Anybody Own Any Modern Premier Drums?

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We discuss the vintage stuff on a regular basis. But I've personally heard nothing about their new drums. I actually kind of thought they were defunct.

Any experiences with the new stuff?

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve played a few of the reissue Genistas, they’re ok drums but weren’t built to be top line gear like the originals. The last of the U.K. made stuff seemed nice, Vic’s had a Spitfire snare awhile back that I was close to buying. The only new product I see them posting on social media are their marching drums, I have yet to see any new kits or snares.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure about their new drums as they are not really widely available like other brands in the US but Vintage Premiers (60’s/70’s) are my favorite vintage drums and I own a set.
Pics?

drumstuff66

Reaction score
Same here - don't know much about their new drums. I have looked around but haven't found much info. I was looking parts, but no luck. I have a jellybean Artist Birch kit (10, 14, 18 ) and two matching orphan Artist Maple toms (12 & 13). I think the British Made Artist Series (Not the "Hand Made..." imports) are great drums and tend to be underrated.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My forever kit!
15166670-D88C-42A4-B187-0DB2D1847123.jpeg

From modern ones, I know genistas, artists, and Insignias are all very very nice sounding drums, and their most recent top of the line kits with the “Premier” script badge are top notch kits, Oasis drummer Chris Sharrock plays them.
653DE280-5A07-4B0C-B785-243066098B8D.jpeg

Last edited:

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 maple kit that has been on loads pf polka, jazz, classic rock gigs, weddings, and parties. I think this line preceded the elite series? They have the script badge. Regardless, i would put them up to any top line from any company today. They are my current practice kit since the world shut-down. I look forward to the day of forming a swing quartet and bring these babies out again.
3AD248E9-A0A0-4C64-81CE-E0A02AC3BA63.jpeg

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 maple kit that has been on loads pf polka, jazz, classic rock gigs, weddings, and parties. I think this line preceded the elite series? They have the script badge. Regardless, i would put them up to any top line from any company today. They are my current practice kit since the world shut-down. I look forward to the day of forming a swing quartet and bring these babies out again. View attachment 445641
Is that a 18” bass? You do classic rock gigs with an 18” bass drum? How does it work for you, you get a good Bass sound for classic rock?

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is that a 18” bass? You do classic rock gigs with an 18” bass drum? How does it work for you, you get a good Bass sound for classic rock?
yes, it is an 18”, but 16” depth. The size works fine as the venues I had gigs at were small. I am talking 2 feet from tables of people eating and the bar about 8 feet behind. Low volume playing is vital in those venues, so an 18” bd sounds great in that setting.

Last edited:

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one of those inexpensive Genista birch kits that I bought new in 2013. It’s in Florida that I use when my band from the 60’s have reunions. It’s a nice little kit, especially for $500.
7E5264FB-B12D-46FE-86F7-526BDC998963.png

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have one of those inexpensive Genista birch kits that I bought new in 2013. It’s in Florida that I use when my band from the 60’s have reunions. It’s a nice little kit, especially for $500. View attachment 445656
I have played one of those kits in maroon finish, I really liked the sound of it, and at that price it is definitely a good choice.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I have a 2003 maple kit that has been on loads pf polka, jazz, classic rock gigs, weddings, and parties. I think this line preceded the elite series? They have the script badge. Regardless, i would put them up to any top line from any company today. They are my current practice kit since the world shut-down. I look forward to the day of forming a swing quartet and bring these babies out again.
View attachment 445641
The Elite series superseded a series that was simply known as "Premier".
It used a very thin Maple shell. 4 ply / 4mm, I believe.
I'm sure the drum sounds lovely, but I just can't get past those lugs.
In my mind, it would've been nicer if they just settled on the XPK lug or the modern version of the old high tension lug.

Elvis

Last edited:

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Elite series superseded a series that was simply known as "Premier".
It used a very thin Maple shell. 4 ply / 4mm, I believe.
I'm sure the drum sounds lovely, but I just can't get past those lugs.
In my mind, it would've been nicer if they just settled on the XPK lug or the modern version of the old high tension lug.

Elvis
Thanks Elvis.

I am not sure what the ply/mm is, but they sound killer. I can see XPK lugs on them to, but don't have a problem with the lugs that are on there. I have to say that the lugs are the weakest link though.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
My Blaze Sparkle Genista Birch reissue looks and sounds amazing despite the lacquer finish being prone to tiny spiderweb cracking if something bumps into it hard enough. Therefore I haven't gigged on them too much, I have other sets for that, but these Genistas are an absolute joy to play and the matching snare is among my all-time faves.

22, 10, 12, 14, 16 + 6x14

premiergenistabirch.jpg
Premier Genista Full setup.jpg
GENISTA.JPG

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Nice kit, Gretschdrummer.
When was this kit made, late 80's?

gretschdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No

about 5 years ago

given to a dealer in Missouri on
Consignment
But then premier stopped distributing in America I believe?

then it became orphaned in America so to speak and I bought it

All the hardware and lugs are premier genista and stamps in shell are
But no badges for whatever reason

made in England as supposedly as a try out for a new vintage mahogany line

but then premier crashed and it was abandoned in America

so
So it’s one of a kind for whatever that’s worth

sounds great especially the kick

very low boomy toms and bass drum