Anyone else starting to like original condition kits more?

drichardbailey

Reaction score
Well, I haven't posted on a drum forum in like a decade, but we've all got nothing but time; so here it goes.

When I'd be on the hunt for an old ludwig or rogers, I used to dig kits that had be kind of tour-readied. Reedged by a somebody who knew what they were doing, swapping brackets for modern replacements...etc.

The older I get, the more I like old drums, warts and all. That they're hard to play is kind of half the fun. Maybe its a factor of aging. haha

Any body else, or just me? Maybe I just have a better recognition now that they're not supposed to be all things to all people.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not sure, really. Hard to sum up.
Original is cool. Generally pricey, though.

I guess I value sound and functionality over originality in general.
But there are limits. I would never buy an old American drum with newer, Pearl style tom mounts, for example. Stuff like that.

Purity of tone over purity of form.
I like old, worn looking stuff. Lots of character in it. Makes my imagination run wild with the stories it could tell.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. For me, the drums being in original condition (warts and all) is the most important factor when buying a vintage kit. Most of my 10 vintage kits are in original condition, right down to the metal bass drum hoops on two of my 70s SSB Gretsch kits. My black Gretsch kit had those horrible Pearl bass drum and tom mounts when I bought it, so I had Gretsch fill the holes and basically restore it to its original beauty. I even use a lot of vintage 60s/70s Walberg & Auge hardware.

drichardbailey

Reaction score
Yeah, but also by "original condition" I don't mean museum quality. So it's not always a price thing. A kit might have the chrome flaking off the lugs, and thats kind of it's own kind of cool.

I guess I'm specifically thinking about the idea of Patina. I used to get kits and immediately strip them and clean them. Don't think I'll ever do that again.

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to DFO. Love my vintage Ludwigs and Slingerlands (60's and early 70's) no modifications or upgrades just factory original. But then again I'm not a big hitter. Every now and then I have to tweek a wing screw/nut or mounting bracket, nothing major.
Coy in Idaho

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
I’m doing a Watts-ish kit, and using only my gnarliest lugs polished up on it, for a rescued-dive-bar-road-dog kind of vibe.

I’ve also always been fairly resistant to refinishing bass hoops unless absolutely necessary - hard to fake that funkiness, and I was never that good at getting that Ludwig satin finish anyway.

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Since it seems likely that it's my fault that you're posting I'll have to contribute -

I have had a bunch of vintage kits and franken kits over the years, I've never seen any reason to "restore" I clean off obvious dust and grime and replace anything that makes them non-functional and just get going. Like the Gretsches I've shared here a bunch of times, got a legit stop sign basge 20/12/14 for less than the price of a catalinBECAUSE they were ugly. now in this case the actual pigment in the wrap faded from uva exposure, so they can't be restored short of a rewrap, but I wouldn't dream of that. The 20/12/16 Slingerland kit I let go last year had a patch of wrap completely missing and cracks.all around it. I just turned it around so the good part faced the audience and gigged it as it was.
I mean I have meticulous hobbies of my own, so I get people who restore for restoring's sake, but if you're a player with a players kit - play it!

drumfx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, I haven't posted on a drum forum in like a decade, but we've all got nothing but time; so here it goes.

When I'd be on the hunt for an old ludwig or rogers, I used to dig kits that had be kind of tour-readied. Reedged by a somebody who knew what they were doing, swapping brackets for modern replacements...etc.

The older I get, the more I like old drums, warts and all. That they're hard to play is kind of half the fun. Maybe its a factor of aging. haha

Any body else, or just me? Maybe I just have a better recognition now that they're not supposed to be all things to all people.
Don't know what the rest of the people like but modern hardware on old drums makes me roll on the floor and cry. Definitely a deal breaker. Edges and wrap should be original as much as possible.

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't know what the rest of the people like but modern hardware on old drums makes me roll on the floor and cry. Definitely a deal breaker. Edges and wrap should be original as much as possible.
Welp, you're not gonna like this one (the aforementioned faded gretsch!)
I didn't do it, but I love it!

Do I wish it was Yamaha instead of Pearl? Sure. But this does the job in a way that 70s Gretsch hardware just can't!
IMG_20200415_145930_544.jpg
IMG_20200414_172400_136.jpg
IMG_20200331_203947_254.jpg

Last edited:

cinemadrummer2001

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I didn't do it, but I love it! (And the other hole cam be used to put a mic cabld through)
Do I wish it was Yamaha instead of Pearl? Sure. But this does the job in a way that 70s Gretsch hardware just can't! View attachment 437823 View attachment 437824 View attachment 437825
I can say from experience 70’s Gretsch ball mounts are the absolute worst. I see nothing wrong at all with replacing those. And the Pearl mount looks cool!

SKSMITH

Reaction score
I didn't do it, but I love it! (And the other hole cam be used to put a mic cabld through)
Do I wish it was Yamaha instead of Pearl? Sure. But this does the job in a way that 70s Gretsch hardware just can't! View attachment 437823 View attachment 437824 View attachment 437825
I remember a store in Alton, IL (Halpin Music) that would get Gretsch's from the factory with no mounts & install Pearl mounts. That may have been purchased new with a Pearl mount, the arm is obviously newer though.

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I remember a store in Alton, IL (Halpin Music) that would get Gretsch's from the factory with no mounts & install Pearl mounts. That may have been purchased new with a Pearl mount, the arm is obviously newer though.
These look like a pro job for sure. I also like that second hole - the wingscrew is stripped so I can't get a cymbal in it but it's JUST big enough to get the end of an xlr cable through if I want to use the kelly shu and keep the unvented batter at a gig with your average local sound guy.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Are you going to gig with these things or just set up a museum? Older drum kits often mean crappy hardware. It's not 1957 - we do have other options than Walberg and Auge. For most of us, the outhouse is history and I, for one, appreciate indoor plumbing.

lcondo123

Reaction score
Dan! Welcome aboard to the DFO. I follow you over on IG and I've watched your Bailey Method videos. Big fan of your drumming (don't even get me started on Reignwolf..... I can't stop....)

I definitely agree with you in terms of a kit not being "all things to all people." Some kits just have that sound that you can't get unless you've got a 50-year old set of drums that have been gigged, used, and loved.

My favorite thing ever is seeing super worn-in drums. It's a whole thing with guitars to be "relic'd", but that never caught on with modern drummakers. It totally lets the imagination run wild with stories about the drums, I feel kind've humbled sitting behind something like that - like I'm a part of this instrument's history, y'know?

I've been so close to jumping on this kit multiple times. You just can't recreate that look! Over at Wood & Weather Drum Shop.

Luke

digovii

Reaction score
Dan! Welcome aboard to the DFO. I follow you over on IG and I've watched your Bailey Method videos. Big fan of your drumming (don't even get me started on Reignwolf..... I can't stop....)

I definitely agree with you in terms of a kit not being "all things to all people." Some kits just have that sound that you can't get unless you've got a 50-year old set of drums that have been gigged, used, and loved.

My favorite thing ever is seeing super worn-in drums. It's a whole thing with guitars to be "relic'd", but that never caught on with modern drummakers. It totally lets the imagination run wild with stories about the drums, I feel kind've humbled sitting behind something like that - like I'm a part of this instrument's history, y'know?

I've been so close to jumping on this kit multiple times. You just can't recreate that look! Over at Wood & Weather Drum Shop.

Luke

I've almost bought this kit a couple times as well. LOVE the way this guy looks.

SKSMITH

Reaction score
I gig my Big-R Rogers Memriloc kit with new Tama stands.

But I do have my own private, one-kit, never-gig-it, 1979 time-capsule museum.

0-3 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr
Wow! Somebody clicked all the boxes when they ordered that 80N!
Late 70's tube-legged Buddy stands, including the boom stand with counterweight. Even the cymbal snaps.
Very nice set-up you have, if had a beer I toast to it (and you!).

Latest posts