Anyone ever hire someone to transcribe harmony parts?

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
One of my bands have a real important show coming up soon and we want to make sure that we have the harmony parts correct. So I’m thinking of hiring a friend of mine that does transcription. Has anyone ever done this before for your band?

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Or you could run the recorded track through a program like Melodyne and read them on the screen.

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, it can split multi-note clusters into individual pitches. It’s pretty amazing

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah - Melodyne does this thing where it splits the mixed complex audio into sort of pitch lanes - C1, C#1, D1,... B1, C2, C#2... E3, F3, F#3... etc. Then the audio that falls into each lane can be edited - separate from the other lanes (tuned, re-pitched to other lanes, etc).

This doesn't mean that it is going to split out the harmony vocals separately. But whatever notes are sung will show up in the lanes with active audio in them. So a singer might be singing a C4 - and that audio will show up on the C4 lane - but along with it might be some piano, some guitar, some strings, some overtones from a cymbal - basically everything that is playing C4 will still be mixed together on that lane.

All in all - a groundbreaking, extremely powerful tool. Clearly a patented breakthrough, as this DNA Direct Note Access (as they call it) first appeared 10 years ago in Melodyne and to date nobody else has been able to do anything similar.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Dan - I've never hired someone to transcribe for a band project - but for other things... sure. I'm just not that good at it, while others certainly are... and when there is tons of work on a project that needs getting done on a deadline farming out some transcribing has been extremely useful on a number of occasions.

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My band mates figure out their three part harmonies and for the life of me I have no clue how. Hope you find someone.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
One of these days I will learn and start transcribing songs I already hate. So that after doing 200-300 of them I get faster on songs I don't like, then hopefully I won't barf after learning songs I actually loved before the transcribing began.

I say it jokingly, but I had a guitar teacher that said to do that when learning to read. "Treat it like musical toilet paper" he said. Read,play, throw it away. On to something else. (His idea being that you were learning the reading part, not the song.)

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
My band mates figure out their three part harmonies and for the life of me I have no clue how. Hope you find someone.
I have my old band leader working on two songs as we speak. He doesn’t know how much to charge us. I’m thinking $50 as it should equate to a guitar lesson he gives.

Ghostin one

Reaction score
My last band wasted a lot of time trying to figure out some of The Byrds' harmonies (Crosby!)

I found some online that seemed legit for $5, but the band wouldn't go for it.