Anybody try out the HHX Complex series?

febtiger

Reaction score
I've really enjoyed how these have sound online, most of my local stores don't have them in yet. I think they sound pretty great, but all of my cymbals have multiple holes in them now and these don't... maybe I'll finally own cymbals without a bunch of holes again. I really like that 19" crash in particular

febtiger

Reaction score
I did.
I picked up 17,18,19 crashes.
Sent them all back.
There is a shrillness to them that is unpleasant.
They quit way too soon ... they do not have a complete crash.
Again, I have no in person experience but I thought they were a little bit darker in sound... sad to hear they are shrill.
What cymbals would you recommend instead of these?

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They are dark.
The shrillness is that metallic din that sometimes comes through with Sabian cymbals. I do not prefer it. Some do not have it.
But more importantly, they quit way too soon.
The thinness of the cymbal does not allow it to act like a crash ... it is more like a pop.
But these are all unique cymbals.
Your selection might be better.

The more recent HH cymbals are not like their older HH cymbals.
They do not express themselves well at all.
Stick hits it ... it gives a bit of an incomplete metallic sound and then dies almost immediately.
I do not prefer the “new” hammering of the cymbals.
More is usually better ... but it is not better in this case.

Last edited:

Soulfinger

Reaction score
Funny - I have the complete opposite experience.

After all the commotion about the new logo I figured I´d give Sabian one more try and ordered the HHX Complex Performance set a week ago. 15"/19"/22".
I have to say I´m blown away by these cymbals. They have a rich, lush, warm and, erm, complex sound that really speaks to me. None of that "metallic din" mentioned above (which I too have experiencend in Sabians recently, especially the "Remastered HH" series).
Gotta admit I was expecting to not like them and send them back but these are here to stay. Maybe a question of approach - I play jazz, with a light tough and Vater Manhattan sticks, and I can see how a bigger stick might bring out different, maybe less pleasant frequencies. For low volume playing, these cymbals are amazing IMHO.
Still think the new logo is awful BTW but since I can´t see it when playing I can deal with it. :)

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Again, I have no in person experience but I thought they were a little bit darker in sound... sad to hear they are shrill.
What cymbals would you recommend instead of these?
Words and meaning are a funny thing. For me, metallic din more closely describes certain Paiste models, or a bad Zildjian Medium 18" crash. But that's me.

I asked about this line of cymbals a few months ago. The sound files that I heard on line are fantastic, just what I'd be looking for. Big, dark, thin, wide, wooooshh. But I've learned not to trust sound files :) At all, ever.

So I was just in NYC before all the virus drama and heard a few crashes at Sam's Ass on W.34th St. Here's MY opinion for MY needs. The smaller crashes sounded better 17, 18. The 19 was ok, and the 20 was too dark at that size to really be a crash for me, just too far under the music to be heard that way. Of course, these are 1 example of each.

NOW......I will agree with the other poster tho who said they die too quickly. It is not a full sound, the way Zildjian sweet crashes are not really a full broad sound. Again, I agree with that, But companies are also designing cymbals for a current trend of player. That much I am sure of..

Let me add this. I just did a show at the Hamilton in DC, backlined by Drums LTD with some big Sabian crashes that were freaking GREAT. Me and the other drummer on the show were both in heaven. I think it was a 19 AAX X plosion thin, and maybe 20 Evolution crash. Just really good examples of these.

In closing, I think for this kind of cymbal, big , really thin, kind of dark, maybe hammered. Sabian has got this DOWN, way better than anyone else. And I'm primarily a Paiste player these days. But If I could find a set of these that I loved ? No hesitation...

Last edited:

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'd love to try some! Everybody has their thing. Personally, apart from one 14" paper thin A crash all my crashes are Sabians, either Evolution, Legacy or select SR2s. I could easily see these HHX Complex's playing nicely with my present cymbals. I find Paistes to be "shrill" in general and pretty well any medium weight Zildjian or above to be useless to me, unless it's a ride. If a crash doesn't open up and sing at the tiniest tap of a finger then it's just a ride wannabe (IMHO).

Paragons on the hand...never got them & never had the need for a viking battle shield.

ncdrumr

Reaction score
I bought a 22" HHX Complex medium ride, without even hearing it (I don't usually buy cymbals without playing them). I listened to a ton of YT clips of them. Wear headphones.

Verdict: I really like this ride. It's slightly lower volume, dark but not nasty, and it has a nice balance of stick sound and wash. Really nice shoulder crash. The bell is nice, but a bit subtler and less separated from the overall sound of the cymbal as with most rides. I'm keepin' it. :)

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been contemplating adding one of these to a set of Mixed HHX's I have .... I like thinner crashes that respond quickly to a light touch, but don't fail if you hit them harder .... I'm going to have to take a serious look at the 18 in this series.

febtiger

Reaction score
Just drove out to Donn Bennett in Bellevue, WA and tried them out - all of the local Guitar Center were out of stock! American Music didn't have them either.

I really enjoyed the sound of them, I'd say they are all on the warmer, darker side with shorter decay. Did not hear shrillness at all. I can't wait for them to make o-zones out of the crashes (if they do). I'd probably pick up a set then. The small crashes sound like big crashes, and the big crashes sound like washy ride cymbals. I love that they went with Medium weight for the 15" hats and the 22" ride. They are darker but seem to cut enough.

Definitely very modern sounding cymbals though. Can't imagine they are meant to target the same sort of players that are looking for Kerope, Constantinople, Byzance Jazz, Mehmet Turk, etc. but more of the modern/progressive player looking for a darker tone. By comparison, they don't seem to be as loud as the HHX Evolutions in the store but louder than the HHX Legacy. These are just subjective comparisons :)

Latest posts