Anyone A/B compared Copperphonic with Starphonic Copper?

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Has anyone here had the luxury/opportunity to directly side-by-side compare the Tama Starphonic Copper (7”) with the Ludwig Copperphonic in 6.5”?

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have. My friend has the Copperphonic and we set them up side by side.

The Ludwig is brighter and livelier while the Starphonic is darker, a bit drier and overall mellower sounding.

Freewill3

Reaction score
I've had the same question in my mind. I have next week off work and last I checked, Vic's in Chicago had both in stock. If I get over there I'll be happy to report back!

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There is one thing about the Starphonic: it´s an incredible studio drum. I´ve already done one session with it and it was no less than amazing; super rich and fat and we had it dialled in in seconds. I have another recording session tomorrow and I´m surely going to bring it. Can´t wait to be honest. It reminds me of the old Ludwig heavy brass drums.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
There is one thing about the Starphonic: it´s an incredible studio drum. I´ve already done one session with it and it was no less than amazing; super rich and fat and we had it dialled in in seconds. I have another recording session tomorrow and I´m surely going to bring it. Can´t wait to be honest. It reminds me of the old Ludwig heavy brass drums.
Side question, I have (and love) the Starphonic bubinga, have you directly compared that with the copper as well?

Freewill3

Reaction score
Hey bongomania! Had a chance to A/B the Starphonic and Copperphonic at Vic's yesterday, they're both excellent drums. To my ears, I found the opposite of what halldorl mentioned - the Copperphonic was drier than the Starphonic. The Copperphonic had the stock Ludwig Weathermaster medium batter and Starphonic had an Evans G1. I had a drum key on hand so I had them tuned pretty much at the same medium tension. (I had one of the employees agree with me on this, too.) A little more ring, a little more depth with the Tama being 7". I was hoping there'd be a clear, stand out winner as I've been looking for a copper snare and I've narrowed it down to these 2 - so much for that! So there's the satin finish on the Tama with their freedom lug design, dual linear strainer and hi-carbon snappy snares (my favorite wires!) then there's the classic Ludwig imperial or tube lugs, choice of polished, raw or hammered finish with the price difference of $150 more. Decisions...

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks for that impression.

As far as the hardware, I _much_ prefer the Starphonic throw and butt, and I like their lugs and wires too.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey bongomania! Had a chance to A/B the Starphonic and Copperphonic at Vic's yesterday, they're both excellent drums. To my ears, I found the opposite of what halldorl mentioned - the Copperphonic was drier than the Starphonic. The Copperphonic had the stock Ludwig Weathermaster medium batter and Starphonic had an Evans G1. I had a drum key on hand so I had them tuned pretty much at the same medium tension. (I had one of the employees agree with me on this, too.) A little more ring, a little more depth with the Tama being 7". I was hoping there'd be a clear, stand out winner as I've been looking for a copper snare and I've narrowed it down to these 2 - so much for that! So there's the satin finish on the Tama with their freedom lug design, dual linear strainer and hi-carbon snappy snares (my favorite wires!) then there's the classic Ludwig imperial or tube lugs, choice of polished, raw or hammered finish with the price difference of $150 more. Decisions...

I am in the exact same position of having to decide between these two drums myself. So I'm dragging this back up to ask which one you choose and why?

Ward

Freewill3

Reaction score
I am in the exact same position of having to decide between these two drums myself. So I'm dragging this back up to ask which one you choose and why?

Ward
Hey Ward! As fate would have it, I picked up a 5 x 14 hammered Copperphonic with Imperial lugs. Drum Center of Portsmouth had a used one for $500 shipped, which is an absolute steal. It just had a little gunk here and there but cleaned up like it was brand new! I put a vintage coated ambassador on it, tuned it mid-low and it is tremendously fat and crisp for a 5". Still think about the Starphonic here and there, great move by Tama to go with copper on that one. If you come across a deal for either, you can't lose!

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I'm on the lookout for both but had not considered the shorter Ludwig... hum...

SpinaDude

Reaction score
The strainer on the Tama Starphonic is top notch. The drum is great if a little ringy. Tama gave me a zer-o ring with it and it dampens it just enough. But when I play at home I put a Fat Snare on it, otherwise it's just too loud for the room. It's got a great dark tone, moodier than the brightness of brass. I tend to shy away from Ludwig. Had a bronze snare in the 80's...hated it. Out of round, internal muffler was falling apart, and the lug nuts were forever popping out. Actually dethreading and falling on the floor as I played. Every time. It was frustrating.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The strainer on the Tama Starphonic is top notch. The drum is great if a little ringy. Tama gave me a zer-o ring with it and it dampens it just enough. But when I play at home I put a Fat Snare on it, otherwise it's just too loud for the room. It's got a great dark tone, moodier than the brightness of brass. I tend to shy away from Ludwig. Had a bronze snare in the 80's...hated it. Out of round, internal muffler was falling apart, and the lug nuts were forever popping out. Actually dethreading and falling on the floor as I played. Every time. It was frustrating.
Interesting, while I have never had these issues with Ludwig's, I know that many have reported the same problems as you described.

I really am undecided at the moment, I am leaning towards the Tama but more so because I already own a Starphonic Aluminum model and I currently have no Ludwig's. On the other hand, maybe that's a good reason to choose Ludwig!

On the Ludwig side I have to admit that I am not a big fan of that mammoth 1990's die cast butt plate but I could always change that out if I bought an older version (I know they have a smaller version on the newer models). I also don't like the short tube lugs and long tension rods of the Ludwig, though I prefer the tube lugs to the imperial castings on the raw copper shells as I think the shell is stunning!

Ah, I should not put this much energy in this decision... I'll just win play the lottery instead and then buy them both!

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Big fan of the Tama. Every time I bring one in the shop, it leaves the shop very quick. Just got another one and took a pic. The sound and the build quality is top notch. Huge fan of the lugs and the throw. Also, for something made in Japan, price point is not too shabby. Anyone wants this one, send me a message ;-)
81889800_2562841014039815_1428887167853133824_n.jpg

SpinaDude

Reaction score
Hey, not to hijack the thread, but this is kind of on topic...that ridge that runs along so many metal snare drums, I think it's called beading...what the hell does it do sonically? Or is that just for aesthetics?

SpinaDude

Reaction score
Interesting, while I have never had these issues with Ludwig's, I know that many have reported the same problems as you described.

I really am undecided at the moment, I am leaning towards the Tama but more so because I already own a Starphonic Aluminum model and I currently have no Ludwig's. On the other hand, maybe that's a good reason to choose Ludwig!

On the Ludwig side I have to admit that I am not a big fan of that mammoth 1990's die cast butt plate but I could always change that out if I bought an older version (I know they have a smaller version on the newer models). I also don't like the short tube lugs and long tension rods of the Ludwig, though I prefer the tube lugs to the imperial castings on the raw copper shells as I think the shell is stunning!

Ah, I should not put this much energy in this decision... I'll just win play the lottery instead and then buy them both!
I've only been playing Tama a short time, but their build quality and sound are phenomenal. In the past year I've had a chance to mess with a lot of kits and snares, and from what I've seen Tama and Yamaha are absolutely top flight. DW makes beautiful drums, but I have yet to hear a kit I'm in love with (although I was floored by their knurled nickel over steel snare). I find a lot of their hardware to be over-engineered and bulky as well. All opinion, and not exactly the most well informed one at that, but I just wanted to share.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey, not to hijack the thread, but this is kind of on topic...that ridge that runs along so many metal snare drums, I think it's called beading...what the hell does it do sonically? Or is that just for aesthetics?
I’ve seen claims that it raises the pitch. Theoretically it should help keep thin shells from denting or going out of round, but I’ve had beaded shells that were dented and out of round.

Latest posts