Anyone cut bass drum in half?

rock roll

Reaction score
i got an old pearl blue sparkle kit. The bass drum legs were ripped out. There's just 2 big holes.
I was wondering how hard it is to just cut it in half and move/re-drill the hardware so I would then have a 20" x 10" for small clubs instead of a 20"x14" bass drum.
Also to redo bearing edges.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I have the 14" floor tom and a mounted to to go with the kit.
Thx,for any info , the people in this forum are great.
Thx, Jeff

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are a few guys here who dig the shallow bass drums. Never played shallower than 14”.

Not sure if you’re on the east coast, but Precision drum in NY is great at these kind of mods.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Easy fix for your Pearl bass drum:

1. Use wood glue to attach a plywood patch that is at least 3" larger than the entire hole. Clamp the patch in place with clamps till they dry overnight;

2. Cut a plywood hole patch the EXACT same size as the hole, and wood glue it into place in the holes. Any voids should be filled with wood glue mixed with wood shavings or saw dust. Pack it into place around the circumference of the hole. Use clamps to secure overnight.

3. If you intend to refinish the hole areas, just fill the external voids with activated Bondo and file to shape, then apply your finish of choice.

4. Reinstall the spurs. Or, better yet, replace them with modern fold-back versions.

This works.

GeeDeeEmm

rock roll

Reaction score
Easy fix for your Pearl bass drum:

1. Use wood glue to attach a plywood patch that is at least 3" larger than the entire hole. Clamp the patch in place with clamps till they dry overnight;

2. Cut a plywood hole patch the EXACT same size as the hole, and wood glue it into place in the holes. Any voids should be filled with wood glue mixed with wood shavings or saw dust. Pack it into place around the circumference of the hole. Use clamps to secure overnight.

3. If you intend to refinish the hole areas, just fill the external voids with activated Bondo and file to shape, then apply your finish of choice.

4. Reinstall the spurs. Or, better yet, replace them with modern fold-back versions.

This works.

GeeDeeEmm
Ehx , good info.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used some of the epoxy wood filler on a big hole in a bass drum recently and it worked great. Cutting it in half seems drastic and a pain.

rock roll

Reaction score
There are a few guys here who dig the shallow bass drums. Never played shallower than 14”.

Not sure if you’re on the east coast, but Precision drum in NY is great at these kind of mods.
Thx, I am on the east coast . I will check out their website. If not for this project , then another one.

rock roll

Reaction score

I bought a Vintage nickelodeon 7"x22" wood bass drum a couple years ago figuring the old wood would sound better.it really booms in a quiet room But I have yet to try it out live.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

It's very light.
I'm not sure wether to put another head on the other side. I would have to add some lugs which I have in parts bin.
Maybe I'll start a new thread and see what others think.
I play a lot of small clubs , very little room , so I'm always looking to go smaller on the bass drum, as long as it still sounds good of course.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Seems less expensive and simpler to patch and re-wrap.
No messing with re-rings and new edges...............and you choose the new spurs.
And, yes...............Precision does fantastic work.
Your old set will look brand spankin' new.

rock roll

Reaction score
Thx, everyone . I will fix this one. I have another red sparkle stencil set that maybe I will shorten bass drum.

Latest posts