Anyone ever played/used Eames shells?

varatrodder

Reaction score
I'm contemplating building another kit, and Eames shells have always intrigued me. Has anyone played or built a kit made with them?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard them played outside (like a year ago) by another and they're special/.
extra-ordinary would be another word.

Redfern

Reaction score
Great drums. I mean, solid as a rock and great tone. The long history of the company as well, is a factor. Great customer service from Joe. These are heirloom shells and as such, they're not the lightest. So, if it's for in home use, go for it. If you intend to gig them, frequently, well, start working out.

musicman64

Reaction score
I'm contemplating building another kit, and Eames shells have always intrigued me. Has anyone played or built a kit made with them?
Since 1981, never gonna let them go...special 20, 16,15,14, 14snare ,2x12 { 9 & 5 ply} 10,8...built using George B. Stone machinery

Attachments

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

there's the choices ^

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Buddy had a set,i was thinking of buying them cheaply,the ride was a 12x12! I was going to have it cut down, he did sell them.
They sounded fine,the bass will killer!

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

there's the choices ^

That would be fun to try this set and compare the sound with Gretsch, Slingerland, whatever. Thicker birch shells and the die cast have to give them their own sound.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Danny Gottlieb played a set with Metheny. They were outfitted with Ludwig hardware I believe.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be fun to try this set and compare the sound with Gretsch, Slingerland, whatever.
so you hear a Gretsch set or you play a Gretsch set and you "recognize" the sound say/sense it has a lot of character..ditto for a Slingerland or beech Sonor...
Eames (to me) you don't "recognize" but you "sense" a ton or 2 of character. It's one of the hidden gems. You sense the character.

sounds like a detective novel huh..
they're rich in character
just not the one you can put your finger on
(lol unless you have eames ears of course
which is rare
in a detective
there not many (much of that sound) around.

Yes I remember the Metheny/ Gottleib Eames thing

Last edited:

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had a pair of snares and think I played a kit a few times (the guy who played at my wedding had a kit...and then they played a lot of our friends weddings).

In my early 90s ska band I had a mastersound(?) shell and my band called it the snare drum of death...because even muted it cut thru the other 6 pieces of the band un mic'ed...

I currently have a 14x3 Eames that started life as a free floater shell...great tone and sustain.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be fun to try this set and compare the sound with Gretsch, Slingerland, whatever. Thicker birch shells and the die cast have to give them their own sound.
Eames are shells are built to order with whatever hardware the customer wants, including hoops. They have their own hardware in house if a customer wants to use it, but they probably got it from somewhere else.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Eames 10-13-15-18 are Naturaltone with a Mastertone 22 bass. This combo was suggested by Joe Mac, the original builder after George Stone. The website describes them like this:

Naturaltone
9 ply (3/8") mid-range shell with controlled or centered resonance, round tone and wide tuning range. Ideal for close miking.

Mastertone
12 ply (1/2") heavy shell constructed for power projection and long sustain with low end resonance and volume.

I find the toms have a huge amount of sustain and resonance, and the bass is exactly like that. Except for the 10, the drums have no volume ceiling. The harder you hit them, the louder they go, which is great for a rock gig with no mics.