Anyone Actually Play an Old A Zildjian Ride?

Old Drummer

Reaction score
Here's one. This has a large bell and higher curvature, so there's quite a bit volume. With the right stick/touch you could use it for low volume such as piano trio, too, but I prefer a lighter one, maybe with smaller bell, for this.
https://soundcloud.com/seb234%2Fbig-band-play-along-for-2
Yes, for whoever it was who asked, the cymbal in this sound file sounds to me like it's in the same family as the one I recently acquired.

Cards on the table, I'm not enthralled with the cymbal in this sound file (or probably the one I bought) but I'm not put off by it either. They seem to me to work, with the issue being the tone you want.

A curious feature of the cymbal I acquired is that it really seems to make different sounds depending upon where you strike it. I've heard this advice often, but never had a cymbal that illustrated the validity of the advice as clearly. The "normal" sound seems to come 2-3" from the edge, but if I move up to 5", I get a very different sound.

Unfortunately, the coronavirus prevented me from taking the cymbal (as well as myself) out to my usual weekly club jam session where I could try it in a live performance environment. For me, this is the real cymbal test: How does it work in a band in a club? There's only so much I can gather from a cymbal banging on it at home.

But my sense is that this is kind of an all-volume cymbal in that it can be played quietly, loudly, or in between. I doubt though that it's a good crash in other than high-volume situations. There seems to be too much meat moving too many airwaves.

I wish I knew the weight of the old A. I played for 20+ years, but I never heard about weighing cymbals in those days and never weighed mine. Going from memory and sound, I think my former old A. was a tad heavier, but the two aren't terribly far apart in sound.

Freewill3

Reaction score
There certainly are some undiscovered gems out there to be had for way less than a new cymbal. I picked up this beauty from Drugan's here in Illinois a couple years ago. Although it's not my main ride 100% of the time, I feel a little "time capsule" vibe whenever it comes out.

markkarj

Reaction score
I have what I'm pretty sure is a 1950s A 18" ride. It's sort of an ornery cymbal. I've added a few rivets which give it a bit more colour.

My favorite old A is a 1970s Canadian made model, 20", likely a medium or medium thin. I enjoy its combination of ping, shimmer and dynamic range. And it is crash-able (within limits).

I've recent acquired a similar 1970s A 20", maybe more of a medium. I had six rivets installed in it, and while it doesn't have as nice a crash quality as my other A, it does well as a sizzle ride.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
...They ride great, but not much for crashing. It can be hard to find any below 2800 grams.
...All in, can't beat the prices of an old A.
My 22" '60's ride is 2665g. It crashes pretty good and no, no you cant. I paid $165 for it, at a drum shop. So you can only imagine what they paid for it. It's a 1000 grams lighter than my beast of a '70's 24" A ride, which also crashes pretty well. I’m not an expert, but to my eye, when compared to the 24, the hammering on the 22 is unusual looking.

E1628147-AF19-4BB3-B593-12287CF5B683.jpeg
4F1785D1-7E61-496A-A7C3-809B1909EF8C.jpeg

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
well, I don't technically play "AN" Old A ride . . .

. . .

. . .

View attachment 431145
I do love this shot of A’s in their natural habitat. The mood of the lighting. The wallet. The well worn throne. The slightly-bullseyed Remos. The floor tom pint table. The set list (which I’m trying to read). The mic position. The sticks at the ready
This could be one of my own gigs, or the same for any number of forum members, and it gives me a joyful feeling seeing it.

Thank you for posting it and making my day on this eve of impending weeks of sheltering in place and three canceled gigs.
CC

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
;
I do love this shot of A’s in their natural habitat. The mood of the lighting. The wallet. The well worn throne. The slightly-bullseyed Remos. The floor tom pint table. The set list (which I’m trying to read). The mic position. The sticks at the ready
This could be one of my own gigs, or the same for any number of forum members, and it gives me a joyful feeling seeing it.

Thank you for posting it and making my day on this eve of impending weeks of sheltering in place and three canceled gigs.
CC
Screenshot_20200316-203535.png

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
...oh and with the close up I can see the little tape tent dampeners on the floor tom! And that your phone battery might die before the end of the gig....
The pic is from a couple weeks ago, battery level is from taking a screenshot of the original full rez picture zoomed in. I was busy snuggling my toddler to sleep

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
I play a late 40's-early 50's Zildjian Trans Stamp Type 2 18" at 1370 g with a large 5.5" bell on my right as a ride and a late 50's Zildjian Small Stamp 20" with a weight of 2158 g as a crash.

Attachments

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I've been using my 60's 20" A ride for almost 20 years now. Nice bell, wash, and crash depending on where/how it's played. It just sits right with my 50's and 60's 18" A's. They're all versatile for the range of music we play too.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
My old A cymbal life just got more complicated with the arrival today of a 60s' 22" that was re-lathed, hammered, and slightly repaired by Jesse Simpson.

I'm wondering if the seller is a forum member, and if so, why he sold it (for less than Jesse charges for modifications).

To my ears, the modification of the cymbal made it better than the standard old A (and better than the 20" A I recently acquired) but the cymbal still retains something of the old A sound.

I'm actually excited by the cymbal. It does seem to move a lot of air and veers toward the washy jazz sound, a combination that seems to me to make it best suited to big band playing, but I would think that this combination would also work well for amplified blues and several other genres.

Alas, it may be a long time before I can test it in a performance environment. The coronavirus has made me a shut-in.

Sammybear

Reaction score
There certainly are some undiscovered gems out there to be had for way less than a new cymbal. I picked up this beauty from Drugan's here in Illinois a couple years ago. Although it's not my main ride 100% of the time, I feel a little "time capsule" vibe whenever it comes out.

Sweet!

Sammybear

Reaction score
Might have to just dive into the old A's one of these days from what I'm hearing. Possibly a 60's or 70's A, small, large or Trans stamp(?), perhaps in the 2,000-2,100g weight range, warm with woody clear stick definition, nice wash and crashable in a $150 price range.

Zildjian has the Joe Morello reissue, but the original sounds much better to my ears. Maybe in time the reissue will age in the same way.

EddieW

Reaction score
I still use the first 22" stamped Zildjian ride I ever bought. It's a 40/50s model. I've had it since 78. I can play any style of music on it. It has excellent reverberation and the resonance does not accumulate as you ride the edge. The bell is excellent, still cuts through without mic. I've never found a newer model that is as versatile - I have tried - I am thinking I found my 'one' a long time ago!

bob meyer

Reaction score
Although I have 2 sets of Old Stamp Ks, I also have 2 sets on Trans Stamp As...20s, 18s, with some 16s and 14-15" hats.
Nothing is like the Old Stamp Ks, but the Trans Stamp As have a shimmer and glassy over dark quality that's all their own. They are also louder and in a sense easier play.

Reactions: egw

bcrain

Reaction score
Yep- I play sometimes play a 1960s 22" A. No ping and plenty of wash for a 22. Also looking to sell or trade to fund other purchases.

Attachments

Latest posts