Anybody send their cymbal to Zildjian for rivet installation?

shnootre

Reaction score
This is really a continuation from my left side ride thread, but it's a tiny bit OT for that, I guess.

I was gathering info on how to add rivets to my cymbal (lots of helpful threads on this site), when I found this on the Zildjian FAQ

We recommend that you send your cymbals directly to us for rivet installation. We have special equipment, designed for placing holes in cymbals, which is much safer than any other hole punching process. Just call our Customer Service Department @ 781-871-2200, tell them how many rivets and where you would like them and they will issue you a Return Authorization Number (RA#), so you can send us your cymbal. We'll take care of the rivets but will need to charge ten dollars ($10) per cymbal to a credit card to cover shipping and handling fees. We recommend 2 different patterns of rivets to choose from. A "cluster", which is 3 rivets 1 1/2 inches from the edge and 1 inch apart or the "traditiona"l fashion, which are 6 equally spaced rivets 1 1/2 inches from the edge. We will also accommodate a custom pattern if possible.
As someone who's kind of nervous about drilling into my own very expensive cymbal, this seems almost too good to be true. $10 total? (plus whatever it costs to ship there). I leave only a couple of hours away from the factory actually...so maybe I'll check it out. But aside from the obvious inconvenience of being without the cymbal for a little bit, is there any reason not to do this? (Assuming I do want the rivets, of course)

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Really the only "special tool" needed would be a drill press and a fresh, sharp bit. It helps if you have have someone experienced running the drill as well.

TPC

Reaction score
I'm no expert and I've drilled dozens of cymbals. Get a new bit designed for drilling hard metals, turn the cymbal over, place it firmly on a piece of 2x4, hold it tight, and drill away. It really is no harder or more complicated than that.

Tracktuary

Reaction score
I'm no expert and I've drilled dozens of cymbals. Get a new bit designed for drilling hard metals, turn the cymbal over, place it firmly on a piece of 2x4, hold it tight, and drill away. It really is no harder or more complicated than that.
You also are phenomenal at drilling out cracks on Old Ks.

Reactions: JDA

kdgrissom

Reaction score
If you have long hair, it's important that you lean way in as you use the drill press.......NOT!
Sorry, I couldn't help remembering the horror stories my metal shop teacher would tell us in 7th grade.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
actually this thread reminded me I sent a cymbal back to Sabian for a repair...and they lost and replaced it (it was an el rayo)

Tracktuary

Reaction score
Haha Pete.

How's that 22 treating you?
'Tis lovely. You'll be happy to know that I've been using (low-pitched) hickory sticks on it quite frequently, which are drawing some more lows out of that beast.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Like many, I've drilled for 40 plus years my own. rarely made an error. First time was to stop a crack on a bottom hi hat. Still have the cymbal. The hole is still there. Crack hasn't budged since '73/ I've Drilled for jazz rivets numerous times. Sad to have to send one off to be drilled.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
This is really a continuation from my left side ride thread, but it's a tiny bit OT for that, I guess.

I was gathering info on how to add rivets to my cymbal (lots of helpful threads on this site), when I found this on the Zildjian FAQ

As someone who's kind of nervous about drilling into my own very expensive cymbal, this seems almost too good to be true. $10 total? (plus whatever it costs to ship there). I leave only a couple of hours away from the factory actually...so maybe I'll check it out. But aside from the obvious inconvenience of being without the cymbal for a little bit, is there any reason not to do this? (Assuming I do want the rivets, of course)
Maybe getting an appointment takes time.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Really the only "special tool" needed would be a drill press and a fresh, sharp bit. It helps if you have have someone experienced running the drill as well.
Zildjian do have a special tool for doing the flaring of the tubular steel rivets they use.

factory-flared-rivets.png

although there are DIY ways of flaring them as well

rivet-flare-diy.png

If you want split rivets then that's another story.

shnootre

Reaction score
I’ll call them tmrw and see what the wait is like. Despite everyone’s comments, I still feel like when the pros are willing to do it for free, it might be the smart way to go. Also, if I decide I want to sell this thing at some point, wouldn’t there be at least a little extra cache in saying the rivets were factory-installed by Zildjian?

Latest posts