklyn Micro kit coming Monday and that will probably be my primary home studio kit while a Yamaha Stage Custom Birch bop kit will be my band rehearsal kit that resides at our pianist's house.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an aversion to gear just sitting around gathering dust . I have found that three kits are my maximum now . 1 for small rooms and rehearsals (Summit Drums), 1 for my Big Band Gigs (Sonor Vintage ) and one for most of my gigs ( Gretsch USA Custom on order).

I have greatly reduced my collection to just drums that I use regularly .

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes .

I have Pearl a Fiberglass disco kit with concert toms from to sea to shining sea ,a 22 13 14 16 Pearl FG kit, and quite an assortment of orphans . Who needs six 16" floor toms ?

Last time I sold off extras I made a solemn oath not to start that nonsense again .

Guess what ? As of this morning I've swollen the ranks of early 70's Sonor Ferro manganese snare drum owners . It's the one with Imperial look alike lugs and baseballbat strainer . Why ? I dunno,probably never will either .

Roch

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ottawa, Ontario...
Dave's..He ships world wide..some good stuff going in and out of there..ya gotta check every day or two 'cut it goes fast

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ottawa, Ontario...
Dave's..He ships world wide..some good stuff going in and out of there..ya gotta check every day or two 'cut it goes fast
Oh, is that DAVE'S .........I have bought many things from there, online. Seems like that place is moving gear all the time. I have even bought a few pre-order snares from him. I need to visit there maybe this summer. My brother lives in Ottawa, so it's easy.