Anybody Play Super Cheap Drums?

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've got a Sound Percussion 12/15/20, with a 5x13" snare, that I picked up for $80 a few years ago. It was my only actual kit for some time, and it fit the bill well! I used it with good success for a few situations. After removing the satanic and otherwise crude stickers from the reso head (didn't want to spend on heads at that price until I found some deals later on), I'm still reticent to part with it, as the shells are very well crafted, with decent hardware. The 15" floor tom has six lugs, which barely works.

The cheap kick pedal had surgical tubing replacing a broken spring. I replaced the spring and it works fine.
I may try this idea in its own right with one of my lighter strap pedals. Irv Cottler went so far as to replace his springs with thick red rubber bands, I understand, and this seems to take that idea one dimension further.

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
I got these for a song... first model MIJ 80's Tama Rockstars. They sounded fine, but I did the edges and experimented with various heads, and they tune up easily and sound great.

Tama fun.jpg

Tama Rockstar  kit.JPG

Tama Rockstar kit.JPG

Last edited:

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I play a Sonor Force 1000 kit with my metal band. I got a 5pc kit with a 6" black beauty cowbell, Rhythm Tec drumset tambourine, hi-hat, snare, and cymbal stands, and a set of 14" Zildjian Flange hats. I paid $100 and sold the hats for $150 about 10 minutes after I loaded everything in my car. Not a "holy grail" type score but I made money on it and those drums sound amazing.

chollyred

Reaction score
I know a guy that gigs an old CB MAXX kit (look at the toms!). I filled in for him one night while he was suddenly called out of town. The band said "We have the drum set covered! You don't have to bring yours!" I STILL have nightmares about that kit! Sounded like wet cardboard! The only thing with any value was a 20" K ride.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a MIJ stencil kit that I paid $100 for from a friend and fixed it all up for my son. I worked the edges and replaced the bass drum spurs with some decent Gibraltar style spurs and then re-wrapped it with Dick Blic Sparkle Brite wrap. I put decent heads on it and it's worked great for him. I used it at an outdoor gig that I was worried about inclement weather and it sounded great miced up through the PA. I got a lot of compliments on it and I just laughed to myself about it. I thought if they only knew how much I paid for this. Even with all the work and Heads I may have a total of $300 into it. It looks great and does the job. All in all I have no issues gigging it when the need arises.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
For oktoberfest/german/polka gigs, i use a 3 piece: 16” pearl forum floortom converted bass drum, export wood snare,export 13” floor tom converted. all 3 cost less than $50 even after rewrapping the 13.

Super easy set-up.View attachment 414108
Maybe we should make this a contest in which the person with the cheapest set wins? At $50, you might well win (and your set doesn't look that bad!).

scottcyp

Reaction score
There’s a great YouTube video on making inexpensive drums sound great. Kenny Sharett or something like that.

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe we should make this a contest in which the person with the cheapest set wins? At $50, you might well win (and your set doesn't look that bad!).
Thanks! The cymbals were all purchased brand new years ago though. I just cant justify bringing a $1,000 snare and kit out anymore.

Latest posts