header.nohb.html

Anyone else dislike black drums?

Skyrm

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was shopping for my Stage Customs last year I wanted to get them in White. I like the way they look on stage. My wife said "no". She liked the black ones we had seen at Columbus Percussion, and she'd said they would got well with my Summit snare. Who am I to argue with my wife?!?!

YAMMIES and me.JPG

JohnnyVibesAZ

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I attended the Country Music Fest in Nashville, several years ago. A couple drummers had drums in Black Sparkle or Black Glass Glitter. They looked FABULOUS, reflecting all the colors under the stage lights. That made me want to cover my drums in black sparkle, so I ordered from a known dealer. After I covered the drums, they were a huge disappointment. The sparkles were so tiny that the drums looked to be solid black, just looking at them from twenty feet away. I think I was sold a cheap wrap.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was shopping for my Stage Customs last year I wanted to get them in White. I like the way they look on stage. My wife said "no". She liked the black ones we had seen at Columbus Percussion, and she'd said they would got well with my Summit snare. Who am I to argue with my wife?!?!

View attachment 584603

When the wife says "buy drums" you buy drums. :thumbright:

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My first kit was a black wrapped Tama Rockstar. It was fine for its time, but now I'm not too inclined to buy a plain 'ole black kit. However, there are a number of black kits in this thread that are beautiful. The thing about them, though, is that they aren't just a plain black kit. They either have brass hardware, sparkle inlay hoops, inlays in the shells, textured finishes, matte finishes, etc. IMO, plain piano black with chrome hardware is "boring" by comparison. If I were to go back to black it would need to have something else going on to make it stand out.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have as big a bias to Black Marine Pearl or any variant of Oyster Black etc. as you do to black drums. It just does nothing for me aesthetically.

dsop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a large set of Black Nitron Gretsch many years ago. At the end of a week long gig, while tearing down, I noticed that my 8" x 8" tom had a strange look to it. Turns out that there was a stage light positioned very close to that tom, and pointed right at it. After a few days of that, the wrap had lost its sheen.
I guess any color wrap would have been damaged, but I think that Black is more affected by light. Never again.