anybody own 'Steve Gadd' owned and played stuff?

roundbadgedude

DFO Master
Reaction score
anybody own 'Steve Gadd' owned and played stuff?

just asking cuz i love Steve, he's my no. 1

share your pieces if so! thanks

kdgrissom

Reaction score
I bought the LP Mambo cowbell that he used at local drum clinic in Tampa about 30 years ago. He had taped it up pretty good, too.
I had almost forgotten that before you jogged my memory.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Back in the early 80s, Steve had done a show with Al Di Meola in Northern California. I walked into a music store to buy a kit. His black kit from that show was on sale along with a Premier and a North. I walked out with the Premier kit.
I always wondered about that kit. The “what if” thing.
But, after watching the clip of other drummers sitting at Steve’s kit and it sounding horrid under their touch, I figured I had made the correct choice.
At least that’s what I tell myself.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
after watching the clip of other drummers sitting at Steve’s kit and it sounding horrid under their touch, I figured I had made the correct choice.
Would you have a link? Not because of the other drummers, but to get a different idea of his setup/tuning etc.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I always wanted to have one of Hal Blaines snare drums. I would know that at least one hit record was recorded on it.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
anybody own 'Steve Gadd' owned and played stuff
like what would ya have in mind.
let's think being Steve was a Yamaha Endorser since what 1977? what would there be of 'his'..the Pearl white concert toms or the Gretsch sets of pre yamaha days..suspect he has less personal gear than many and just picks up the phone when he needs something somewhere

BigMur

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tommy Wells had a historic Gadd Kit. Not sure what happened to it after Tommy passed. I suspect Gary Forkum would have assisted Tommy’s wife with the sale.

stevesmithfan

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 18" Zildjian K Custom Session Crash that Steve used at a clinic he signed it for me. It wasn't from his collection, Zildjian provided cymbals for him at the clinic.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a Gadd signed Zildjian K Custom Session Crash. I'm not sure if the signature actually adds any value but something cool to have.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
like what would ya have in mind.
let's think being Steve was a Yamaha Endorser since what 1977? what would there be of 'his'..the Pearl white concert toms or the Gretsch sets of pre yamaha days..suspect he has less personal gear than many and just picks up the phone when he needs something somewhere
Going to stand by the above
I don't think- besides those few old Ks he Used to use- he has anything "personal" Know what I mean?..
it's all off the shelf-sometimes that very day - Stuff (.....pun? ; )
what would be an example of something he used that would be unique help me out..

kallen49

Reaction score
I don’t have any “Gadd gear” but I went to a “mission from Gadd” clinic at Humber college Toronto in 2006 (I think),
The music store I worked at was a sponsor so my daughter and I got to sit in the front row for Steve’s sound check. When he sat down at the kit there were nylon tip versions of his signature Vic Firth sticks and he said “what are these? Vic has been busy again” or words to that effect so he was obviously seeing them for the first time. We had been selling them in the store for a while.
Later he started the clinic singing by singing “Bye bye blackbird” very quietly and played along with brushes.
Also a remember everybody clapping along to his instruction while he started a solo,
what a great musician so glad my kid got to experience him.

Rik_Everglade

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wish that there was an interest with Prairie Prince used gear. Most of my drums and cymbals have been used by him. He's near town relatively frequently, Fredonia/Arkwright, he jams with the people that I jam with at three different houses, and uses my gear when I'm not there. And I've never met the guy! lol

Latest posts