Anyone ever try Glarry or Griffin drums?

MatrixClaw

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just got my daughter a new drumset and she needs a smaller snare to be able to reach everything. I want to get her something in the 10-12" range as that worked great on her last kit, but I also don't want to spend a ton when I don't have much in the rest of the kit. There's a lot of options for "popcorn" snares but most of them are over $100, which is what I paid for the whole kit. The Glarry and Griffin options has caught my eye at their price but it's hard to tell if something's good from product pictures and there's not a whole lot of good reviews out there of them, either (Glarry has a few sponsored ones which don't seem trustworthy and Griffin reviews are nearly nonexistent).

Anyone have experience with either? I'd still prefer to find something used from a reputable brand, but as a last resort, if these are any good, I'd definitely consider one just to get her a working full kit quickly!

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
Griffin is a "budget brand", that if I had to guess is probably made by KHS (parent company of Mapex), since they sort of now occupy the space once held by former "stencil brand" manufacturers like Pearl and Tama.

I can't speak to the quality of Griffin. I believe forum member DanRH once had a Griffin kit. He could probably fill you in on their comparative build and sound quality.

MatrixClaw

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Griffin is a "budget brand", that if I had to guess is probably made by KHS (parent company of Mapex), since they sort of now occupy the space once held by former "stencil brand" manufacturers like Pearl and Tama.

I can't speak to the quality of Griffin. I believe forum member DanRH once had a Griffin kit. He could probably fill you in on their comparative build and sound quality.
Interesting. They look nice in pictures but hard to tell how good the actual hardware is in pictures. There was a comment on one review of a lug being mounted at a slant, too, which doesn't sound good.

Griffin= Stay Away. They are really toys and not musical instruments. The hardware is especially poor. There are other better alternatives.
That's kind of what I expected at that price. I'm going to try setting up her set with one of my 14" snares and see how it works for her, maybe I can push it back far enough on the side to not make her have to sit back so far, I'm mostly concerned the hi-hat will have to go too far over for her to reach the pedal. Now that I've set up the kit with her old 10" snare though, it looks a bit small. I'm thinking a 12 would be ideal but that lessens the "cheap" options even more. 12" is more in "real drum" territory and is more of a specialty size so there's not a whole lot of options on the used market under $100 that I've found...

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought a Glarry 10" snare awhile back; my intention was to use the shell and bottom head/snare assembly as a "snare reso bottom" on a LP Giovanni "Compact Conga" ...... I had discovered quite by accident that a wrapped 10" shell was a snug secure fit up into the inner diameter of the frame conga. Anyway, for $30 I figured the shell might have enough integrity to beat the crappy el cheapo flexy Pearl shell I was using. Here's a pic of that earlier setup:

D73A393F-6C8B-409E-B705-F9221D7D8977.jpeg

And yes ..... the shell (whatever the construction - basswood, poplar, whatever) is pretty solid; the hardware is as you'd suspect ...... crap. So on went the Pearl hoop, Remo snare head, leftover strainer I already had, some Puresound wires. And damn if it doesn't do the job quite well ...... used it today at a porch jam: the "snonga" .............

I would not recommend this as a snare for a drumset ...... at least, not right out of the box. Ya gits what ya pays for, friends .........

Mike

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ahhh...Griffin snare drums! I purchased one on eBay back in 2011, just to see what less than $40 would get me! And that price even included free shipping. And we didn't have to pay tax back then! What LOOKS like an actual snare drum turned out to be nothing but junk! If I paid $40 for it, I wonder what they actually cost to produce! I mean, really, there are still lots of metal parts and the shell, whatever it is made of, still has to go through a resemblance of a manufacturing process! The cheap heads probably cost less than a dollar!

I received the drum with a bent strainer. However, the seller actually sent me another at no charge! So, kudos for customer service!

The lugs may be the worst part! They are a two-piece unit, with a bottom plate and a metal "shell" that is crimped around it!

OK, so, yes, I've done a lot of bashing about this "drum". However, it is made up of actual parts you'd find on a "real" drum! With that in mind, and given that it does produce a "drum-like" sound, it would actually be ideal for a young beginner, just to see if he/she has some aptitude towards drums!

These drums are available all day on sites like eBay and I believe they can also be found on Amazon. Here's a link to a similar drum on eBay, although it is a 6-lug version. Not sure if there are any 8-luggers around. Also, if you do get one, keep away from the picollo-depth versions, which tend to suffer from even more issues. Just get a standard 5x14 and you'll be good!

Here's the link... Click Here

-Mark

Attachments