Anyone buy Hi Hats from Matt Nolan or Craig Lauritsen?

billcosby_sweater

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have been on the hunt for some new 14 inch hi hats and have been looking at the custom cymbal makers like Funch, Matt Nolan and Craig. I was originally going to buy the Funch's but they're a little too pricy. Has anyone had experience with these other makers if so how are their cymbals? Thanks!

billcosby_sweater

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have been on the hunt for some new 14 inch hi hats and have been looking at the custom cymbal makers like Funch, Matt Nolan and Craig. I was originally going to buy the Funch's but they're a little too pricy. Has anyone had experience with these other makers if so how are their cymbals? Thanks!

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have several Nolan cymbals and I consider him to be one of, if not the best cymbal maker on the planet. I don't have any of his hihats, but I have listened to a handful of pairs, and I think his hats are among his best work. If I were in the market for new hats, I'd talk to Matt.

Redfern

Reaction score
Nicky Moon and Mike Mongiello craft superbe instruments as well, right here in the states. Full custom or off the shelf, they’re fantastic.

lotsofgreendrums

Reaction score
I have one of Craig's 20" Kontroversial modified rides and its absolutely astounding. I would love to pick up some of his hats someday! I don't own any of Matt's creations but I'm sure they will be of high quality as well.

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m a big fan of the independents, I have 14” Spizzichino’s, 15” Lauritsens and 15” Bettis. All are great and unique in their own ways, though I have been on the fence about selling my Lauritsens (and a 22”).

If you’re curious to try something new/different in a 14” I’d snap up those Bettis 14s on reverb right now for cheap. They’re not mine, but after recently getting my 15s I am tempted. Of the 3 pairs I have the Bettis are the most unique/distinct of the bunch.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I have one of Craig's 20" Kontroversial modified rides and its absolutely astounding. I would love to pick up some of his hats someday! I don't own any of Matt's creations but I'm sure they will be of high quality as well.
Welcome to Drumforum! Make a thread in the General section to introduce yourself if you like, we only want detailed pictures of all your gear plus your credit card number and a blood sample...lol

billcosby_sweater

Reaction score
I’m a big fan of the independents, I have 14” Spizzichino’s, 15” Lauritsens and 15” Bettis. All are great and unique in their own ways, though I have been on the fence about selling my Lauritsens (and a 22”).

If you’re curious to try something new/different in a 14” I’d snap up those Bettis 14s on reverb right now for cheap. They’re not mine, but after recently getting my 15s I am tempted. Of the 3 pairs I have the Bettis are the most unique/distinct of the bunch.
What's making you want to sell the Lauritsens?

cymbal.wiki

Reaction score
If you are asking more generally than hats I do have a few others.

22" Kontroversial Overhammered 2489g

21" 1937g but I don't have a link to a sound file. :( I should really do a photo shoot and record it.

20" J-mood 1730g (web site says 1739g but it is 1730g)

20" Mini bell Turk (Craig calls this a mini bell but it is really more of a micro bell in size. More like the Sound Creation Mellow Ride and heading towards a flat ride in sonic character)

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a pair from Bettis. Amazing hats. Why have you left him out of the query?

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The usual, just too many cymbals. I spent the last 2 decades building up a few very nice sets of cymbals for various playing scenarios and moods, the Lauristen's were a more recent part of that and are a bit redundant. I also have the itch to start building out the personal studio with some nice recording gear and mics and the like, and that stuff is not cheap. They are wonderful cymbals though.

What's making you want to sell the Lauritsens?

shrek

Reaction score
Craig Lauritsen is a master cymbal maker. I sent him some 90's New Beats - 1080 top / 1400 bottom and he returned them as 950 top / 1200 bottom, heavily hand hammered. Very smooth, dark and sizzley, fantastic sounds! Highly recommended.

Pedal_Pusher

Reaction score
I have some 14" Matt Nolan jazz weight high hats and also one of his ride cymbals. I get them at the Percussive Arts Society conventions (PASIC) in November (except for plague years...). If you get a chance to go to one of the conventions, then you can hear them in person. I recommend going early to his booth and staking your claim. I have had folks think they were old K's (which I also have and can compare favorably) and the local drummers have nicknamed the high hats the "buttah hats". They are the kind of cymbals that sort of play themselves and always blend with any size group. Good luck!

billcosby_sweater

Reaction score
I have some 14" Matt Nolan jazz weight high hats and also one of his ride cymbals. I get them at the Percussive Arts Society conventions (PASIC) in November (except for plague years...). If you get a chance to go to one of the conventions, then you can hear them in person. I recommend going early to his booth and staking your claim. I have had folks think they were old K's (which I also have and can compare favorably) and the local drummers have nicknamed the high hats the "buttah hats". They are the kind of cymbals that sort of play themselves and always blend with any size group. Good luck!
Nice! Got any sound clips I'd be interested to hear them as Matt doesn't have a ton of sound files like Craig does.

Pedal_Pusher

Reaction score
I will take some photos of the Matt Nolan cymbals (forgot that I also have a flat ride) and get out my little Zoom digital recorder and see if I can make some decent sound clips for you. I am new to the recording so it may take a few days, but it is on my (OCD) list of things to do. I tried to identify the ride and found Matt's Facebook page had a lot more information that his website.

billcosby_sweater

Reaction score
I will take some photos of the Matt Nolan cymbals (forgot that I also have a flat ride) and get out my little Zoom digital recorder and see if I can make some decent sound clips for you. I am new to the recording so it may take a few days, but it is on my (OCD) list of things to do. I tried to identify the ride and found Matt's Facebook page had a lot more information that his website.
Feel free to send that video whenever you can! I'm super interested in his rides.

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have two sets of Bettis hats both 14's. A very early mod set that Matt hammered and lathed weight off that have a really nice vintage sound for jazz. On the dark side but with a crisp foot chick. Plus a heavier set from blanks that are perfect for anything. Crisp clear foot chick, excellent open splash sound and great half open slosh and pitch perfect stick with not a weird overtone to be found.