Anyone ever see a Ludwig Transition badge 12,14,18?

Randy73

Reaction score
Just picked up a 12,14,18BD in original black wrap with Transition badges. I have never seen a "Jazzette" sized kit this early. Unfortunately, the bass has some issues but this is a very cool find.

Attachments

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Can't wait to see some pics. Great find Randy.

Mike

Trev

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What's that painted on the side of the BD? LL or PP? Regardless, I think it spoils an otherwise very nice kit. And on the original wrap as well... tsk tsk...

Randy73

Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly what the letters are but I'm pretty sure I will be able to remove them. I hope!

Trev

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Me too. Good luck! Post some more pics once you've got them off. Such a nice kit...

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Very cool, but I feel that 18" was added much more later and original bass was 20"
Yes but the bass has a transition badge too so it was made at around the same time. well before there were Jazzette sets in the catalog.

swabon

Reaction score
I like the letters on the bass drum.
I would leave them. They are part of the drum's history

Reactions: JDA

Carlos McSnurf

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
K.O. said:
Very cool, but I feel that 18" was added much more later and original bass was 20"
Yes but the bass has a transition badge too so it was made at around the same time. well before there were Jazzette sets in the catalog.
I would agree but it is no problem to swap the badge. I do not look for some "theories" but would like to look in close on that to be sure on anything on that drum

Lugs look like knock offs, maybe it's the picture. And if this is transitional era badge, then why 4 bolts rail console?

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
I letters do not bother me either but the front Ts and claws do.

Randy73

Reaction score
The bass shell is in fact a Transition badge shell. Unfortunately, someone cut it down ( sloppily) to an 18 x 13 at some point. I'm assuming the edge must have been damaged for them to have done this. The lugs, claws and rods are also incorrect and one extra hole per lug has been drilled to mount them. Luckily, the correct lugs do cover the holes. As for the later 4 bolt rail,during this time this kit may have had a hoop mounted Tom bracket and someone may have added the 4 bolt mount out if preference. I plan to clean up the cut edge of the bass and reinstall all of the missing correct parts. Oddly enough, the 12 and 14 are in excellent unmodified condition.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Randy73 said:
The bass shell is in fact a Transition badge shell. Unfortunately, someone cut it down ( sloppily) to an 18 x 13 at some point. I'm assuming the edge must have been damaged for them to have done this. The lugs, claws and rods are also incorrect and one extra hole per lug has been drilled to mount them. Luckily, the correct lugs do cover the holes. As for the later 4 bolt rail,during this time this kit may have had a hoop mounted Tom bracket and someone may have added the 4 bolt mount out if preference. I plan to clean up the cut edge of the bass and reinstall all of the missing correct parts. Oddly enough, the 12 and 14 are in excellent unmodified condition.
The extra holes for the large lugs would indicate that it originally had the small lugs...and having small lugs on a drum that size would likely indicate a former marching drum. Slingerland made 18" tenor drums, I don't know if Ludwig did as well back then but maybe.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Very unusual find.

One could have bought these sizes from the 1960 or 1957 Ludwig catalog and cut down the 18". Here's the 1960s (with prices for amusement):

I'd love to see what the reinforcement rings are like on the 18". I presume they knocked one out and then reinstalled it after cutting down. And are the interiors Mahogany?

Randy73

Reaction score
Just to clarify about the lugs, this originally had large bass drum lugs. Then, someone drilled one extra hole per lug to install the MIJ lugs that are on the shell now. I removed one MIJ lug and found that the page Ludwig lugs fit the old holes perfectly. All three drums have the same exact original black wrap tucked into the scarf joint. I am looking forward to polishing these up and installing correct hdwr. and seeing what they sound like. 12 and 18 have mahogany interiors and the 14 has a beautiful maple interior.

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Flying to airshows across America in a B-29 Superf
Pretty cool... I can't wait to see what they will look like all restored.

Also are you sure it's a 13x18 BD because as you know Jazzette kits are 12x18... so if you do any cutting if possible, I would probably have it recut down to 12"x18" and change the BD hoops to Ludwig style with WMP inlays. .

Q: What type of spurs are on it?

Randy73

Reaction score
It appears that it was an 18 x 14 and has been cut down to 13" deep. It is missing one inch on the reso side comparing the distance between the lug holes and bearing edge from the batter side. I am considering doing just what osahead says and cutting down to the more appropriate 12" deep and reinstalling the rering and a new edge. I need to do some layout first to see how things will work out. It is drilled for disappearing spurs. It is a player drum so my options are open as far as value is concerned. I will definitely keep the original wrap on all drums.

Latest posts