Anyone does recording and music production at home? (Bedroom studio)

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There are very strong indications that Apple is going to be releasing new MacBooks and iMacs some time before the end of the year that'll be using their new processors. They'll be supporting the Intel chips for a long while, I assume, but I'm going to try to hold out until the next generation and then buy the fastest one I can afford with at least 16 GB of RAM.

It's worth looking at the iMacs if portability isn't all that important to you. Lots of bang for the buck, at least relative to other Apple products.
It will be quite some time before all the software you like to run is ported to the new architecture. This is a big mistake on Apple's part I think. I know they've done this before, but at least that time they were moving to a more powerful CPU. That isn't the case this time, as the advantage of the new architecture is much lower power consumption, not performance.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It will be quite some time before all the software you like to run is ported to the new architecture. This is a big mistake on Apple's part I think. I know they've done this before, but at least that time they were moving to a more powerful CPU. That isn't the case this time, as the advantage of the new architecture is much lower power consumption, not performance.
I'm basically waiting here, cash in hand, for a new machine which will be a dedicated recording computer. Do you think it's a bad idea to wait at this point? I'm doing Logic Pro X and almost nothing else.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm basically waiting here, cash in hand, for a new machine which will be a dedicated recording computer. Do you think it's a bad idea to wait at this point? I'm doing Logic Pro X and almost nothing else.
I would at least wait until we know that Logic Pro X has been ported to the new CPU. What we have now won't run on anything but an Intel CPU. Probably the same for VST and AU plug-ins. I'm also skeptical of ARM CPU performance for these applications until I see some evidence showing they offer comperable performance in the audio space. Chances are it will be fast enough for audio, so the main thing will be the software compatibility.

OK, I read that Apple already had Logic running natively on their chip. But that's just logic.
Honestly, today I would buy the Intel mac, they are even releasing new versions of them near term.

Last edited:

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Asking questions here is great. Ideally you'd be able to visit folks in your area who are already doing what you want to do and observe. If not, there are probably tons of relevant YT videos to check out.

I'd like to reinforce the idea of investing in as much capability as you can afford early on. Things advance, sometimes demanding more of your platform.

Don't forget the backup drives. You don't want to invest a ton of work into a project and lose it because your platform or one drive dies.

If you go Mac, dive into Logic. It's very capable and affordable. Again, when you get stumped, google and You Tube can be your friends. I'm hardly the most computer adept person on the planet, but I've been able to track myself at home, after some pre COVID OJT from a friend, without blowing anything up. The raw tracks sound good and, as I become more aware of how to effectively use EQ, compression and mixing, the finished products sound better.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I use my MacBook Air for recording and it does just fine. I run Logic Pro X, and have been doing recording sessions remotely for the last 4+ months without issue. Honestly I don't know the specs of my MacBook. I just know it works, lol.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use my MacBook Air for recording and it does just fine. I run Logic Pro X, and have been doing recording sessions remotely for the last 4+ months without issue. Honestly I don't know the specs of my MacBook. I just know it works, lol.
If you ever do want to know, go up to the apple menu and the first item is "About This Mac." That'll give you most of the basic info.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What are the specs on your Air? Oh never mind, didn’t read your comment till the end. Go to your Apple menu and click on about this Mac, it will show you.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I will probably do remote collaboration with some bands, so I will need to record my drumming parts and send it to them.
And I will need to do this at home, in the bedroom, so I will need to setup a little capable bedroom studio.

I would also like to be able to record Piano, saxophone, bass, and vocal, and then tie them all together. This is one of the reasons I want a Macbook besides for work, travel and other personal stuff.

So from equipment perspective, what do I need exactly to be able to accomplish this?

and from technical perspective, how difficult is it to record music and produce? Do I need to take some classes or something?

Last edited:

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would at least wait until we know that Logic Pro X has been ported to the new CPU. What we have now won't run on anything but an Intel CPU. Probably the same for VST and AU plug-ins. I'm also skeptical of ARM CPU performance for these applications until I see some evidence showing they offer comperable performance in the audio space. Chances are it will be fast enough for audio, so the main thing will be the software compatibility.

OK, I read that Apple already had Logic running natively on their chip. But that's just logic.
Honestly, today I would buy the Intel mac, they are even releasing new versions of them near term.
I think the whole worrying about ARM thing is very premature - Apple has a pretty great track record where it comes to not obsoleting machines. The average Mac user tends to run their machines far longer than their PC oriented brethren. Apple has stated this transition is going to take years with the Mac OS fully supporting current Intel machines through their life cycle - and Apple is still slated to release new Intel models over the next year.

So as I read this that means MacOS is going to run natively on Intel processors for quite awhile. As ARM Macs are released they will access current software through Rhapsody2 - which will allow Intel based apps run on the ARM machines - until all of that runs it course leaving Macs and Mac software running on ARM machines only.

I just built a new Hackintosh just this month and don't have a concern in the world as to Logic and all of my plug-ins running throughout the useful life of this machine.

So I believe there's a whole computer life cycle to go through (at least) before ARM becomes a viable alternative. Right now, it is no alternative. When it first comes out - it won't be shaken down and all of the 3rd party plug-in may or may not work... and that's likely to be the state of things - everything working fine on Intel based apps - until well into my desire to get my "next" computer.

Anyway - just my opinion (actually not just, tons of folks are saying the same thing online) the ARM transition shouldn't concern anyone buying an Intel based Mac right now. I don't think there was any hardware pre-maturely orphaned with the transition from PowerpC to Intel, from OS9 to OS X or from the recent transition from 32 bit to 64 bit apps - I don't see any reason to think that this tradition will be any different with this transition.

My 2 cents...

dirtcity

Reaction score
I was lucky that the old Presonus Firestudio Tube interface got an update so it even works with Mojave (I don’t use Catalina for several reasons).
This is hilarious to me. A couple months back I decided I was going to get into recording after my guitarist/engineer left his rig at my house when Covid hit.

I'm using a Macbook Pro fro 2012. I installed 16 gigs of Ram and installed a 2TB SSD. I also got a couple of 2 TB external drives. And I'm running Reaper as a DAW. The reason that's so funny is when I rebooted my Mac it gave me the newest OS and of course nothing worked. I ended up downgrading and reformatting the thing 3 or 4 times before I finally settled on High Sierra because I couldn't get half the stuff to work, including his Fire Studio Tube! ha

Anyway, I've really enjoyed digging into this rabbit hole. Warning, it is DEEP. Between my guitarist and myself, we have a really solid little mic closet, he's got a few nicer preamps, and I've been working hard on mic placement and the basics of audio production. I've already got some remote recording clients lined up as we're getting pretty amazing sounds out of my basement with a short ceiling. We're currently doing a set up with about 17 microphones that we can use as many or as few as we want.

One of the best things we did was build our own sound treatment. We built some bass traps, gobos, and sound panels out of high density rockwool and hung them on the walls. I gotta say, it's WAY better than the Auralex stuff (which is overpriced IMO anyway). It's unbelievable how much of a difference it made.

So dig in, enjoy, and get ready to spend a lot of time and money. But it's worth it!

Attachments

Latest posts