Anyone else using two rides on live gigs?

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Paiste came out with the Big Beats and they're unclassified cymbals. I can ride on any one of the sizes and they are all good for just that. Even the 18" can be used as a ride and doesnt get overly washy.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes. My gig setup is a 19 crash left as a "ride" and crash, a 22 ride (main ride) and an 18 crash/ride as a "crash".....

At the house, I usually have 2 cymbals - L & R - and both are rides.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
I spent my formative drumming decades (!) using a 20" A. Zildjian on the right and an 18" Paiste 602 on the left. Although my cymbal selection has changed (currently a 20" Agop Traditional on the right and an 18" old A. Zildjian on the left) I find two rides almost essential. When there is an internal change to the song, the ride I think needs to change too.

But choosing the two rides (and limiting yourself to only two) is a vexation. These days there are so many rides to choose from that a drummer who could afford the stands could easily set up a dozen. I go for a conventional, all-purpose main ride on the right and something more brash on the left as a supplement, but even this is a compromise.

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For big band playing I use 3 rides and ride my crash. In general, I like a nice pingy ride as my main and also to use behind the sax solos. I use a flat ride (or closed hats typically) behind the piano, and I like to have a china or swish (or use the 18" med-thin crash) behind trumpets and bones. I like clear cymbals behind the fuzzy horns and fuzzy cymbals behind the clear horns. And for the piano I just have to get quiet.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Easier question to answer would have been " Who Doesn't" use (play) two rides

Buddy, Elvin, Tony

Rick

Reaction score
I use a 20" K Constantinople Light Ride with 3 rivets (by my 12" tom) and a 20" K Custom Dark Ride (by my floor tom). Two very different cymbals that give me different textures for particular songs and/or parts of songs. I can get by with just one ride, but I really love having these two! If I had to limit it to one, I'd probably bring the K Custom Dark as it will work for just about anything.

AustinFitz

Reaction score
I've always liked having 2 rides. Usually a thinner, more crashable ride on my right, and then a much heavier pingy type of ride on my left.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm a minimalist when it comes to shlepping gear, the bag is heavy enough thx. Have a stack in which to choose from, I git r done w one. I spend most of time pile driving my hats anyways

phoster

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I use 2 it’s usually a Medium type ride and a 20” A Custom Flat (with and without a Rattler chain).

I also use an 18” Crash for riding if a washier sound is needed...

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
What snare is that ? What kind of gig ? And how do you have it tuned ? Thanks
The snare is an Oriollo Mangana 45 (4.5" spun manganese steel) with wood hoops that were made by someone local to Vukan. I have it tuned fairly low, so I get a very beefy fat sound, but with much quicker response than a deep-shelled drum tuned that low.

My band plays a mix of funk and jazz, in very small venues. I'm usually not miked, so this snare doesn't get much time out with the band, because it doesn't cut through the mix that well. For that, I have other snares I prefer (right now my fave is a Gretsch USA bronze 5.5 with a wood top hoop). But for miked situations, or playing at home, I love the sound of the Oriollo.