Anyone Actually Play an Old A Zildjian Ride?

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
After decades being without, I finally bought a 20" early 1960s A. Zildjian ride weighing in at 2063 grams. When I put it on the stand and hit a few different licks, I found myself thinking that "there's nothing wrong with this cymbal" and "sure I could use it." Is it my favorite? No.
I think that kind of "nails" the A.
Its not the finest cymbal anyone's ever played, but it is good enough to work for just about any situation.
A good solid workhorse cymbal line.
We had a nice older 20" A. Ride at the local music store back when I worked there. I should've snagged it but it went to someone else.

Elvis

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
BTW, the rig I posted above is ALL old As.
The Hats are a thin 15" Small Stamp top over a Trans Stamp (very heavy, probably a marching cymbal, I have two of them one at 1300g and one at 1400g - they sound great together, but a bit overpowering sometimes).
"LSR" is 20" Block Stamp, at about 2200g, plays thinner than that IMO, high pitched, but in a shimmery way, with an almost "true crash cymbal" crash.
Main ride is a 22" Block Stamp (can't remember the weight).
Far right is a small stamp 20" with rivets. also at about 2200g, plays a bit clangier than the other one, but still crashable, a classic 60s rock and roll ride sound really.

Browny

Reaction score
I think that kind of "nails" the A.
Its not the finest cymbal anyone's ever played, but it is good enough to work for just about any situation.
A good solid workhorse cymbal line.
We had a nice older 20" A. Ride at the local music store back when I worked there. I should've snagged it but it went to someone else.

Elvis
Not sure I'd go as far as your' not the finest' comment. I mean, I really like the old A sound.

I think a better way of putting it, is 'vanilla'. There's nothing exotic or particularly exciting, it's simple and pure and fantastic in it's own right, while also pretty much never being inappropriate and never going out of style.

(Old) A's are to cymbals what Supras/Acros are to snares. Pretty much regardless of situation, they sound great, they work. Obviously there's some caveats there, more to do with particular cymbal size/weight, don't bring your 18" Ping ride to that chilled out folky gig (and maybe on that supra don't run a low tuned aquarian triple ply head with a bunch of tape of it for your bebop gig), but the cymbal series in general, especially the thin to medium weights, can pretty much do anything.

SKINZ

Reaction score
2O OLD A with hammer marks 6 rivets Rides N Crassssssssshesssssssssssssss:cool:

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Not sure I'd go as far as your' not the finest' comment. I mean, I really like the old A sound.

I think a better way of putting it, is 'vanilla'. There's nothing exotic or particularly exciting, it's simple and pure and fantastic in it's own right, while also pretty much never being inappropriate and never going out of style.

(Old) A's are to cymbals what Supras/Acros are to snares. Pretty much regardless of situation, they sound great, they work. Obviously there's some caveats there, more to do with particular cymbal size/weight, don't bring your 18" Ping ride to that chilled out folky gig (and maybe on that supra don't run a low tuned aquarian triple ply head with a bunch of tape of it for your bebop gig), but the cymbal series in general, especially the thin to medium weights, can pretty much do anything.
Sorry Browny, I was speaking generally.
Of course, there are always particular examples that stand heads and shoulders above the rest.
That A we had at the music store was a pretty nice cymbal.

Elvis

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
We talked about that "vanilla" aspect before, maybe on cymbalholic. I like vanilla as a taste, as long as it's not the only falvour there is. (I don't like vanilla perfume). These days, A's are a choice - there was a time when they were the only pro cymbals available in many places.
And people like different aspects of the A sound, two drummers would pick different ones as their favorites and have no use for others.

rogers

Reaction score
After decades being without, I finally bought a 20" early 1960s A. Zildjian ride weighing in at 2063 grams. When I put it on the stand and hit a few different licks, I found myself thinking that "there's nothing wrong with this cymbal" and "sure I could use it." Is it my favorite? No. But then again I haven't found THE ONE yet, and when I compared it with the Agop I've tentatively settled on, I couldn't swear that either is better than the other. They're different, but I can't say that one is better than the other.

Anyway, I've often read advice to those searching for cymbals to just get an old A., and if the truth be told, I've probably dispensed that advice a few times myself. However, now I'm wondering if anyone actually follows their own advice. Do any of you voluntarily choose to play an old A. ride? If so, what are you getting out of it that causes you to prefer it over the zillions of newer cymbals?
I don’t think a cymbal is better than another Unless it is a really crappy symbol. I think symbols sound different than the other and if that’s the sound you like then that’s the better symbol. Just my thought. Phil

deegeebee

Reaction score
I recently got my first really great vintage A, and I am pretty sure I am hooked. Have had a few OK 70s As before as well as some modern recreations like Armand and A Zildjian & Cie Vintage (particularly fond of these), but this one is the first time I really "get it".

This one is a 22" 50s block stamp, 2455 g, that is equal part sweet wash, clicky stick and dark nasty 'tang'. Very complex.

Now to find it some friends. Have some 70s new beats that are really nice but a bit too thin to be broadly useful (670/970g) and various nice modern 20 and 22" As and Ks, but nothing that quite 'goes' with this new odity. Best mates from what I currently have ate 15" Kerope hats and a particularly nice 20" K Conn MTL, bur hard to imagine not getting a few more 50s As some time soon.

jsp210

Reaction score
but this one is the first time I really "get it".

This one is a 22" 50s block stamp, 2455 g, that is equal part sweet wash, clicky stick and dark nasty 'tang'. Very complex.
That is on the lighter end of the 22" block stamp weight range I'm guessing but know it must be amazing. Mine is 2650 and love it. Congrats!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
yea looks like a 17 or 16 on the left
..which would be what Levon used. hmm.
See Ringo get that side snare in when the Jamaican girls are singing..
4:36

Old Drummer

Reaction score
yea looks like a 17 or 16 on the left
..which would be what Levon used. hmm.
See Ringo get that side snare in when the Jamaican girls are singing..
4:36
I was thinking an 18 on the left with 14 hats, but it's hard to tell from snippets. Levon's I understand was small, maybe 16. Yeah, Ringo with a side snare is weird. I gather he's staying abreast of trends. His left side cymbal crashes well, although you never know how much influence the engineer had. I love the tape residue on the left side cymbal, though. This is a real drummer.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'll make a sorta-bold statement here: ALL AZ rides are good. To qualify a generalization with another generalization, though, The older, the better.