Anyone else using two rides on live gigs?

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Like many of us, I spent a lot of time searching for the "perfect" ride cymbal with just the right balance of stick, crash, and bell. And I've found some great examples, so I'm not asking for recommendations there. But as I've brought various rides to my band rehearsals and gigs, I realized that on some jumping tunes I really want the fast rebound and crisp cut of my fave flat ride, while on dreamy/ballad tunes I really prefer a ride with softer attack and a sustaining low wash. "The best" compromise is still a compromise. So I've set up my kit with two rides. Only took it to one rehearsal so far, but it worked out great there. We'll see how it goes on our next gig. Anyone else going a similar route, outside the studio?

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes.

One on the right, one on the left. The right is usually flat.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Usually a medium-ish 22" on my right, and usually my trusty 20" Paiste Masters Dark Ride on the left.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
Not always two dedicated ride cymbals, but always a main ride and a crash/ride of sorts. Currently I favor a 20" Zildjian K Con Medium Thin Low as my main ride and a A 18" Thin Crash that doubles as a light ride for soft passages. I also frequently use a 20" Crash of Doom (which has a very nice ride sound) on my left with a 21" K Custom Special Dry Ride on the right. Or a 20" Kerope (left) with a 20" K Custom Dry Light Ride. I could go on... :)

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use multiple rides, but only because I don’t use crashes. I find a ride can do most anything a crash can do, especially from audience distance, but not vice versa.

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, always. If not two actual "ride" cymbals then two cymbals that are ride-able. Usually 20 or 22 on right and 18 or 20 on left.

Having two ride tones available does wonders in supporting different sections of songs.

dje31

Reaction score
Back in the day, Bill Bruford often had a regular and flat ride on his right, overlapping, to have a wide variety of tones at his disposal.

Dragonlordapocalypse

Reaction score
Yup, I couldn’t decide if I liked the bright and defined stick sound of my 20” Paiste Sig Full or the low pitched complex and washy 22” zildjian k light ride.

It made the most sense to me to use both. Especially since the K light ride is also terrific crashed. It’s like the perfect crash/ride.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve seen some pros do it, and really, it can make a lot of sense. Of course, it might depend on the situation. Do the washy ride and another more pingy defined ride. Best of both worlds.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For pretty much all my classic R&B style gigs, I always use just two rides... in my case Istanbul Mehmet 20" and 22" 70 Series Nostalgia Rides (paired with a set of 15" Nostalgia Hats). These two can do everything well and give me a nice authentic sound and great feel under the stick.

20170715_182202.jpg

20180317_184442.jpg

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
been thinking of adding my flat to my live setup. it would be on the right if i did.

jmpd_utoronto

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For jazz gigs, for sure. Often three rides actually - usually something 20" that's fairly crashable on the left, a 22" that's got a bit more definition on the right, and then a third wildcard - maybe a sizzle, or a really dry dark ride, or sometimes even a china (a la Jeff Hamilton). For pop gigs, less often, but I have done it occasionally - again, usually one that's a bit more defined, and one that's a little washier.

rock roll

Reaction score
I use a nice ping ride on the right and a sizzle ride on the left.
I originally started using a left ride because of a right shoulder rotator cuff injury. Now I just like have the sizzle there.

Seb77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use a nice ping ride on the right and a sizzle ride on the left.
I originally started using a left ride because of a right shoulder rotator cuff injury. Now I just like have the sizzle there.
I also like the second ride on the left rather than on the far right if I use a crash, it might go to the far right actually. This depends on the kind of gig, though: if I were to play a lot of close hi-hats and crash in between, the crash would go in standard left (or rather front) position.
On the far right, you can also put two cymbals on top of each other, so it's not either/or there, say with a crash and a third ride or china.

james_c_marks

Reaction score
I've been using a 20" Sound Creation Bright Ride and an 18" Sound Creation Dark Ride together on the right side. I like to switch ride sounds to support different sections of the tunes. While not technically opening up like thinner cymbals, both have pleasant crash-like shank sounds from out front and are extremely versitle. On the left I use an 18" crash and 22" swish.

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
Almost all jazz and big band drummers use two rides. I use two 20" medium rides in our big band.

REF

Reaction score
I guess I was influenced by Ginger Baker since I was a kid. I've always had some kind of combo of rides in my set-up. Two, three, even four, like today. Pings, crash rides, sizzles, light rides. Whatever sounded good with the music.

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've always wondered why more drummers don't use two rides. Different pitches for different occasions.

LOTS of use have more than one crash cymbal.

I suppose it might be a "where am I gonna put it?" thing.

Freewill3

Reaction score
Setting up 2 rides was a great experiment for me. Don't think I could ever go back to 1 now. A 20" Kerope and a 20" K Con Renaissance. As a result, I went from 3 crashes to 2, feels very balanced.
IMG_4210.jpg

Latest posts